Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Assalamualaikum,

I will be traveling to the Middle East in a couple weeks in shaa Allah, and I have a bunch of questions regarding prayer. Keep in mind I am a relatively new convert, so please be patient with me.

1) I read that all prayers during travel are 2 rakat. What counts as "travel"? I will be traveling for around 14 days, going in between cities, staying a couple nights in each and going around either to nearby cities or exploring the city I am staying in each day. Is "travel" simply the plane rides and bus rides, or the whole trip, since I am not staying in the same place the whole time?

2) Part of my trip will be in Jerusalem, and I plan to pray at Al Aqsa in shaa Allah. I was warned by a Palestinian friend of mine, however, that it is very dangerous if I pray like a Shia there and I should do taqiyyah and perform my prayers like a Sunni. Given recent events, it is even more dangerous to be praying noticeable differently at Al Aqsa, as people might suspect me to be a Zionist actor and become violent. Do I have to make up prayers later that are performed in taqiyyah?

3) Just in general, what are the rulings on praying salat at a Sunni mosque with Sunnis? The nearest Shia mosque to me is 3 hours away, and I cannot drive. The nearest Sunni mosque is 15 minutes by bus. If I prayed Jummah there, would I follow the imam or do it the way we do it? Would I stand in line with all of the others, or just quietly do my own thing in the back? Background note, I am a woman, so since congregational Jummah prayers are not obligatory upon me, I have not been going to the mosque.

4) If I am in a situation where I am unable to find pure water or dust for wudu, should I pray anyway, or would they not count? Is impure water better than nothing?

5) What's up with sutrahs? Do we use those anymore, or does a prayer rug essentially outline the space necessary for salah?

JazakAllah khair and thank you for your patience with me.

1. All prayers except Maghreb are 2 ratat if you stay in any place lesser than 10 days.

2.based on news the Jerusalem is even now is dangerous for Sunni Muslims  i think if you use the stone floor of it you can pray hands down because Maliki’s sometimes prays with hands down but Sunnis are sensitive  to turbah

3.it is advised that if Sunni bro&sis  don’t get bother we pray & stay with them in a line you must check is it safe for you or not if it is safe. You can pray with them but Jumah prayer on mosque  is not obligatory for you.

4. In any circumstance we must pray at any situation( emergency cases)I think impure water is better than nothing.

5. I never seen that Shias use sutrah.in Wikipedia link it’s just mentioned for hanafis & Wahabists  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutrah

so I think it’s not good for us to act like them .but if you had to use it just use it for taqiyya.the rug is not essential but if you use it it’s better that helps you pray on a clean space.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Wa alaykum asalam.

1 hour ago, Nadiya said:

1) I read that all prayers during travel are 2 rakat. What counts as "travel"? I will be traveling for around 14 days, going in between cities, staying a couple nights in each and going around either to nearby cities or exploring the city I am staying in each day. Is "travel" simply the plane rides and bus rides, or the whole trip, since I am not staying in the same place the whole time?

Travelling 22km past the borderline of your city [the city you live and reside in] is considered a 'travel', and your prayers are turned into qasr, and your fasts will be broken if you are fasting. If you to remain in the other city you traveled to for 9 days or less, then you are still considered a traveler. If it is more than 9 days, you are to not pray qasr, and your fasts will not be broken, except on the day of your travel from your home city to the other city.

2 hours ago, Nadiya said:

4) If I am in a situation where I am unable to find pure water or dust for wudu, should I pray anyway, or would they not count? Is impure water better than nothing?

If you are unable to perform wudu or tayammum, then you can pray without doing them.

7 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

If you to remain in the other city you traveled to for 9 days or less, then you are still considered a traveler. If it is more than 9 days, you are to not pray qasr, and your fasts will not be broken, except on the day of your travel from your home city to the other city.

Does this mean if I travel to different cities, the "clock" restarts (for lack of a better term), or does the term "city" encompass anywhere 22km outside of my home city, even if I go to multiple cities at different times? (Ex. if I traveled to Jerusalem and stayed there for 3 nights, and then I traveled to Nablus and stayed for 4 nights, would that count as separate cities and therefore 2 separate travels, or simply 7 nights outside of my home city?)

38 minutes ago, Nadiya said:

Does this mean if I travel to different cities, the "clock" restarts (for lack of a better term), or does the term "city" encompass anywhere 22km outside of my home city, even if I go to multiple cities at different times? (Ex. if I traveled to Jerusalem and stayed there for 3 nights, and then I traveled to Nablus and stayed for 4 nights, would that count as separate cities and therefore 2 separate travels, or simply 7 nights outside of my home city?)

Anywhere outside your home city that’s beyond 22km will be considered a travel. If you go to multiple cities, the cities must be 22km apart for the ten day period to reset (remember when I said if you reside or intend to reside in a city for 10 or more days you will not be considered a traveler). As long as you reside in a city other than your home city  for less than 10 days you will remain a traveller. If you travel to another city but the city was not 22km away, the 10 day period will not reset.