Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

Jaw Surgery in 6 days.

My surgeon saw me and checked my teeth and midlines. His assistant said that she knew this was hard for me, but if we didn’t go through hard times then we wouldn’t appreciate the good. My SO messaged me a lot today to check up on me. Gonna go visit my surgeon again on Tuesday inshallah.

Thank for all your Duas. Without them, I might not have survived the post op electric shocks to the heart.

Gonna be discharged tomorrow morning from the ICU inshallah. 

1 minute ago, notme said:

That's good. Hopefully your recovery continues and is faster than expected.

Thank you. :)

21 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I wish I could pray. 

Pray in your hospital bed, silently if you can't speak. You can just incline your head to indicate ruku and sujood. Get a family member to bring you a stone to use for tamayyum if you can't walk to the sink to wash or if you have to keep bandages or sutures dry. 

And we will keep you in mind while we recite our prayers too. 

Breathing lots better with less blood to suction out of my mouth. Almost day two. Can feel my bottom lip more.cant really open my mouth yet. 

No nerve damage from surgery. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

Drank a lot of liquids and I feel much better, but I get tired more quickly. 

4 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Drank a lot of liquids and I feel much better, but I get tired more quickly. 

Very normal after a surgery. Did the doctor tell you there are certain things you should not drink while you are recovering? 

2 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Very normal after a surgery. Did the doctor tell you there are certain things you should not drink while you are recovering? 

Nothing with seeds or fruit particles.

4 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Nothing with seeds or fruit particles.

Can you have those nutritional drinks that are meal replacement options? (ensure, boost, glucerna nutritional shake, carnation instant breakfast, slimfast, etc.)

18 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Can you have those nutritional drinks that are meal replacement options? (ensure, boost, glucerna nutritional shake, carnation instant breakfast, slimfast, etc.)

Boost and ensure. Broths, watered down mashed potatoes. 

Follow up of chin surgery:

You may have slight swelling or stretch marks on the chin. In the first days after surgery, do not use foods that need to chew.

Most swelling disappears within six weeks and you can enjoy your new look.

There may be pain around the chin and you can not open your mouth very well, but it will resolve soon.

The chin dressing is kept for three days to keep the implant stable.

In cases where the bone is cut, the dressing is kept for five days and the patient should only use soft foods for two weeks.

Usually after ten days you will be able to do your normal activities.

43 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Follow up of chin surgery:

You may have slight swelling or stretch marks on the chin. In the first days after surgery, do not use foods that need to chew.

Most swelling disappears within six weeks and you can enjoy your new look.

There may be pain around the chin and you can not open your mouth very well, but it will resolve soon.

The chin dressing is kept for three days to keep the implant stable.

In cases where the bone is cut, the dressing is kept for five days and the patient should only use soft foods for two weeks.

Usually after ten days you will be able to do your normal activities.

Actually, I did not have chin surgery. I had double jaw surgery with bone grafts on my upper jaw and bone grafts on my flat cheeks. 

I tried to pray this morning in my head since I can’t move my mouth. Please pray that Allah will accept my efforts. 

I’ve been sleeping most days and nights and mostly waking up to drink liquids. Is this normal?

It's effect of Anesthetic medicine that takes near a month to completely removes from your body.

4 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’ve been sleeping most days and nights and mostly waking up to drink liquids. Is this normal?

Yes. Surgery is very hard on your body. You will need a lot of sleep for at least several days. 

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum Sister,

How are you?  When will you return to the dr for your check up?  Are you able to eat better?

Insh'Allah you are not in any pain.  Thinking of you on this Thursday night, Allah swt give you a quick recovery.  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum Sister,

How are you?  When will you return to the dr for your check up?  Are you able to eat better?

Insh'Allah you are not in any pain.  Thinking of you on this Thursday night, Allah swt give you a quick recovery.  

Salam Sister,

I’m much, much better, thank you for asking. Went in for a check-up with my surgeon yesterday and he said everything looks good, and tightened the wires. However, I’ve had lots of terrible ear pain on one side because of the pressure on my joints from being wired shut, so I’ve been prescribed medication to take as needed for the pain.

I’m very swollen still, so I’m putting on more ice packs and I’m trying massage my face to bring down the swelling a bit. 

I’ll return for another check-up in about a week. Inshallah things will go well then.

Since I’m wired shut, only liquid can pass through my teeth and I’m still having trouble with drinking everything because it tends to spill a lot more. 

Thank you for checking-up on me, Sister. It really means a lot to me. Hope you’re doing well. :) 

On 12/20/2017 at 9:31 PM, wolverine said:

:( Sorry you were in so much pain. When do the wires come off?  

The pain has gotten much better, though, thankfully. The wires will come off in 3 weeks inshallah and I’ll be able to only chew soft foods for some time. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wa Alikum assalam Sister @Islandsandmirrors

I don't know how you can handle all that.  You are one tough lady!  I felt weird asking Allah swt under I&M so I made du32 to the sister who had surgery.  

You are really patient sister.   I can not handle pain, I become so useless and immobile. 

Are you having hearty soups or protein shakes by straw, so you don't lose so much weight?

Alhamd'Allah it's good to hear from you sister.  I hope you have family and friends supporting you through this by visiting you or calling.  

On 12/23/2017 at 11:31 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Went in for a check-up with my surgeon yesterday and he said everything looks good, and tightened the wires.

This sounds like torture. :( 

Edited by wolverine
I think I would faint to go through that.

On 12/23/2017 at 12:34 PM, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wa Alikum assalam Sister @Islandsandmirrors

I don't know how you can handle all that.  You are one tough lady!  I felt weird asking Allah swt under I&M so I made du32 to the sister who had surgery.  

You are really patient sister.   I can not handle pain, I become so useless and immobile. 

Are you having hearty soups or protein shakes by straw, so you don't lose so much weight?

Alhamd'Allah it's good to hear from you sister.  I hope you have family and friends supporting you through this by visiting you or calling.  

Thank you! I appreciate your compliment. It was really nice to read because the first week, I didn’t feel very strong, but I’m sure the duas have helped me so much because I finally feel myself, energy-wise. 

Again, thank you for kind words. They have definitely helped me throughout this recovery. :) 

For now, I can’t drink through a straw because I can’t open my mouth at all, so I’ve been using bottles and syringes to drink lots of soup and protein/meal replacement drinks. I’ve lost 3 pounds only instead of 10 like many other people do because I try to drink soup as much as possible throughout the day (every 2-3 hours sometimes.)

My family and friends have been reaching out to me, and some have even visited me, which really helped my mood and it was a nice change for me. 

12 hours ago, wolverine said:

This sounds like torture. :( 

It was terrible in the beginning not because of the pain (I’m pretty numb still) but because I felt a bit dizzy afterward. :(