Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

Jaw Surgery in 6 days.

I had my last consultation with my oral surgeon yesterday, and in conjunction with closing my open bite (bone grafting my upper jaw, and moving it down 16 mm and moving my lower jaw up 8 mm.) since I wanted better cheekbones he suggested adding bone from the bone graft taken from my hip, and add bone to the cheekbone area. He said I still have time to decide, and while he showed me beautiful and natural before and afters, I’m still deciding. 

What should I do?!!?!

35 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I had my last consultation with my oral surgeon yesterday, and in conjunction with closing my open bite (bone grafting my upper jaw, and moving it down 16 mm and moving my lower jaw up 8 mm.) since I wanted better cheekbones he suggested adding bone from the bone graft taken from my hip, and add bone to the cheekbone area. He said I still have time to decide, and while he showed me beautiful and natural before and afters, I’m still deciding. 

Salam, Sister. You have been having jaw surgeries to solve your bite problem which is necessary. How big would the scar in the hip area be? Are you willing to suffer the surgery on your hip bone(s) to make your cheekbones look better? Maybe you should not have the hip bone graft and let your cheeks look normal. This is a difficult decision for you! 

Thank you Hameedeh for your response. I forgot to mention that I’m getting a bone graft anyway for my upper jaw to move it into the correct position, and my question is that should I extend this graft to make me have better cheekbones or just leave them be? 

Just now, Islandsandmirrors said:

Thank you Hameedeh for your response. I forgot to mention that I’m getting a bone graft anyway and my question is that should I extend this graft to make me have better cheekbones or just leave them be? 

I wouldn't take the risk if your existing cheekbones are normal. If there's no additional risk, it might be worth considering, or if your existing cheekbones are deformed to the extent that they negatively impact your life. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

I wouldn't take the risk if your existing cheekbones are normal. If there's no additional risk, it might be worth considering, or if your existing cheekbones are deformed to the extent that they negatively impact your life. 

My cheekbones (and my mid face in general) are fairly flat, and not very defined. (They used to be much worse, but braces brought them out a touch.) 

To give an example of how flat they are, people tell me constantly to put on ten pounds as to increase the fullness of my face (I’m at a normal weight) and my sister weighs the same as me, and because of her fuller face (better cheekbones and jaw line) people tell her that she looks fine. 

I saw a before and after of my bite and face with and without cheekbones. The cheekbones are very minimal, but still a positive difference. But again, I’m still deciding. My surgeon himself (I emailed him requesting the difference in profile.) likes the result with the added bones on my cheeks. When I sent the pics to my SO, he says he can’t tell the difference with regards to that. XD

The thing that’s going to be changing the most is my lips — they will be much more defined and fuller, no matter if I decide to add bone to my cheeks or not. 

Just now, wolverine said:

How long will you be eating through a straw? Do you have straws at home? Praying for your recovery from the surgeries!

I’ll be on a liquid diet for two months because of the bone graft. Inshallah I’ll buy one of those squirt bottles used for hair dye and what have you, since I’m not allowed to put anything in my mouth directly due to increased chance of infection and because I’ll have tight bands to keep my mouth closed (and possibly wired shut). 

Thank you! I really appreciate it! 

Just now, notme said:

That liquid diet for two months sounds awful. Hopefully your recovery is quick. 

I hope it won’t be as bad if I load up on chocolate shakes. :D and thank you! I hope so too. 

36 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Sister, I hope this is outpatient surgery. Or will you be hospitalized? 

I will be in the hospital for the surgery and a day and a half after, Sis. 

5 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I will be in the hospital for the surgery and a day and a half after, Sis. 

InShaAllah. Praying for your success, Sister. :) 

Salam aleykum @Islandsandmirrors

Do what will make you happy sister. If you decide to go through with it when is it going to happen? Is there a long wait? 

4 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Is this corrective surgery or plastic surgery?

I don't mean to answer for Islandsandmirrors, but it is corrective surgery to fix an open bite. I was told and read that if you don't correct it, the teeth will eventually wear out and cause some serious problems.

7 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Is this corrective surgery or plastic surgery? Because if its just plastic, then it sounds very risky and you could actually die from this. Is it worth the risk?

It’s corrective surgery, but the surgeon will aim for the best aesthetic result as well. 

Sadqa - one of the sadqa can be Taking out any amount of money with the intention of beeing safe and driving away the problems and giving that amount to the needy. Sadqa can be food, clothing, shelter given to the needy. Small sadqa can even be e smile to a beliving brother in faith( i heard something material value is prefered) concept here is to help a needy with this intention.

Surgery day is tomorrow morning. 

Please pray for me. :) 

3 hours ago, 400226 said:

In my duas for sure, inshallah it all goes well! Have you made a decision? 

I have :) I’m going with the cheekbones :) and thank you, inshallah it will! 

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Surgery day! In my hospital gown now :) 

Praying for you, Sister. :) 

My jaw is wired shut and they had to give my heart electric shocks because my heart rate dropped after surgery.

surgery and was 7 hours 

38 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

My jaw is wired shut and they had to give my heart electric shocks because my heart rate dropped after surgery.

surgery and was 7 hours 

I am glad you made it safely, sis.

Last night was the longest night of my life. I had lots of blood to be suctioned out of my mouth every hour. Drank some apple juice. Swollen. 

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Last night was the longest night of my life. I had lots of blood to be suctioned out of my mouth every hour. Drank some apple juice. Swollen. 

InShaAllah the worst part is over, Sis. Praying you heal quickly from the surgery.