Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

did the imams celebrate mawlid?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

what has this got to do with my question? i asked if the imams celebrated mawlid? of the prophet pbuh? not asking about birthdays in general, as i believe it is permissible in shi'i view and mine.

Edited by Hameedeh
Fix the quote.

All sunni & shia Muslims celebrate maw lids just wahabism is against that.

If you visiting   the link it's has sayings from Imam sajad (as)

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

thank you for sharing. 

i read it. they are talking about doing basic good deeds on that day. but not of celebration. i am talking about like throwing a party and all. a party where everything is halal. no haram component. or like, nation wide celebration, how we would compare it to todays time as a public holiday. were such things done by the imams is what i am looking for.

2 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

thank you for sharing. 

i read it. they are talking about doing basic good deeds on that day. but not of celebration. i am talking about like throwing a party and all. a party where everything is halal. no haram component. or like, nation wide celebration, how we would compare it to todays time as a public holiday. were such things done by the imams is what i am looking for.

Surah Yunus, Verse 58:
قُلْ بِفَضْلِ اللَّهِ وَبِرَحْمَتِهِ فَبِذَٰلِكَ فَلْيَفْرَحُوا هُوَ خَيْرٌ مِّمَّا يَجْمَعُونَ

Say: In the grace of Allah and in His mercy-- in that they should rejoice; it is better than that which they gather.
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 107:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِينَ

And We have not sent you but as a mercy to the worlds.
(English - Shakir)

Now dare to speak against the words of Allah!

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Salsabeel said:

Surah Yunus, Verse 58:
قُلْ بِفَضْلِ اللَّهِ وَبِرَحْمَتِهِ فَبِذَٰلِكَ فَلْيَفْرَحُوا هُوَ خَيْرٌ مِّمَّا يَجْمَعُونَ

Say: In the grace of Allah and in His mercy-- in that they should rejoice; it is better than that which they gather.
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 107:
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِينَ

And We have not sent you but as a mercy to the worlds.
(English - Shakir)

Now dare to speak against the words of Allah!

come on brother no need to be hostile. 2 can play at that game. are you implying that the imams and the true companions of the prophet pbuh dared to not only speak against Allah's words but act against them too and didnt rejoice in the birhtday of the messenger? if not, why are you so afraid of bringing me a narration which says the did rejoice. if this is indeed the true meaning of the words of Allah.

see? 2 can play at that game. having shown that, i do not believe this is the intended meaning of the words. ill tell you why. surah fatiha. we ask Allah to guide us to the path of those upon he gave his blessings/in'aam. surah baqarah ayah 40. Allah swt says(gist of it) o bani israel, indeed i bestowed upon you my favor/ni'mah. same verbs. by your logic, we are asking Allah to guide us to the path of bani israel. 

i can bring a number of verses to twist the intended meaning of an ayah. dont ignore the context of a verse. and if you want to, bring a narration to support your view as your view alone has zero value when it comes to matters of the religion, just like mine.

4 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

the true companions of the prophet pbuh dared to not only speak against Allah's words but act against them too and didnt rejoice in the birhtday of the messenger?

You expect from those who angered the daughter of Prophet, who refused to accept Ali (asws) as their leader, who fought wars with him, whom killed the daughter, brother & grandsons of Prophet, to celebrate the birthdays.

Those were the black days in the history of Islam. How can one rejoice when daughter of Prophet martyred shortly after the death of Prophet! How can one rejoice while so called muslims start fighting with Imam Ali in Jamal, Siffin, Nehrwaan! 

• Advanced Member
Just now, Salsabeel said:

You expect from those who angered the daughter of Prophet, who refused to accept Ali (asws) as their leader, who fought wars with him, whom killed the daughter, brother & grandsons of Prophet, to celebrate the birthdays.

Those were the black days in the history of Islam. How can one rejoice when daughter of Prophet martyred shortly after the death of Prophet! How can one rejoice while so called muslims start fighting with Imam Ali in Jamal, Siffin, Nehrwaan! 

for the love of God, please stop trying to pick out every single thing from my replies. you ignored the entire post and picked what you wanted to. if i wanted to refer to those you are referring to, i would have said companions. not true companions. the ONLY reason i mentioned TRUE companions was to refer only to those whom you and the entire shia community ALSO accept as companions. 

2 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

the ONLY reason i mentioned TRUE companions was to refer only to those whom you and the entire shia community ALSO accept as companions. 

The true companions were burying the Prophet, then his daughter Syeda Fatima (s.a), then were fighting with the enemies of Islam in battles of Jamal, Nehrwan, Siffin........Karbala.

• Advanced Member
Just now, Salsabeel said:

The true companions were burying the Prophet, then his daughter Syeda Fatima (s.a), then were fighting with the enemies of Islam in battles of Jamal, Nehrwan, Siffin........Karbala.

WHOEVER you believe them to be, bring a narration of them of "rejoicing" in the birthday of the messenger. this is what i asked. 

3 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

i dont see any such narration above. so by your own standards, the imams and true companions dared to go against the word of Allah.

Again, ignorance based question.

Imams & Ahlul Bayt (asws) were busy in sacrificing their lives & their progeny in saving the Touheed & Risalat. 

Already mentioned the whole history in short. 

I ask you to provide any single narration where Imams have prohibited to celebrate the birth of Prophet. Any single verse of Quran which is prohibiting to celebrate arrival of the mercy for the whole worlds.....

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Again, ignorance based question.

Imams & Ahlul Bayt (asws) were busy in sacrificing their lives & their progeny in saving the Touheed & Risalat. 

Already mentioned the whole history in short. 

I ask you to provide any single narration where Imams have prohibited to celebrate the birth of Prophet. Any single verse of Quran which is prohibiting to celebrate arrival of the mercy for the whole worlds.....

you are talking about a whole different issue. i did not make any claims about the permissibility or prohibition of celebrating the mawlid. i just wanted to know if the imams celebrated it or not. the ones in the beginning didnt. but what about after imam jafar? surely the situation had improved hugely by then, which is the main reason why imam jafar narrated so much openly, if i am not mistaken. did the imams after that also not celebrate the birthday? simple yes or not question. you can add your explanation later. try to begin your response witha yes or no.

8 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

i just wanted to know if the imams celebrated it or not.

And I told you why they were deprived to celebrate that blessed day. 

Celebrating blessed days are in accodance with the teachings of Quran & Ahlul Bayt (asws).

Surah Ad-Dukhan, Verse 3:
إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ

Surely We revealed it on a blessed night surely We are ever warning--
(English - Shakir)

Muslims celebrate Lailatul Qadr, Shab e bara'at etc. So you celebrate the night in which Quran was revealed but you dont celebrate the day on which that very heart came to this world upon which Quran was revealed...... that is very strange indeed!

• Veteran Member

What's the harm in celebrating the birth of the Prophet (PBUH) ?

Seriously, what are we Sunnis now that we have to stop using our common sense on this matter and run around yelling "Bidah, bidah, bidah"? We are simply celebrating the birth of our most revered Prophet (PBUH).

Was the concept of anyone's birthday celebration even around in the days of the Imams(AS)? Was it something that was practiced culturally in those days? Did they celebrate anyone's birthday annually?

Even if it wasn't...then what's the harm in celebrating it now ???

Why do we need authentic hadiths and all that when we can use our common sense to understand the reasoning and concept behind it nowadays ? :einstein:

• Advanced Member
32 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

And I told you why they were deprived to celebrate that blessed day. 

Celebrating blessed days are in accodance with the teachings of Quran & Ahlul Bayt (asws).

Surah Ad-Dukhan, Verse 3:
إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ فِي لَيْلَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ إِنَّا كُنَّا مُنذِرِينَ

Surely We revealed it on a blessed night surely We are ever warning--
(English - Shakir)

Muslims celebrate Lailatul Qadr, Shab e bara'at etc. So you celebrate the night in which Quran was revealed but you dont celebrate the day on which that very heart came to this world upon which Quran was revealed...... that is very strange indeed!

i dont know about shia views but according to the correct sunni view, celebrating lailatul qadr and shabe barat isnt what is to be done. muslims doing something doesnt make it right. i never said i had a problem with anyone celebrating mawlid. i just wanted to know if the imams did it. and you said they were deprived. i am asking about the imams after imam jafar. how were they deprived? who was being oppressed or killed then? who was sacrificing their life then? i ask because i do not know. so enlighten me.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

What's the harm in celebrating the birth of the Prophet (PBUH) ?

Seriously, what are we Sunnis now that we have to stop using our common sense on this matter and run around yelling "Bidah, bidah, bidah"? We are simply celebrating the birth of our most revered Prophet (PBUH).

Was the concept of anyone's birthday celebration even around in the days of the Imams(AS)? Was it something that was practiced culturally in those days? Did they celebrate anyone's birthday annually?

Even if it wasn't...then what's the harm in celebrating it now ???

Why do we need authentic hadiths and all that when we can use our common sense to understand the reasoning and concept behind it nowadays ? :einstein:

who said there is any harm in celebrating birthday? i simply asked a question as to whether the imams did it or not. try not to read into it too much or assume that i am against mawlid. i may be. but you dont know that so dont assume ;)

5 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

but according to the correct sunni view, celebrating lailatul qadr and shabe barat isnt what is to be done. muslims doing something doesnt make it right.

So you dont perform/offer special a'amaal/prayers in these blessed nights? You simply just let them go?

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 3:
لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ

The grand night is better than a thousand months.
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 4:
تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ

The angels and Jibreel descend in it by the permission of their Lord for every affair,
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 5:
سَلَامٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ

Peace! it is till the break of the morning.
(English - Shakir)

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Salsabeel said:

So you dont perform/offer special a'amaal/prayers in these blessed nights? You simply just let them go?

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 3:
لَيْلَةُ الْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍ

The grand night is better than a thousand months.
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 4:
تَنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ

The angels and Jibreel descend in it by the permission of their Lord for every affair,
(English - Shakir)

Surah Al-Qadr, Verse 5:
سَلَامٌ هِيَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ الْفَجْرِ

Peace! it is till the break of the morning.
(English - Shakir)

i said celebrate. i didnt say worship. celebrating it, no. worship and extra a'maal, yes, but only in lailatul qadr. no such thing as shab e baraat. even if there is, the messenger pbuh didnt do any extra worship in it or take extra care for that night. so i follow his example and do nothing extra.

11 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

i said celebrate. i didnt say worship. celebrating it, no. worship and extra a'maal, yes, but only in lailatul qadr. no such thing as shab e baraat. even if there is, the messenger pbuh didnt do any extra worship in it or take extra care for that night. so i follow his example and do nothing extra.

Peace!

Our celebration starts with worshiping & praising Allah (s.w.t) and ends on it.

Surah Al-Fatiha, Verse 2:
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.
(English - Shakir)

Surah Yunus, Verse 10:
دَعْوَاهُمْ فِيهَا سُبْحَانَكَ اللَّهُمَّ وَتَحِيَّتُهُمْ فِيهَا سَلَامٌ وَآخِرُ دَعْوَاهُمْ أَنِ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

Their cry in it shall be: Glory to Thee, O Allah! and their greeting in it shall be: Peace; and the last of their cry shall be: Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
(English - Shakir)

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, just a muslim said:

did they? any of the 12? can someone provide a reference if yes?

Shia Islam uses a very simple concept. Everything is permissible unless it is expressly forbidden. Therefore, the onus is not on us to prove whether any Imams (as) celebrated the birth of the Prophet (saw). 

The onus is on you to prove that celebrating the Prophet's (saw) birthday is haram. Please provide a reference for it.

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Shia Islam uses a very simple concept. Everything is permissible unless it is expressly forbidden. Therefore, the onus is not on us to prove whether any Imams (as) celebrated the birth of the Prophet (saw). 

The onus is on you to prove that celebrating the Prophet's (saw) birthday is haram. Please provide a reference for it.

i never said it is haram to celebrate mawlid. i dont believe it is haram. sunni islam has the same principle. all is good unless expressly forbidden. i simply just want to know if the imams did it or not. any answer wont affect the permissibiloty of it. i am just curious. that is all. i dont know why everyone keeps assuming im a mawlid hater.

• Veteran Member
26 minutes ago, just a muslim said:

i never said it is haram to celebrate mawlid. i dont believe it is haram. sunni islam has the same principle. all is good unless expressly forbidden. i simply just want to know if the imams did it or not. any answer wont affect the permissibiloty of it. i am just curious. that is all. i dont know why everyone keeps assuming im a mawlid hater.

Because you are questioning it.

No offense brother but what starts as a question today, ends up with as a sufi or shia mosque bombing tomorrow.

As for the Imams celebrating the birth of the Prophet. Let's discuss what happens during the celebration - people greet each other nicely (islamic), people praise Allah (islamic), people narrate stories about the Prophet (saw) (islamic). 

The Quran itself acknowledges that Allah exalted the Prophet (94.4) so celebrating the birth of the Prophet (saw) is exalting him (saw) in the sunnah of Allah and you are questioning this?

Based on what takes place during the celebration of the Prophet (saw), I believe Imams did this every day. And if you dont believe this, then believe that the Prophet (saw) is exalted everyday when every Muslim recites his name in the adha'an.

Edited by shiaman14

Return to the original nature. "(5) Today is only the joy of the day that God accepted his fast and thanked him. Every day that God does not disobey, he is righteous. In the infallible traditions (as well) many times have been mentioned, as well as the past Amir al-Mu'minin Ali (as) every day that faith and sin is not the day of the Eid. From Sweide, Ibn Ghaflah has been quoted saying: "On the Day of Eid I came to Amir al-Mu'minīnīn 'Ali (peace be upon him) and saw that he was wheat and originated (6) and mustache 7). So I told the Imam about the day of the feast and day? The Imam(sa) said: ", this is the day that somebody  forgiven." (8) As well as in one of the prophets, the Imam said: "The Imam (as)

" today is the only day to accept his fast and worship it. , Every day that God does not have disobedience, is the true holy day. In Islamic narratives, for the sake of Eid, especially religious verses, including Eid al-Fitr, certain traditions and customs are recommended; in a tradition of the Infallible(peace be upon him): "Zinawa, Iaidkam Baltkabir"; Ayda'i Emphasize yourself with the adornment of Zaynat. "Zinvala'idin Baltahalil, Al-Tabbir and al-Qa'im and Al-Qaeda"; Eid al-Fitr and al-Qur'an by saying Laleh Allah, Allah Kabir, Al-Hamdullah and Sabhallah, Zaynat Blok.Pay writings: 1- Dehkhoda, Zaydid, Zabidy, Taj al-Uros, c 8, pp. 438-439.2- The meaning of the Arabic language, c.3, p. 319.3- Ibn the order of the same Zubidy / Taj al-Ursu, 43/8/8, Ibn-i-Mordan / Zabidi / 8 / 839.5- Sample comment, C / 5 131.6- A feed of flour and milk. 7. Food or Sweets made with milk. 8. Majlesi, Biar al-Anwar , C. 40 / p. 73.

https://article.tebyan.net/13948/هر-روزی-كه-خداوند-مورد-نافرمانی-قرار-نگیرد-عید-است

This is about Eid al Fitr that Imam Ali (as) celebrated that day & said each they that we don't disobey Allah that day is Eid so for celebration of holy days such as Mawlid of prophet Mohammad  (pbu) is the day that we dont disobey the Allah (saw) & any muslim  that doesn't celebrate this day disobeys the Allah (saw)

If celebrating such this days were Haram at least on of Imams(as) would forbidden it but non of them forbidden it & you must mention that Shias can perform freely near 1000 years ago that Abasid dynasty weekend & after that moguls fell down them by Teymour that his adviser was Tusi (famous Shia scholar that narrated shia hadiths)

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
  • Advanced Member
On 12/7/2017 at 11:36 PM, shiaman14 said:

Because you are questioning it.

No offense brother but what starts as a question today, ends up with as a sufi or shia mosque bombing tomorrow.

woah woah. i am just here to learn what the imams did. nothing else.

As for the Imams celebrating the birth of the Prophet. Let's discuss what happens during the celebration - people greet each other nicely (islamic), people praise Allah (islamic), people narrate stories about the Prophet (saw) (islamic).

should we not greet each other nicely at all times? praise Allah? narrating stories is fine as the day has to do with the prophet pbuh and reminds us more of him that usual. 

also, these are fine imo. but that is not what i am looking for. i was looking for whether the imams themselves did something extra for the mawlid. i ask that because from shia perspective, should not the way of imams be the best way? and if they didnt do something while they could, does that not mean there is not much good in doing it? regardless of this, i still say it is fine to celebrate it in the way mentioned above.

The Quran itself acknowledges that Allah exalted the Prophet (94.4) so celebrating the birth of the Prophet (saw) is exalting him (saw) in the sunnah of Allah and you are questioning this?

bad analogy. Allah swt doing something does not mean we should do it too. countless counter examples exist.

even then, exalting the prophet is also fine. but the quran doesnt say celebrating the birth is equal to exalting him. you are saying that. if you wanna exalt him, exalt him generally all year round. fixing it to a particular time is bidah, as you are making it an ibadah by referring it to the quran. can specify commands/rulings on our own. thats basic law.

Based on what takes place during the celebration of the Prophet (saw), I believe Imams did this every day. And if you dont believe this, then believe that the Prophet (saw) is exalted everyday when every Muslim recites his name in the adha'an.

making such a thing a basis for determining the actions of the imams will be quite troublesome for you. as you will be left to deal with a lot of other things.

also, doing it every day is excellent. but that would not mean to take extra care for mawlid.

Question 26: Is celebrating the birthday of the saints {awliya’} of God a kind of polytheism and innovation {bid‘ah}?

Reply: Although honoring the memory of meritorious servants of God by celebrating their birthday is an indisputable issue from the perspective of learned men, in a bid to remove any kind of doubt in this regard, we shall examine the proofs supporting its legitimacy.

https://www.al-islam.org/shia-rebuts-sayyid-rida-husayni-nasab/question-26-celebrating-birthday-saints-awliya-kind-polytheism

• Advanced Member
On ‎7‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 3:56 PM, just a muslim said:

what has this got to do with my question? i asked if the imams celebrated mawlid? of the prophet pbuh? not asking about birthdays in general, as i believe it is permissible in shi'i view and mine.

The Prophet s.a.w.a.s. used to fast on mondays because it was the day he s.a.w.a.s. was born and the Quran was sent down. 

What is haram according to you? To perform acts of worship on the Day of Mawlid. Or to perform acts of worship on that particular day?

What's your point anyway? Those who comdemn the celebration of Mawlid and ye;; shirk and bidah at the same time support the bombing of Yemen and keep their mouth shut about Trump declaring Jerusalem the capital of Israel. 

Stop making a fuss of such futile things. The scholars who start such debates are dibverting us from the real problems of the Ummah. 

Making an elephant out of an ant.

Edited by Faruk
  • Advanced Member
On ‎7‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 6:39 PM, just a muslim said:

Behold! Safa and Marwa are among the Symbols of Allah. So if those who visit the House in the Season or at other times, should compass them round, it is no sin in them. And if any one obeyeth his own impulse to good,- be sure that Allah is He Who recogniseth and knoweth.

— Surah 2, Al-Baqarah, Ayah 158[