Guest silasun

World Cup 2018!

Rate this topic

On 2018-01-29 at 7:58 PM, Hamodiii said:

Hope germany wins!

I wrote it before you, brother!

And certainly I like their game, how they pass the ball before you can see them! Long shots, and they are fast.

Edited by Hamodiii

5 minutes ago, Hamodiii said:

I wrote it before you, brother!

And certainly I like their game, how they pass the ball before you can see them! Long shots, and they are fast.

You "pass" in Amerikan Football, not FuBball (soccer).

Yeah, l know some manuals use the lingo of basketball -pass,dribble-- but this must be new.

Edited by hasanhh

On 2/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, Hamodiii said:

Wanna fight? Find me in the resturant below your house.

We do not have the requisite martial status.

However, we can do numbchucks-over-the-fibre-optics  :brucelee:

You have been after me like a little sister all day.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:15 AM, Sumerian said:

We are the last Muslim country to win the Asian Cup. The victory of 2007 sends shivers down people's spines even until now. 

I mean that's fine and all (I wanted Iraq to win that one), but firstly, that was over ten years ago. Their roster is almost entirely composed of different players now. And secondly, the WCQ determine who go to the world cup, not 11-years-ago Asian cups.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:56 AM, realizm said:

:salam:

Brother, you are talking to a sister. She fundamentally does not care about sports. That was my funny comment.

I for one, am a brother who admit wasting time when I need some rest. But football, boxing, all games watched by half the planet (during night time for some) hypnotized by world federations advertising, brands' sponsorship and famous players driving this car and married to that beauty, has definitely something of a Dajjal system in my opinion.

This has nothing to do with what sports should be : a physical activity in the first place. Ironically, you will find that the simplest though hardest of all sports, marathon, has a very low media coverage. 

So yes, actually, sports are quite often a distraction for the masses, and distraction rarely has a good meaning from a religious perspective.

It has the potential to be a huge distraction, but even in the worst case scenario, it is probably the most innocuous distraction there is. (compare it to the likes of facebook or to propagandistic TV series and so on)

And in the best case scenario, it can do a lot of good. Muhammad Ali was able to guide people to the truth, in a multitude of ways (either making them aware of Islam, making them aware of criminal imperialist wars, or waking people up to racial injustice and that). I don't think a statesman or an academic could have done what he did.

Ali Parvin (old timer in Iranian footie) once asked Imam Khomeini during the war the fiqhi status of football. And Imam said to him that the footballers should continue playing, and that the field of play is their field of battle, essentially. We saw this during the 1998 world cup. Make no mistake about it: that game meant a lot. It sure as hell meant a lot to the Americans. The American captain (Claudio Reina or something or other) tried to brush it off at some point before the game because the American reporters kept badgering the players. It was a very important game, and the Americans don't really talk about it much. (If they had won, you better believe they would be talking about it to this day).

On 2/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, baradar_jackson said:

It was a very important game, and the Americans don't really talk about it much. (If they had won, you better believe they would be talking about it to this day).

its still sweetest play & won of Iran for me:clap:it's also my birthday day.:party:

8 hours ago, hasanhh said:

As l noted to notme on "thoughts", until a couple of minutes ago l thought you were a sister.

Honestly, sorry bro.

Should I get offended? :/

On 2/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, baradar_jackson said:

I mean that's fine and all (I wanted Iraq to win that one), but firstly, that was over ten years ago. Their roster is almost entirely composed of different players now. And secondly, the WCQ determine who go to the world cup, not 11-years-ago Asian cups.

It has the potential to be a huge distraction, but even in the worst case scenario, it is probably the most innocuous distraction there is. (compare it to the likes of facebook or to propagandistic TV series and so on)

And in the best case scenario, it can do a lot of good. Muhammad Ali was able to guide people to the truth, in a multitude of ways (either making them aware of Islam, making them aware of criminal imperialist wars, or waking people up to racial injustice and that). I don't think a statesman or an academic could have done what he did.

Ali Parvin (old timer in Iranian footie) once asked Imam Khomeini during the war the fiqhi status of football. And Imam said to him that the footballers should continue playing, and that the field of play is their field of battle, essentially. We saw this during the 1998 world cup. Make no mistake about it: that game meant a lot. It sure as hell meant a lot to the Americans. The American captain (Claudio Reina or something or other) tried to brush it off at some point before the game because the American reporters kept badgering the players. It was a very important game, and the Americans don't really talk about it much. (If they had won, you better believe they would be talking about it to this day).

Where there are world federations, there is imperialistic hegemony. 

I cannot understand the need for Muslim countries to fit in. We boycott Cannes, Nobel prize, why defending sports business to such an extent ? 

See what post Ottoman Turkey turned into, besiktas supporters performing a new kind of «Zikr»

https://youtu.be/9cgwWMoO9x8

On 2/4/2018 at 5:48 AM, realizm said:

I cannot understand the need for Muslim countries to fit in. We boycott Cannes, Nobel prize, why defending sports business to such an extent ?

Because sports has a potential that these things lack (I am assuming you are referring to the Nobel peace prize, right? Regular nobel prize is fine)

Sports has a potential for amr bil maaroof. It has the potential for starting a complete revolution in people's minds.

Forget about the politics of it. We all know it's crooked. FIFA are the biggest crooks in the world. That's not the point.

Think about the example of the likes of Muhammad Ali. Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Kianoush Rostami. All who used sports as a platform not only for their own well-being and personal growth but for the advancement of truth.

On 2/4/2018 at 5:48 AM, realizm said:

Where there are world federations, there is imperialistic hegemony. 

See what post Ottoman Turkey turned into, besiktas supporters performing a new kind of «Zikr»

https://youtu.be/9cgwWMoO9x8

1] But we do not boycott the Olympics even though it is clearly pagan-practice celebrating idol worship. Revived in 1896.

2] The video:  The DPRK has the best mass-choreography.

23 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Because sports has a potential that these things lack (I am assuming you are referring to the Nobel peace prize, right? Regular nobel prize is fine)

Sports has a potential for amr bil maaroof. It has the potential for starting a complete revolution in people's minds.

Forget about the politics of it. We all know it's crooked. FIFA are the biggest crooks in the world. That's not the point.

Think about the example of the likes of Muhammad Ali. Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Kianoush Rostami. All who used sports as a platform not only for their own well-being and personal growth but for the advancement of truth.

In theory, yes. In practice, far from it.

Matter of fact, very few people "practice" sports. They just follow.

23 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Sports has discipline. If you stay healthy through sports (don't forget Pahlevani and Zoorkhaneh) then you can defend yourself, your family, your neighbors, your community, etc.)

1 hour ago, baradar_jackson said:

But I just gave you some practical examples.

Honestly brother, for one Muhammad Ali, how many McGregors, Franck Riberys or Maradonas? 

For one Baradar Jackson, how many unemployed youth with an yearly pass at Anfield, Velodrome, and Bein Sports ?

In practice, sports are driving people away from spirituality, social responsabilities and chivalry.

6 minutes ago, realizm said:

Honestly brother, for one Muhammad Ali, how many McGregors, Franck Riberys or Maradonas? 

For one Baradar Jackson, how many unemployed youth with an yearly pass at Anfield, Velodrome, and Bein Sports ?

In practice, sports are driving people away from spirituality, social responsabilities and chivalry.

I understand what you are saying.

But regarding your first point (about how rare Muhammad Ali was), but the problem with that is: I think you can even say the same about religion and spirituality. There is going to be a small minority of individuals who truly derive the greatest benefit from religion. How many people subscribe to religion but clearly they are not reaching their full spiritual potential. Obviously neither you nor I nor any rational person will then reach the conclusion that religion itself is to blame.

Sport in and of itself is beneficial. I think where guys like McGregor meet their downfall is not really the sport itself but the money, fame, and lifestyle that it brings.

Regarding the hooliganism, the tribalism of the sports fan community, and the distraction it creates for the masses... yeah that's all terrible. I think any rational person would concede these points to you. But for the sake of comparison I am going to give you a worst-case scenario. An individual who came up out of poverty through basketball and still managed to blow his fortune on God knows what, along with having some major personal/moral issues, and who played (most of his career) for a city whose fans are the epitome of hooliganism and drunken fanaticism: Allen Iverson.

Putting all those negatives aside... anybody can turn on a clip of Allen Iverson highlights and be inspired by the grace, skill, determination, toughness, grit, and willpower with which he played the game. It's right there on the video tape, preserved forever. Or take Jack LaMotta, for example. Another man with many demons. But seeing him get slaughtered again and again by Sugar Ray Robinson and not get knocked down... there's something inspirational in that.

This is what I'm saying. I'm saying sports allows something to be salvaged even from the feats of these fractured individuals. And even from the perspective of the most dense of consumers (and trust me, I'm one of the densest), just see it as 2 hours where people can be watching this, instead of, say, "Game of Thrones" or "American sniper" or some other such nonsense.

Just last night was the biggest sporting event of the year in the US. I personally can't stand the Super Bowl because of how big of a "pop culture" nonsense event it has become in the last 20-30 or so years. But even after this horrible time-wasting event, complete with absurd TV ads and lewd half time show concern... what do we see? They interview the game's MVP Nick Foles and he says: all glory to God. Foles' story as a whole was incredibly inspirational; he was viewed as a "one year wonder" after his one good season in 2013, then bounced around the league as a backup before landing back with his original team (the Eagles), who lost their young stud franchise quarterback late this season to injury, thrusting Foles back into the starting lineup. And he actually wins them a championship; the first Super Bowl victory in the history of (an admittedly trashy city) Philadelphia.

TL;DR: sports is salvageable even when it's at its worst, whereas many of our other hobbies and time-fillers, are most certainly not

On 2/5/2018 at 4:14 PM, baradar_jackson said:

what do we see? They interview the game's MVP Nick Foles and he says: all glory to God. Foles' story as a whole was incredibly inspirational; he was viewed as a "one year wonder" after his one good season in 2013, then bounced around the league as a backup before landing back with his original team (the Eagles), who lost their young stud franchise quarterback late this season to injury, thrusting Foles back into the starting lineup. And he actually wins them a championship; the first Super Bowl victory in the history of (an admittedly trashy city) Philadelphia.

Same for the Coach. First thing he did was thank Jesus which on the one hand I detest but respect at the same time.

Don't forget Kurt Warner. The guy went from stocking groceries to winning the SuperBowl and a man who believed in God.

SPORTS IS GOOD.

1 hour ago, baradar_jackson said:

Where's Ghouchannejad?

Too old and slow. Might have an impact as a sub, but I'd consider bringing on both Kaveh Rezaei and Ansarifard before I turned to Gucci (based on recent form).

Can't really see him starting over either of Taremi or Azmoun. He was past his prime even before the '14 World Cup.