Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silasun

World Cup 2018!

England vs. Croatia in the semis, who'd have thunk?

This is traditionally Holland vs. Argentina territory.

Croatia are favs vs England.  Should be an open game which will suit Croatia.  The best strategy for England would be to rely on set pieces and get some pace on the wings for counter attacks.

10 hours ago, King said:

Croatia are favs vs England.  Should be an open game which will suit Croatia.  The best strategy for England would be to rely on set pieces and get some pace on the wings for counter attacks.

England will control large swathes of possession when they play Croatia on Wednesday, which is how they've been playing all tournament long (barring the match their reserves played against Belgium's reserves).

What scares me is how the quintessentially English tactic of three at the back will cope against Belgian or French counters should they reach the final.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

7 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

England will control large swathes of possession when they play Croatia on Wednesday, which is how they've been playing all tournament long (barring the match their reserves played against Belgium's reserves).

What scares me is how the quintessentially English tactic of three at the back will cope against Belgian or French counters should they reach the final.

What makes you think England will control possession when Croatia has a far stronger midfield?  England has not faced a single strong opposition so far that is skilled on the ball.  Croatia will be their first test.

Edited by King

15 hours ago, King said:

What makes you think England will control possession when Croatia has a far stronger midfield?  England has not faced a single strong opposition so far that is skilled on the ball.  Croatia will be their first test.

How does Croatia have a far stronger midfield? How does that even dictate the majority of possession?

Rakitic and Modric are sensational passers of the ball, but both are not what they once were. Neither is it beneficial to have two players of very similar molds in a Starting XI, especially when the two are far and away your best options. Secondly, Croatia's supporting cast of Perisic, Kovacic, etc. doesn't even come close to the skill and creative ability of the Lingards and Allis of the world. They'd be a much more dangerous side in my mind if their technical ability wasn't so concentrated in the CAM/CM position — like having an actual world class striker that can run for more than 60 minutes per game, for example.

I really can't see Croatia controlling possession in the face of England's style of play, and anyone who thinks Croatia has an advantage over England in any position outside of the midfield is fooling themselves. Sure England might be young, unblooded, a taghut colonialist, and home to the World Cup's most obnoxious fans, but they have to be favorites going into this semi-final.

5 hours ago, shiasoldier786 said:

English media full of praise for Gareth Southgate as if he has pulled a miracle. 

We have just beaten Tunisia, Panama, Columbia (in pens) and Sweden to get here. Next two games will be the real test.

Like i said

ENGLAND ONLY NEEDS LUCK

14 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

How does Croatia have a far stronger midfield? How does that even dictate the majority of possession?

Rakitic and Modric are sensational passers of the ball, but both are not what they once were. Neither is it beneficial to have two players of very similar molds in a Starting XI, especially when the two are far and away your best options. Secondly, Croatia's supporting cast of Perisic, Kovacic, etc. doesn't even come close to the skill and creative ability of the Lingards and Allis of the world. They'd be a much more dangerous side in my mind if their technical ability wasn't so concentrated in the CAM/CM position — like having an actual world class striker that can run for more than 60 minutes per game, for example.

I really can't see Croatia controlling possession in the face of England's style of play, and anyone who thinks Croatia has an advantage over England in any position outside of the midfield is fooling themselves. Sure England might be young, unblooded, a taghut colonialist, and home to the World Cup's most obnoxious fans, but they have to be favorites going into this semi-final.

It's sort of obvious that Croatia has a stronger midfield and generally the team with the stronger midfield controls more of the possession. Two of the same types of players? Any team would love to have two quality playmakers even if they were clones.  Also, Modric is pretty much the premier midfielder in the world, if you actually watched RM play this year you would realize he should finish as a top 5 ballondor candidate. 

Like the rest of the British media, you are just high off the recent success against mediocre teams.  There are areas where England is superior, especially with pace and set pieces but they just are not skillful enough to dominate possession against Croatia.

As far as who the favorites are, it's a matter of opinion, but teams are similarly good. 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, baradar_jackson said:

If England "brings it home," I will bring the suicide pill "home" to my mouth. I seriously won't be able to stomach an England cup win.

Ayat 4:29

Croatia has a better midfield. 

England is better up front (Kane over Manduzic)

England has a slightly better defence including goalkeeper.

England wins 2-1.

@baradar_jackson - hang in there brother.

England has won the WC once in 1966 and they are "bringing it home". What idiots!!! Brazil, Italy and Germany have a much bigger claim to

" bring it home"

1 hour ago, ShiaMan14 said:

England has won the WC once in 1966 and they are "bringing it home". What idiots!!! Brazil, Italy and Germany have a much bigger claim to

" bring it home"

How do they do it, you ask? It's simple: they are the most obnoxious fans in the world, that's how.

9 hours ago, Natsu said:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE 

"la Resistance" was/is Communist and centered in urban areas during the Occupation by the evil-Nazi .

The Maquis was the rural centerd anti-Nazi groups. Escaped P0Ws, anti-Vichy, and so on.

You are giving praise to Commies by saying this.

7 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

"la Resistance" was/is Communist and centered in urban areas during the Occupation by the evil-Nazi .

The Maquis was the rural centerd anti-Nazi groups. Escaped P0Ws, anti-Vichy, and so on.

You are giving praise to Commies by saying this.

WOW!

i had no ideaa

Edited by Natsu

Not surprised to be honest.

They were given this World Cup on a plate. Teams like Sweden and Croatia are hardly the international premier league and they still messed it up. I doubt they'd make it this far in the next World Cup.

I reckon France will win this one.

Sign in to follow this