Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silasun

World Cup 2018!

I know nobody cares anymore but I'm finally ready to talk about Iran vs. Portugal

Firstly, let's clarify something: these boys are not footballers. They are fighters. They were not playing a child's game; they were fighting like their lives depended on it. And that's precisely the attitude they were supposed to have. Mashallah, 1000 times mashAllah to these boys for laying it all on the line. "We are responsible for dispensing our duty, not for the result." They dispensed their duty, but unfortunately did not get the desired result. Nobody on EARTH will deny their honor or their fighting spirit. And while most football fans will probably forget all about it within a few weeks, I will never forget their performance. And I will always respect them for it.

Now as for the actual game...

Firstly, I think whoever suggested there was some VAAAAST gap between Portugal (aside from Ronaldo) is certainly reconsidering those thoughts now. A hard-fought 1-1 tie in which Ronaldo was more or less completely shut down? One could only imagine what Iran could have done if Portugal did not have such a transcendent talent to draw so much defensive attention.

This also confirms what any of us who have been watching these boys since the last Cup, already knew: the Spain game was not a fluke (it was a fluke Spanish win but was not a fluke strong performance by Iran). These guys came to slay a dragon; they weren't just happy to be there. Their reactions after the Portugal game says it all: they were all in tears, collapsing on the field. Mehdi Taremi looked like he needed to call the suicide hotline. Just because some snarky people on the internet think they had no chance means nothing to them; they went into this group -- which, make no doubt about it, WAS the group of death -- with the intention to conquer it. And they came very close.

Re: the penalty. Ronaldo fanboys have been going nuts about this; they are upset that Ronaldo has to face ratboy Luis Suarez and Uruguay instead of a (perceived) weaker Russian team. They should shut their faces about it; I did not think it was a penalty, but 1) a similar penalty had already been called earlier in the cup and no one cared because it didn't affect Ronaldo, and 2) this penalty was obviously a make-up call for the previous no-call in which the VAR challenge was not accepted. THAT one was a clear penalty. If anything, the delayed penalty call helped Portugal, because by the time Iran scored they were already in stoppage time.

Ronaldo deserved a sendoff.

Alireza Beiranvand probably won't be on the NT for much longer but I have enjoyed watching this young emotional Lor and his chaotic genius.

Quaresma also deserved a sendoff.

Iran allowed two goals in their three games: a flukey pinball against Spain and an impossible-to-defend banger from Quaresma. It sucks but we have to be satisfied with that. The Portuguese players were having to shoot from much longer distances than they cared to, and rarely were able to counter and operate in space the way they like do. We faced two very dangerous (and very different) teams and were able to contain them both. Unfortunately they both scored but inshAllah the next time around we're more experienced and can work in some more threatening counter-attack action. (Dejagah is always great in that situation but I guess Quieroz didn't think he was healthy enough).

Overall I'm devastated but proud.

@ShiaMan14 You know that's not how it is. We all do. It's very low-hanging fruit: someone mentions God in the context of sports, is immediately mocked because "there are more important things." God is not absent from any human affair. So even if God is not directly determining the outcome of this or that game, for example, God has established the laws of nature. And this extends to sports and fitness: if one side is more skilled (due to either training, genetics, or any other factor), better prepared, etc... then chances are, they will win. Well God did not intervene in the outcome but God established the laws of nature which reward those who possess the characteristics which lead to victory.

@Shaykh Patience101 I think I'm gonna have to get Mehdi Taj's contact details from you because I most definitely want a kit from one of these guys. I am so proud of them.

4 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

someone mentions God in the context of sports

Salam personally ,I prayed for victory of Iran & rest of Iranians if  we were praying for reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) he would reappear during WC 2018 ,I'm sorry that I can't pray for his reappearance as I prayed for Team Melli of Iran:sign_sorry:

:bismillah:

:ws:

Jahanbaksh's suitors are expected to face 'stiff' competition from each other to sign him this summer. And he's the one Iranian attacking player actually capable of long-term success in Europe just off of his current skill set.

Azmoun really needs to leave Russia; hopefully Napoli's still interested after a poor domestic season.

Rezaeian was the one player who really stood out for me throughout the World Cup, shutting down the likes of Ronaldo, Isco, David Silva, and Amine Harit. His performances are sure to pique the curiosity of teams much bigger than Oostende in Belgium.

Ansarifard's World Cup goal and ability to play centrally or on the wing might also lead to a transfer, although Olympiakos is big anyway.

I still think Beiranvand is young enough to be seen as the goalkeeper of the future (he'll only be 29 by the time the Qatar World Cup rolls around). Based on Haghighi and Abedzadeh's precedent, that might be enough to earn him a ticket to at least a second-tier in a major European country (if a lucrative Persepolis contract and his two young kids don't convince him to stay).

Hosseini and Ezatolahi are the backbone of the team going forward, and need to move bigger leagues as soon as they can. Ezatolahi really looks ready.

Taremi and Pouraliganji can and must leave the Arab leagues for greener pastures.

Let's hope Graham Potter brings Ghoddos to Swansea.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

@baradar_jackson

Iran had a valid t effort and I am sure all shias including were rooting for Iran.

While I pray just as hard as the next guy for my team to win, rationally speaking we should keep God or religion out of sports. Just my 2 cents.

Comment from English commentator after the Germany loss, "well we know England won't be losing to Germany on penalties this WC."

Too funny

2 hours ago, shiasoldier786 said:

Poland and Tunisia are out bro 

l must have read an incorrect post from the table on Google.

l'm watching Senegal vs. Columbia now.

Senegal is "asking" for yellow cards. One player at ~11 minutes was airborne and then forearmed a player in the neck.  :angry:

Addendum: l just checked, it reads Poland-Japan is 28 minutes into their game, and Tunisia's game is in 2 1/2 hours.

Edited by hasanhh
Addendum

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l must have read an incorrect post from the table on Google.

l'm watching Senegal vs. Columbia now.

Senegal is "asking" for yellow cards. One player at ~11 minutes was airborne and then forearmed a player in the neck.  :angry:

Im watching japan vs poland

even tho poland is out

its more fun

6 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

"Out" to me means the team is no longer playing. Not out-of-contention.  :furious:"ShiaMan14, how can you confuse your elders like that?"

Lol

if poland wins from japan

japan may get disqualified so its a tough match

4 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

I am not sure if I understand what you mean. What do you mean?

Watch the WC from 1994 where Brazil won and displayed a huge banner about Jesus.

Jesus had nothing to do with Brazil winning.

As fans, we all pray that our team wins but in reality, it's not prayers. It's training, practice, hard work and a bit of luck.

2 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Watch the WC from 1994 where Brazil won and displayed a huge banner about Jesus.

Jesus had nothing to do with Brazil winning.

As fans, we all pray that our team wins but in reality, it's not prayers. It's training, practice, hard work and a bit of luck.

Here's the problem: literally nobody has ever said that winning does not necessitate those things. Literally no one. Neither those Brazilians, nor Nick Foles when he said "Glory to God" as he accepted his super bowl MVP trophy. Nor Khabib when he says alhamdulillah after he wins a fight. If they thought the way you seem to think they think, then they wouldn't have bothered putting in all the work they had to have put in. Feel me?

You are arguing against an argument which literally no one has ever made.

Now, having said that, let me put it this way: if you won the World Cup, would you NOT be thankful to God for it? I don't think there is a single Muslim in the world who would suggest you would not be obliged to be thankful to God for that, or for any other blessing in life. That's more or less the essential core of our worldview: that there is NO existence independent of God. Whether it's our petty little 9-5 job which sustains our life, or an international football tournament, whatever extent we reach is only thanks to God. This is the inescapable truth.

Re: prayers. There are, obviously, prerequisites to certain prayers. If you pray to get a job, you are obviously also obliged to do other tasks which prepare you for getting that job. If you pray to get cured of an ailment, obviously you must pursue any relevant treatment or dietary plans which can help you to better your situation. But this does not make the prayers themselves unnecessary: the prayers are still very much necessary. And regardless of whether we dispense of our duty or not, the outcome is not certain. We are not in control of outcomes, we are only in control of process.

For example, if you take Iran's performance this year. I don't think you can really point to any specific thing they did and suggest that this was the cause of their downfall. They conceded just two goals (one flukey one and one ridiculously great shot which was JUST beyond the reach of Alireza). They neutralized some very potent attacks (including containing the best player in the game). They had trouble finishing but were very close on numerous occasions. Ultimately you have to recognize that they dispensed of their duty. They did everything within their capacity, but they didn't get the result. Therefore, it wasn't meant to be.

1 hour ago, shiasoldier786 said:

Iran’s Sardar Azmoun has retired from international football aged 23.

He said his mother has become seriously ill because of insults he has received.

Source: BBC

He'll be back (inshallah)

On 6/28/2018 at 4:37 AM, Sumerian said:

You think Croatia got a chance? They've impressed me the most. 

Yeah but I wouldn't consider them one of the underdogs in the first place.  If you look at their players they should be among the top teams, it's just that they have under achieved with the current generation of players. 

Edited by King

7 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Here's the problem: literally nobody has ever said that winning does not necessitate those things. Literally no one. Neither those Brazilians, nor Nick Foles when he said "Glory to God" as he accepted his super bowl MVP trophy. Nor Khabib when he says alhamdulillah after he wins a fight. If they thought the way you seem to think they think, then they wouldn't have bothered putting in all the work they had to have put in. Feel me?

You are arguing against an argument which literally no one has ever made.

Now, having said that, let me put it this way: if you won the World Cup, would you NOT be thankful to God for it? I don't think there is a single Muslim in the world who would suggest you would not be obliged to be thankful to God for that, or for any other blessing in life. That's more or less the essential core of our worldview: that there is NO existence independent of God. Whether it's our petty little 9-5 job which sustains our life, or an international football tournament, whatever extent we reach is only thanks to God. This is the inescapable truth.

Re: prayers. There are, obviously, prerequisites to certain prayers. If you pray to get a job, you are obviously also obliged to do other tasks which prepare you for getting that job. If you pray to get cured of an ailment, obviously you must pursue any relevant treatment or dietary plans which can help you to better your situation. But this does not make the prayers themselves unnecessary: the prayers are still very much necessary. And regardless of whether we dispense of our duty or not, the outcome is not certain. We are not in control of outcomes, we are only in control of process.

For example, if you take Iran's performance this year. I don't think you can really point to any specific thing they did and suggest that this was the cause of their downfall. They conceded just two goals (one flukey one and one ridiculously great shot which was JUST beyond the reach of Alireza). They neutralized some very potent attacks (including containing the best player in the game). They had trouble finishing but were very close on numerous occasions. Ultimately you have to recognize that they dispensed of their duty. They did everything within their capacity, but they didn't get the result. Therefore, it wasn't meant to be.

I would thank Allah in all facets of live but not publicly.

All I am saying is I don't like when players bring God into their victory speeches whether it is Nick Foles, the Brazilian Soccer team or Pakistani Cricket team.

There is no room for religion nor politics in sports.

Back to WC, my prediction of Germany vs. Belgium didn't work out.

Portugal vs Spain

Edited by ShiaMan14

Salam it was during #WorldCup2018 qualifying match against Korea at #Tasua day 

11 October 2016

On 6/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Azadary in Azadi stadium 

[Mod Note: Videos were removed to shorten this quote. See the videos in the post directly above.]

This is a mockery of azadari and nothing more.

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note in the quote.

51 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Hopefully Argentina can fight back. 4-2 now :(

l was elsewhere after the half and come back and its 4:2. Now 76'

92:05  Argentina SCORES  :yahoo:

Note: post game comment blames Messi "for what he did".  :shock: Must be in the part l missed.

2nd Note: in the comments preceeding Uruguay-Portugal, Messi was "out played and out coached"  he said. Messi was also criticized for taking the lead "alone".

Edited by hasanhh

Sign in to follow this