Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Dealing with Autism

I wanted to write something about the topic of Autism, because when I looked back I have never seen this topic addressed by anyone in our Muslim community. Autism is a growing issue in the world as one in 68 children are diagnosed with this condition. I wanted to address a few issues about dealing with Autism in hopes that it may help someone who is a parent, loved one or a friend of someone with a child who has Autism. I’m not going to go into what Autism is exactly, because that would be a lengthy discussion and there are plenty of websites and books dealing with this topic. I will just say briefly that it is a neurological disorder that affects ones social and communication skills. It is termed as being on the spectrum, because there are so many different variations of Autism that every child is different and they all have different needs according to how many of the indicators the child has.

Nice article - and definitely overdue for discussion in the Muslim community.

My oldest son has an autism diagnosis. He displayed typical autism behaviors as a young child, and didn't speak in a normal way until he was six years old. (He did use echolalia to communicate before then, but only made sense to people who had seen the same movies and books.) He's almost ready to graduate from high school now, and like most kids his age, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. I'd like to see him go into architecture or graphic design, two interests he's held for a long time, but lately he's been talking about wanting to produce movies. Some people who have autism never become able to live like adults, but many others do. 

This is the link of this article

https://mateenjc.com/2016/03/17/dealing-with-autism/

https://mateenjc.com/2014/12/24/life-as-a-shia-muslim-inside-the-u-s-penitentiary/

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
showing the link