Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Dealing with Autism

I wanted to write something about the topic of Autism, because when I looked back I have never seen this topic addressed by anyone in our Muslim community. Autism is a growing issue in the world as one in 68 children are diagnosed with this condition. I wanted to address a few issues about dealing with Autism in hopes that it may help someone who is a parent, loved one or a friend of someone with a child who has Autism. I’m not going to go into what Autism is exactly, because that would be a lengthy discussion and there are plenty of websites and books dealing with this topic. I will just say briefly that it is a neurological disorder that affects ones social and communication skills. It is termed as being on the spectrum, because there are so many different variations of Autism that every child is different and they all have different needs according to how many of the indicators the child has.

• Moderators

Nice article - and definitely overdue for discussion in the Muslim community.

My oldest son has an autism diagnosis. He displayed typical autism behaviors as a young child, and didn't speak in a normal way until he was six years old. (He did use echolalia to communicate before then, but only made sense to people who had seen the same movies and books.) He's almost ready to graduate from high school now, and like most kids his age, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. I'd like to see him go into architecture or graphic design, two interests he's held for a long time, but lately he's been talking about wanting to produce movies. Some people who have autism never become able to live like adults, but many others do. 

This is the link of this article

https://mateenjc.com/2016/03/17/dealing-with-autism/

https://mateenjc.com/2014/12/24/life-as-a-shia-muslim-inside-the-u-s-penitentiary/

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
showing the link
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Northwest said:

Are there studies by Iranian scientists and others on the causes of autism? Do they indicate a link between vaccines and autism?

I don't know about any Iranian research, but the one study which blamed vaccines was fraudulent and has been thoroughly debunked. 

Some correlations might be air pollution, lack of vitamin D in the mother during pregnancy, and difficulty during birth. Genetic predisposition seems probable, but really scientists do not know yet what is causing the increase in prevalence of autism.

• 7 months later...

Hi @Northwest probably there is scientists  in Iran that are working to find the cause of autism but until now there is no evidence  found about any link between vaccine  and autism except some random claims by some people that call themselves a traditionalist  physician  but whole of their claims just based their affection  by anti vaccine  evangelist sites but in credible sites like Iran Autism association  you can't  find such claims.

https://irautism.org/en/

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Northwest said:

Maybe a few people believe that there is a link between vaccination and autism but it isnt scientifically proved. Even if there is any link, vaccination is still necessary. It has saved millions of lives. 

• Veteran Member
On 11/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, notme said:

Nice article - and definitely overdue for discussion in the Muslim community.

My oldest son has an autism diagnosis. He displayed typical autism behaviors as a young child, and didn't speak in a normal way until he was six years old. (He did use echolalia to communicate before then, but only made sense to people who had seen the same movies and books.) He's almost ready to graduate from high school now, and like most kids his age, trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. I'd like to see him go into architecture or graphic design, two interests he's held for a long time, but lately he's been talking about wanting to produce movies. Some people who have autism never become able to live like adults, but many others do. 

What do you think about the statistics? 1 in 68?? Is it really true? Isnt it overestimated?! 

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

What do you think about the statistics? 1 in 68?? Is it really true? Isnt it overestimated?! 

The increased prevalence could be partly because of increased diagnosis, but also probably because whatever causes autism is more common now than it has been in the past. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Maybe a few people believe that there is a link between vaccination and autism but it isnt scientifically proved. Even if there is any link, vaccination is still necessary. It has saved millions of lives. 

The prevalence is over estimated - at least it is in Canada.  I worked at a provincial facility as a developmental psychologist as part of an allied health team where the diagnoses are determined after multiple assessments. Often, children with multiple disabilities had autism added to their list of disabilities because they " meet the criteria” for autism (esp in the social communication domain), but not necessarily because the criteria are due to autism.  

In fact, almost every non verbal child with significant cognitive impairment that I worked with had autism as one of their diagnoses. One extreme case was where a child was blind, non verbal, totally physically dependent and profoundly cognitively disabled and yet had autism as another diagnosis. Also, children with simple social cognitive delay (for a multitude of reasons) are sometimes diagnosed with autism and later, as the child develops, this diagnosis is recognized as a misdiagnosis and the autism team wants to remove it, but the parents balk at reassessment as they will lose their funding and so this child goes through the system as having autism.  I have even seen children with selective mutism diagnosed with autism.

As mentioned, the reason autism was diagnosed as an over reach, was because there is substantial funding and supports available to children with an autism diagnosis that are not available to those with other significant needs that do not have an autism diagnosis.  The DSM 5 has tightened this up quite a bit to delineate between a child with a significant disability whose autistic type symptoms are due to their disability (usually a cognitive disability) from children whose symptoms are actually due to autism.  But the diagnosis is still being done if they can possibly do it with fancy wording, under pressure from the parents usually. 
  • Unregistered
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Maybe a few people believe that there is a link between vaccination and autism but it isnt scientifically proved.

What does scientifically proven mean? With enough money I could scientifically prove that islam causes mental illnesses. Maybe in the near future we will see something a long those lines....

22 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Even if there is any link, vaccination is still necessary. It has saved millions of lives. 

Ye, vacciantion saved millions of lives. So has alcohol, so lets us all drink it. Pig meat has also saved millions of live from hunger, let's all eat it. Strong prescription drugs has also saved millions of lives, let's all take them..........

are there no other options?, like there are options for alcohol, pig, drugs there are also several options for vaccines. Think about it, before blindly accepting everything a man or woman in white coat tells you.

Edited by AkhiraisReal
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

@AkhiraisReal wow, I'm never seen such a bold declaration of utter lack of understanding of how science works! 

Money doesn't change science. People can misinterpret results intentionally, but that's just lying, not science. In order to be valid, results have to be replicable. 

Edited by notme
  • Veteran Member
4 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Do you know what happened to him?

This little guy was a fighter.  He was originally a child with a moderate cognitive delay with no other impairments, but became ill from eating raw or undercooked hamburger and developed a type of meningitis which caused a lot more damage.  He was on a respirator in ICU for a long time and then in an extended care unit. In the hospital, they tried to remove his breathing tube three times but each time failed and they had to reattach.  He was becoming weaker and interventions were becoming more invasive and frequent so the medical team recommended placement in a paediatric palliative care facility so his family could gather in comfort and support as his equipment was removed.

At the palliative care facility, his tube was removed and the anticipation was that he would slowly stop breathing but he kept breathing.  He remained in palliative care for about 3 weeks and his breathing and responses became stronger so he was transferred to a paediatric rehab hospital (which is where I met him).  He was significantly impaired (spastic, visually impaired, totally physically dependent - needed significant support with dressing, feeding, hygiene, mobility, communication).  I worked with him (play based communication assessment and remediation) one on one for about an hour, or so, each day, so he loved me lol.  As soon as I came to the door frame he would appear to look up, somewhat unfocused - did not make eye contact - and start slapping his table in delight. Always made my day!  Not sure how he knew it was me unless he had super hearing, or had more vision than was thought or maybe I had a specific odour… or should I say… fragrance :P  

I supported his communication plan and school staff training, and he eventually went home and was enrolled in his local school.  His vision and physical support needs remained constant and the last I saw him, he was an integrated member of a grade two classroom in a specialized wheel chair with intensive medical support.  He had a lot of damage to his organs so his prognosis is poor and his family understands this but is grateful for whatever time they will have with him.  He appears to be happy and pain free.  He is a joyful little guy to be around.  If you are feeling down, you definitely won’t be after spending 10 minutes with him!  Everyone loves him. His classmates are his biggest champions.

• Moderators

Wow, @Maryaam your work sounds really important! Thank you for helping children and their families! 

Two of my children have autism diagnoses. My youngest is five years old and not yet talking or playing like children his age, and needs help with self-care. Other than that and his lifelong refusal to eat meat, he's very "normal".

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, AkhiraisReal said:

What does scientifically proven mean? With enough money I could scientifically prove that islam causes mental illnesses. Maybe in the near future we will see something a long those lines....

Ye, vacciantion saved millions of lives. So has alcohol, so lets us all drink it. Pig meat has also saved millions of live from hunger, let's all eat it. Strong prescription drugs has also saved millions of lives, let's all take them..........

are there no other options?, like there are options for alcohol, pig, drugs there are also several options for vaccines. Think about it, before blindly accepting everything a man or woman in white coat tells you.

Do you know any good replacement?

We cannot compare vaccination to eating pork or drinking alcohol!! People dont need them for surviving.

Alcohol has saved many lives? Do you mean the one used in medicine? If yes, then i dont understand how it is related to drinking!

I believe that we owe a great deal to the likes of Edward Jenner, Pasteur, ... . We must thank God for their existence!

Edited by Hameedeh
spelling
  • Veteran Member
18 hours ago, notme said:

Wow, @Maryaam your work sounds really important! Thank you for helping children and their families! 

Two of my children have autism diagnoses. My youngest is five years old and not yet talking or playing like children his age, and needs help with self-care. Other than that and his lifelong refusal to eat meat, he's very "normal".

How much does your eldest son talk during the day? Does he help you in doing household chores? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shadow_of_light said:

How much does your eldest son talk during the day? Does he help you in doing household chores? 

He talks a lot and well. His hobbies are unusual but not so niche that he can't find others who share them on the internet. He will do any chores I ask him to do, but doesn't think to do them on his own, except taking out the trash which he does whenever he observes that it needs to be done. Once he matures a bit, he will be fine in "real life". 

• Unregistered
On 8/3/2020 at 6:19 AM, shadow_of_light said:

Do you know any good replacement?

How about starting drinking clean water and eating clean food combined with some exercise. That alone will eradicte most if not all diseases. The rest is up to Allah.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:19 AM, shadow_of_light said:

We cannot compare vaccination to eating pork or drinking alcohol!! People dont need them for surviving.

Who said we need vaccination for survival in this time and age?

Guest Guest
On 8/1/2020 at 11:26 AM, shadow_of_light said:

From another perspective: has it been proven scientifically that vaccination  does not cause autism?

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

From another perspective: has it been proven scientifically that vaccination  does not cause autism?

Pretty much, yes.

But it has not been proven that eating bananas does not cause autism as far as I know, and there's more potential harm from not getting vaccinations than there is from not eating bananas. 

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, notme said:

Pretty much, yes.

But it has not been proven that eating bananas does not cause autism as far as I know, and there's more potential harm from not getting vaccinations than there is from not eating bananas. 

Share with me one study that vaccination doesn't cause autism. tq.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Share with me one study that vaccination doesn't cause autism. tq.

There's this thing called the internet. Try it. 

Show me one study that proves that tying your shoes doesn't cause autism. 

Edited by notme
  • Veteran Member
On 8/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, AkhiraisReal said:

How about starting drinking clean water and eating clean food combined with some exercise. That alone will eradicte most if not all diseases. The rest is up to Allah.

Who said we need vaccination for survival in this time and age?

It is not enough. Some of the diseases are fatal. Some cause disability, blindness, deafness, paralysis...

For example, if an expecting mother suffers from rubella, her baby may be born blind or mentally disabled.

• Unregistered
3 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

It is not enough. Some of the diseases are fatal. Some cause disability, blindness, deafness, paralysis...

For example, if an expecting mother suffers from rubella, her baby may be born blind or mentally disabled.

You are talking about extreme cases.

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

You are talking about extreme cases.

There were a lot more infant disabilities and mortalities before preventative medicine. 

You need to research the prevalence of these diseases and the impact on society before vaccines were available and widely used, before dismissing this.  My grandmother told me that it was not unusual to hear about deaths of school mates from disease or to have children crippled from polio in your neighbourhood when she was young.  Living till the age of five was cause for a celebration - many from those days have siblings they never met or can remember their painful deaths. Also, adult lifespans in were shorter.  It is easy to dismiss the impact of something that you have not experienced nor probably ever will - due to preventative health measures - especially vaccines. 

• Advanced Member
On 8/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, notme said:

Pretty much, yes.

A well-known environmentalist says the opposite of what u r saying. Roughly he’s saying what the science consists of is a handful, a tiny handful of epidemiological studies that were written by industry and by the CDC, which is part of the industry. And he can go through each one of those studies, if someone want to listen.

As for me, I did read a Danish study done in 2002 and also the article refuting it.

So, which one I should believe? No doubt, it’s not an easy job for me, not being scientifically inclined.

Since there’s no compulsion in religion so I believe with regard to vaccination, there shouldn’t be one.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, notme said:

If someone put a gun to my head to investigate whether eating banana will cause autism or not, this is what I will do;

1. set up 2 groups: Say a 100 of vaccinated children and 100 of non-vaccinated children.

2. Both group will be given a daily banana dietary.

3. Tally up the occurrences of ASD in both group, at the end of the study period.

But honestly the analogy is not appropriate even if you have an allergy to banana.

U have a choice with regard to eating banana. Whatever your choice be, you can still go to school.

But if you don’t take up vaccine, you can’t go to school.

• Advanced Member
On 8/4/2020 at 11:24 PM, notme said:

There's this thing called the internet. Try it. 

Show me one study that proves that tying your shoes doesn't cause autism. 

dear sis, frankly i think there's no need for this. let's not mock one another. it's only a matter of different perspectives..

• Moderators
  • Unregistered
11 hours ago, Maryaam said:

There were a lot more infant disabilities and mortalities before preventative medicine. 

You need to research the prevalence of these diseases and the impact on society before vaccines were available and widely used, before dismissing this.  My grandmother told me that it was not unusual to hear about deaths of school mates from disease or to have children crippled from polio in your neighbourhood when she was young.  Living till the age of five was cause for a celebration - many from those days have siblings they never met or can remember their painful deaths. Also, adult lifespans in were shorter.  It is easy to dismiss the impact of something that you have not experienced nor probably ever will - due to preventative health measures - especially vaccines. 

I am talking about today, is't still necessary? Will people die/get crippled if they are not vaccinated?