Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
notme

Toddler nutrition

:salam:

My fourth child is my first picky eater, alhamdulilla, and even he isn't all that picky. He refuses to eat any meat at all, no beef, no lamb, no goat, no chicken, no turkey. Occasionally he will eat a few fish sticks, but it's not his favorite. He also doesn't eat eggs, beans, or nuts. 

He does eat almost any vegetable, fruit, rice, pasta, or bread, and he likes peanut butter and yogurt and cheese. 

But you know mothers - I'm concerned about his nutrition, especially since he's only in the tenth percentile for height. He's not overweight or underweight. 

So first, does anyone have suggestions for how to get iron and protein into this child? 

Second, I've given him children's nutritional shakes, but most of these seem to be targeted more toward weight gain than nutrition, and they're all really expensive. Would it be safe to give him smaller amounts of adult vitamin beverages? The adult versions seem to target nutrition, not calories. He won't take chewable children's multivitamins. He doesn't like the taste. 

Finally, any other suggestions? 

Thanks.

Walaykum Salam,

Picky eating is completely normal in toddlers and shouldn't be a concern. Try to minimize distractions and set regular meal time patterns. Toddlers often imitate older siblings. Remember appetite generally goes down at around 12 months. Allow their independence and curiosity. 

Aversion to meat in toddlers is very common behavioural concern for parents. Don't force your child to eat meat if he/she doesn't want it. There shouldn't be a power struggle when it comes to eating. Use alternative vegetarian or vegan options. Food complementation is also a great way to get complete proteins. 

No don't give a toddler smaller amounts of vitamin beverage. Iron anemia is the most common deficiency in North American toddlers but iron toxicity is also the most common toxicity in toddlers. He won't take the chewable gummies either?

Since he doesn't eat bean and meat good sources of iron rich foods for toddlers are fortified cereals (often very high in iron), raisins, green peas and dried apricots. 

Fibre, iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin D and fluid are important for toddlers. 

Edited by Inner Peace

3 hours ago, notme said:

You wanna go my grandmothers way... She used to tell me what is on the table you have to eat it. if you don't want to eat this food go to bed. You won't get anything to eat... It happened like couple times and I was starving to i had no choice. And after that i started eating everything. And I never say No to any food as long as it i halal. Eat your food and say thank to Allah for his blessings. 

So its my way or highway. 

I don't ever force anyone to eat anything! That's how people get eating disorders. I only offer what we are eating, and I try to make sure each meal includes things each family member likes, for example one of my sons doesn't like salmon, but loves broccoli, so I often serve those two together. If anyone doesn't feel like eating any of what we are having, they can go without but I'm not making special individual meals. I don't mind, for example, setting aside some pasta without sauce, but no extra cooking or prep. 

@Inner Peace and @monad thanks. :)

Is caring for 4 children difficult? You once said that you have a disabled child, too. You must be a strong devoted mother!

There is an iron supplement called Sideral. You can add it to your child's food. It is tastless. He even can take it with yogurt because calcium doesnt inhibit the absorption of this particular supplement.

Monad also offered a good solution. Show him a doll and say "it is going to eat your food" and then pretend that it is eating....or ask him to compete other family members.

Just now, Afsaneh14 said:

What the hell kinda kid likes broccolli????????????????:blush:

Yeah he's unusual in that respect. He actually went through a vegetarian phase too, but he was older and could talk about it so I worried less. 

Broccoli can be steamed or roasted and add a flavoring like soy sauce or cheese to make it more tasty. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

It is very good for health but I dont like its taste, too!

But how do you even eat it yuck. Most kids i know HATE brocolli. Like the hospital i work in we threw away like a bijillion kgs of brocolli because none of the kids ate it.

But maybe i am just a stubborn Kid too XD

Edited by Afsaneh14
spelling

1 minute ago, Hameedeh said:

Broccoli can be steamed or roasted and add a flavoring like soy sauce or cheese to make it more tasty. 

It is still yuck :hahaha: why does all the healthy stuff have to be nasty man. Why can't chocolate be healthy :((((

If your son likes vegetables (even broccoli) he can dip it in hummus or yogurt. I never thought about spreading peanut butter on broccoli. Will have to try that. lol

13 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

If your son likes vegetables (even broccoli) he can dip it in hummus or yogurt. I never thought about spreading peanut butter on broccoli. Will have to try that. lol

He likes most veggies, just not spinach, lettuce, cabbage, or other leaves. He used to eat hummus, but won't anymore. He does like yogurt.

Peanut butter on broccoli? None for me, thanks! 

29 minutes ago, Afsaneh14 said:

It is still yuck :hahaha: why does all the healthy stuff have to be nasty man. Why can't chocolate be healthy :((((

Chocolate itself is healthy. Only all the fat and sugar they add to make it delicious are unhealthy if you eat too much. 

44 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

Is caring for 4 children difficult? You once said that you have a disabled child, too. You must be a strong devoted mother!

Sometimes, but not really. 

Four children are not four times the work of one child. My oldest son has autism, and when he was little I didn't get much sleep due to his tendency to take walks outside at night, but he's pretty much like any other teenager now. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

:salam:

My fourth child is my first picky eater, alhamdulilla, and even he isn't all that picky. He refuses to eat any meat at all, ...

So first, does anyone have suggestions for how to get iron and protein into this child? 

Thanks.

No lron for children -or men for that matter. This is a teenage girl and women's supplement.

Now protein. Take whichever meat you are serving, cook and shred it -blender?- and mix it into a pasta, lazanya, pie, whatever.

2 hours ago, Afsaneh14 said:

What the hell kinda kid likes broccolli????????????????:blush:

You are thinking of brussel sprouts. l never like Belgium for this reason.

l liked broccoli.

But who or why anyone in their right mind will put peanut butter on broccoli is far beyond me.   :grin:

26 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Take whichever meat you are serving, cook and shred it -blender?- and mix it into a pasta, lazanya, pie, whatever.

We have gotten him to eat chicken and rice and tuna and rice, as long as the chicken or tuna is well shredded and not noticeable chunks. I haven't figured out a way that he will eat other meats. 

The same strategy doesn't work with shredded or ground beef, and I haven't tried it with other meats. 

5 minutes ago, notme said:

We have gotten him to eat chicken and rice and tuna and rice, as long as the chicken or tuna is well shredded and not noticeable chunks. I haven't figured out a way that he will eat other meats. 

The same strategy doesn't work with shredded or ground beef, and I haven't tried it with other meats. 

Have you tried making a sauce?  Or an over-the-counter cocktail sauce which is spicier than ketchup? Or a specialty mustard?

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

Have you tried making a sauce?  Or an over-the-counter cocktail sauce which is spicier than ketchup? Or a specialty mustard?

Nah, man, he's two - he doesn't like spicy foods. I haven't really experimented with sauces. He does like ketchup and spaghetti sauce (But not spaghetti sauce with meat).

13 minutes ago, notme said:

Nah, man, he's two - he doesn't like spicy foods. I haven't really experimented with sauces. He does like ketchup and spaghetti sauce (But not spaghetti sauce with meat).

l was sitting here thinking about suggestions. My two-year-old nephew is, as his mother says- an "eating machine". Ever since he started solid foods. People think he is four because so tall. the doctor yesterday said his point score was 80 (Out of every 80 children in height he'd be the 80 -the tallest.)  His mother only told me this week he is now "refusing" some things. Eggs is one of them. But he grabs the peanut butter and uses his finger to eat it straight out of the jar.

You know animal protein is more dietary complete than vegetable protein. People ain't cows.

l'II try a search. ADDED: This is what l found in addition to the above: if the meat is chewy --and it is 'worse' for toddlers if it is tough-- or dry soften it in some way. l thought of this from the quick reads: try grinding it. Like a hamburger and have it in a moist carrier like pasta (excluding the dried/fried parts).

Edited by hasanhh
Chewy-Tough