Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Intentional qibla deviation

Rate this topic

Guest alfarisi

:salam:

Is it permissible to intentionally deviate from the real direction of qibla (under 45 deg) if we have known that? The mosque I usually take a prayer in has a direction marks towards qibla and everyone does take a prayer based on that mark, but it i have discovered with a compass that the actual qibla is actually slightly deviated from the mark. Since I know that fact, is it obligatory for me to take a qibla with the direction of the compass or may I still utilize that mark and do a namaz with slight deviation?

Shukran

• Forum Administrators

Salam. If other people are praying toward the Qibla in the mosque, maybe you should pray in the same direction. I say this because I have a compass that is defective, and the needle points south instead of north, so be sure your compass is good. If you do use your compass to deviate from their qibla, please stay on the back row. Less people might notice you. I hope they don't start to talk bad about you. 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Guest alfarisi said:

Is it permissible to intentionally deviate from the real direction of qibla (under 45 deg) if we have known that?

45 degrees is a huge deviation. How many degrees do you actually mean to deviate? Would it be noticeable to others that you were deviating the qibla that their mosque founder had established?

59f3ee88377d6_45degrees.jpg.071d9762214f6fed2e26f08d165f491e.jpg

• Advanced Member

hi when you praying with others in mosque we must follow the Imam not more not less but if you want to use the compass for true direction its better that you pray by yourself because we must keep unity in Mosques & not be more pious than pope.

Guest alfarisi
20 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

45 degrees is a huge deviation. How many degrees do you actually mean to deviate? Would it be noticeable to others that you were deviating the qibla that their mosque founder had established?

59f3ee88377d6_45degrees.jpg.071d9762214f6fed2e26f08d165f491e.jpg

It is under 45 deg, maybe 10 deg if not more or less, but my marja' rules is that I should not deviate from the real direction of the qibla even if it is under 45 deg.

21 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam. If other people are praying toward the Qibla in the mosque, maybe you should pray in the same direction. I say this because I have a compass that is defective, and the needle points south instead of north, so be sure your compass is good. If you do use your compass to deviate from their qibla, please stay on the back row. Less people might notice you. I hope they don't start to talk bad about you. 

Actually it's not a real needle compass, it is a phone app, but i have an itminan that my compass chip in my phone works well, so i fear that i will have left my obligation if i abandon it.

• Forum Administrators
28 minutes ago, Guest alfarisi said:

It is under 45 deg, maybe 10 deg if not more or less, but my marja' rules is that I should not deviate from the real direction of the qibla even if it is under 45 deg.

By all means, follow what your marja told you.

28 minutes ago, Guest alfarisi said:

Actually it's not a real needle compass, it is a phone app, but i have an itminan that my compass chip in my phone works well, so i fear that i will have left my obligation if i abandon it.

Is itminan the same thing as yaqeen? If it is, then it's okay.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Guest alfarisi said:

If your marja has that ruling, it is probably if you are praying at home by yourself or with your family. If you are praying in the mosque while following the imam of the masjid, the reply above by @Ashvazdanghe seems appropriate. Pray with others following the same qibla or pray at home by yourself.