Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
.InshAllah.

Women are superior to men- Sayyed Kamal AlHaidery

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

One thing to note about any Bahth Kharij is that you cannot come to a conclusions regarding a scholar's opinions until a certain topic is actually complete (and definitely not by looking or reading any one lesson from a middle of a series). The natural course of a Bahth Kharij is to open all plausible interpretations, present those arguments, and critique them where possible

I don't doubt that he will qualify it with conditions, expand upon, try and reconcile other texts with it, etc, so I am not saying that it is his final word.  But if he were later to say that women aren't superior to men, then he would be contradicting himself.  Maybe this isnt his final opinion, and maybe he will change his mind, but based on what he has said he believes that the Quran teaches that women are superior.  I just cant see him saying 'actually the Quran doesnt say that women are better than men', after explicitly saying that it does.  He may present a more naunced opinion, but cant deny the basic claim without contradiction.

You are following his lectures more closely than I am, so please post anything that says otherwise.

6 minutes ago, .InshAllah. said:

I believe you are referring to this bit:

The issue here is that he isn't discussing the specifics of this superiority. Superiority in what, from what perspective? He does mention an alibi from narrations that say a daughter brings more blessings when she is born - and perhaps from that perspective she is superior to a male - but in his talk he also throws in the phrase ولكن بشرطها وشروطها (with its appropriate conditions), which essentially keeps him free from the attribution of having claimed absolute superiority of women over men (in all and every aspect). So even if he were to qualify this same position with conditions, he can justify himself by saying this was clear and obvious or that I hadn't claimed absolute superiority to begin with.

If you look at the first two or so lectures you will see how he actually begins his talk building an argument for men being superior to women through the Qur'an, but he leaves it at that. This is because he is in a stage of his discussion where he is throwing out a lot of different plausible interpretations, but he himself has said he will dwell into them in more depth over the course of these lessons.

Wasalam

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:56 AM, shadow_of_light said:

Such narrations are mostly unauthentic. If women were deficient in intellect, then men and women would not be equally punished for their sins.

l don't know about the "intellect" part, but there is a sahih hadith that says most people in Jehenna are women.

Just reciting.

:rolleyes:

^Interestingly we also have ahadith saying the opposite, although I don't know about their chains.  For example,

4628 - وروى عمار الساباطي عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: " أكثر أهل الجنة من المستضعفين النساء، علم الله عز وجل ضعفهن فرحمهن ".
From Abi Abdillah [as] : Most of the people of Jannah are the vulnerable/oppressed [mustath'afeen] women.  Allah knew their weakness, so He showed them mercy

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/1151_من-لا-يحضره-الفقيه-الشيخ-الصدوق-ج-٣/الصفحة_468

Salam alaikum

all due to respect to the sayyed, but much of his buhuth is sensationalism. he just wants to rock the boat for the sake of rocking the boat. i find nothing new, except pandering. sometimes we find that after making sweeping unequivocal novel statements, he winds down and qualifies those statements in a way that takes him back to square one.

is this even a religious topic: who is better men or women?

is this a topic that scholars of religion get into? because the scholars say that according to the quran the greatest in the eyes of God is the most pious, man or woman.

why is he taking cultural misconceptions as a basis of any intellectual discussion? why is he using khitabiyyat as a basis of his argumentations?

He argues that 'the male is not like the female' shows that women are superior (as long as they meet the conditions of piety etc). 

then the establishment of superiority is not based on that verse at all, its based on the other verse (49:13)

'the male is not like the female' is a mujmal or mubham statement: what is the point of similarity and distinction (وجه التشبيه أو عدم التشبيه)? its unclear

if we go to a hadeeth that directly deals with this verse, we find a reliable tradition in al-Kafi (v.1, p.353) in which the Imam says, commenting on this part of the mentioned verse: "أي لا يكون البنت رسولا" (the girl doesn't become a prophet)

in another hadith, the context of the whole verse is taken into consideration: the mother of maryam made a vow to give the new born as a vowed endowment to God, to serve in the masjid. but then a girl was born, and the imam expounds the mother's concerns saying: "إن الأنثى تحيض فتخرج من المسجد والمحرر لا يحرج من المسجد" (the female undergoes menstruation and leaves the masjid, and the consecrated offering (which the newborn was to be) does not leave the masjid.)

so, really, where is the sayyed going with this verse?

i havent listened to the sayyid on this series, but i am going by what others have mentioned about it in this thread, and by what i have heard in his other discussion.

sometimes we need to step back and ask the question: is there a reason why other scholars have not mentioned this verse to prove this?

On 10/27/2017 at 9:06 PM, hasanhh said:

Everybody have their popcorn and pizza?

OK, l'II start.  :D

Women are "superior to men" in:

Spending Money

Complaining

Turning the Furnace-Up (to a higher temperature)

Faster in getting angry at children.

Better at knowing what is on-sale.

Cooking -usually

Washing dishes -usually

Floor scrubbing.

Seeing a spec-of-dirt at 30 paces

Grade Skool

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

How about parallel parking?:confused:

On 10/28/2017 at 1:30 AM, .InshAllah. said:

He argues that according to the Quran, women are superior to men.

I see equality not superiority of any sort. And I can use following verses to build a strong argument for that:

وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ أَنْ خَلَقَ لَكُمْ مِنْ أَنْفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا لِتَسْكُنُوا إِلَيْهَا وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَكُمْ مَوَدَّةً وَرَحْمَةً ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِقَوْمٍ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ
30:21

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا ۚ إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ 
49:13

In reality there is no general principles of superiority of one vs other 

Some women are super strong 

Some men are super dumb 

But generally Islam is patriarchal religion and we esp men should not change that so let's discourage any notion of "equality" as it goes against our interests