In the Name of God بسم الله

Azadari

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Yes, Prophet Jacob A.S. mourned so much for Prophet Yusuf A.S. and his sons, that he even got to the stage of being blind.

[Jacob] said, "Rather, your souls have enticed you to something, so patience is most fitting. Perhaps Allah will bring them to me all together. Indeed it is He who is the Knowing, the Wise."

And he turned away from them and said, "Oh, my sorrow over Joseph," and his eyes became white from grief, for he was [of that] a suppressor.

Surah Yusuf/12 verse 83-84

• Forum Administrators
21 hours ago, Mushahid Raz said:

Is Mourning proved from Hadith and quran?

See the book called Forty Hadith on Azadari.

https://www.al-islam.org/forty-hadith-on-azadari

• Forum Administrators
14 hours ago, Mushahid Raz said:

can you provide such Hadiths from sunni books?

Sunnis also believe that Prophet Muhammad SA wept for Imam Hussein AS before he was martyred.

A Brief Description of Azadari of Husayn (a.s)

(A) The Prophetic Sunnah is practical

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal has mentioned a detailed narration in his Musnad. It is quoted from Amir al-Mu’minin ‘Ali bin Abi Talib (a.s) as follows:

(Sunni Tradition): His Eminence, ‘Ali (a.s) said: One day I came to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w) and saw tears in his eyes. I asked, “Has someone angered you?” Why are there tears in your eyes?” The Holy Prophet (s.a.w) said, “A little while ago Jibraeel told me that Husayn shall be slain at the banks of Euphrates. Jibraeel asked me if I would like to get the soil of that place so that I can smell it. I said, ‘Yes.’ Thus Jibraeel extended his hands and then gave me a handful of soil, due to which tears flow from my eyes.”

The Ahl al-Sunnah Imam, Shafei has also mentioned this narration. Two points are noteworthy in this tradition:

Firstly: The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) wept on the incident of martyrdom even before its actual occurrence and he often used to weep upon it as seen in many traditions recorded in the Shia and Sunni sources. This shows that if the Holy Prophet (s.a.w) had been alive after the martyrdom how much more he would have been aggrieved? And from this you can understand the rewardibility of mourning for Husayn (a.s).

Secondly: The love and affection the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) had for Imam Husayn (a.s) is known to all clearly. And Husayn (a.s) was present before the Holy Prophet (s.a.w) at that time. Inspite of this, he did not weep merely upon hearing the news of martyrdom. Rather, Jibraeel gave him the soil of Karbala’. At that time his condition became such that “tears flow from my eyes…” Thus when a sign was needed for the Holy Prophet (s.a.w) to take him to the point of weeping, it is all the more needed for us to have such signs before us because indeed we are not having the same affection for Imam Husayn (a.s) as the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) had and we are also removed much further away in time.

Before the martyrdom there were only two things that could lead to create the imagination of martyrdom. The personality of Husayn (a.s) himself and the land of Karbala’ and the Holy Prophet (s.a.w) gathered them at one place and allowing his imagination a free rein, he wept upon it. Therefore we also follow the verse:

…in the Messenger of Allah is an excellent exemplar… [Holy Qur'an 33:21]

See the section called "A Brief Description of Azadari of Husayn (a.s)" in the book Understanding Karbala here:

https://www.al-islam.org/understanding-karbala-allamah-sayyid-saeed-akhtar-rizvi/azadari-husayn-islamic-point-view#brief-description-azadari-husayn