Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Hameedeh

Problems that reverts have

Recommended Posts

Probably the first problem is that your family thinks you are crazy.

Then your friends stop calling you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 1. Judgment from friends and family for converting.

2. Never quite fitting in a Muslim community.

3. Language and culture barriers.

4. Being assumed that I don't take my faith seriously, I was told on here that "One day, I will follow Islam, the next day I will follow Buddha." 

5. Dealing with pork and alcohol at the dinner table. (Especially since I can't move away from it)

6. Missing salat.

7. Marriage, I haven't found the right one yet but you will be surprised at how some born Muslimas/Muslims love to waste your time.

8. Being misunderstood/judged/taken for granted. 

9. I am nervous about going through number 8 because of my disability.

@Hameedeh Did I miss anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holidays! 

The family ones aren't right for my religion and the religious ones are rather more solitary than for those people who have Muslim relatives. Islam isn't meant to be a solitary religion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being considered spies, assumed that you are/were more promiscuous, being treated like a mascot, being recommended to people for marriage that the community does not want, being considered less knowledgeable than the average person in the community, racism...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Qa'im said:

assumed that you are/were more promiscuous

Oh my goodness yes! "Sorry to disappoint, but I really don't have any wild past!" 

For women there is also the persistent assumption that she must have converted for a man. Why is it so difficult to believe that Islam is much bigger than any person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The personal things I came across were:

1) Family thinking I will be radicalised. I don't blame them for this tbh because this is the narrative fed by the media. Alhamdullilah, they came round and realised that this is not the case, as more time passed and they saw my behaviour remained normal.

2) A slightly light hearted one...making a mess in the sink when learning wudu lol

3) Dealing with alcohol on table, alhamdullilah over time, I have managed to establish boundaries and there is mutual respect

4) If you are a convert from hinduism, its the food issue. Fortunately, the opinion that food prepared by polytheist being physically najis is not as widespread as before I think.

5) Waking up for fajr alone !

6) Not celebrating eid cos you're the only muslim

7) If you are a shia, its trying to keep into a sombre mood during Muharram, especially first 10 days.

8) Social hijab - trying to explain to female family members such as cousins that you can't hug them as you previously did, this is something I still have not addressed

just what i can think off on top of my head.

Just remember that although there are challenges alhamdullilah always be grateful that Allah swt saw you as someone worthy of this blessed guidance and put you on this blessed path and that He will always find you a way out of whatever revert problem you are facing. If we are thankful Allah swt will give us more and open new doors for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can add to the big list above mention one more.

- Being tag and/or accused as a highly potential apostate. (basically for ask logic questions but considered tabu).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ArifHussainRajabali said:

Just remember that although there are challenges alhamdullilah always be grateful that Allah swt saw you as someone worthy of this blessed guidance and put you on this blessed path and that He will always find you a way out of whatever revert problem you are facing. If we are thankful Allah swt will give us more and open new doors for us. 

Thank you so much! I need to read this more often.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

Has anyone had problems of having to decrease friends? Like after becoming Shi'a because the Sunnis that know you - its just not so good anymore?

That's pretty much universal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salām ‘Alaykum,

We have started a group on Telegram to discuss the problems and issues facing Muslims. 
If you're a convert to Islam, please join our group: https://t.me/joinchat/AUnBFz_f9b_tw19FwRdfiA

You can download Telegram from: http://telegram.me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 6:34 AM, Ali Mahdi said:

Salām ‘Alaykum,

We have started a group on Telegram to discuss the problems and issues facing Muslims. 
If you're a convert to Islam, please join our group: https://t.me/joinchat/AUnBFz_f9b_tw19FwRdfiA

You can download Telegram from: http://telegram.me

Telegram is a scam, it always tries to use data secretly. Whatsapp is much better for that purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

 1. Judgment from friends and family for converting.

2. Never quite fitting in a Muslim community.

3. Language and culture barriers.

4. Being assumed that I don't take my faith seriously, I was told on here that "One day, I will follow Islam, the next day I will follow Buddha." 

5. Dealing with pork and alcohol at the dinner table. (Especially since I can't move away from it)

6. Missing salat.

7. Marriage, I haven't found the right one yet but you will be surprised at how some born Muslimas/Muslims love to waste your time.

8. Being misunderstood/judged/taken for granted. 

9. I am nervous about going through number 8 because of my disability.

@Hameedeh Did I miss anything else?

Why the number 2?Aren't Muslims supposed to treat converts as any other Muslim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...