Jump to content
  • 0
Guest Hamzah

Starting a Non-Profit in America

Rate this question

Question

Guest Hamzah

Salam Brothers & Sisters, I plan on starting a Non-Profit here in Michigan. For those who live in America, what do you feel is needed in general? At first I really wanted it to be centered around orphaned & Single Parents, but there really isn't that many around here. Any ideas? I realize this is very basic but I'd like to see what ideas you lovely people have, Inshallah we will be able to see it happen & know this Forum had a lot to do with it. ‏جزاك الله خير

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

How is it possible that there aren't many orphans, abandoned children, and single parent families where you live! 

What is your motivation for starting a non-profit organization? Shouldn't you do the work that you feel a special inclination toward? What do you want to do? What do you already know how to do? What do you want to learn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, notme said:

How is it possible that there aren't many orphans, abandoned children, and single parent families where you live! 

What is your motivation for starting a non-profit organization? Shouldn't you do the work that you feel a special inclination toward? What do you want to do? What do you already know how to do? What do you want to learn?

Hey Notme, thank you for the questions. I went to the city & asked there's not much options or grants to help orphans because honestly there's isn't much. My motivation is that I came from nothing, & worked my way up. I understand the struggle that these people go through including homeless people. I truly feel a special inclination to give back to these people, homeless & orphans. I spend a lot feeding them already so why not make it official. Nothing in my life seems right expect when I give back and put a smile on people's faces. I want to empower these people. Not only feed and shelter but give them information, help them get jobs. I do a lot, I'm sorry I can't give out so much information it's hard to type from a phone on these forums, so probably a lot of misspellings. Thanks for asking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Hamzahh313 said:

Hey Notme, thank you for the questions. I went to the city & asked there's not much options or grants to help orphans because honestly there's isn't much. My motivation is that I came from nothing, & worked my way up. I understand the struggle that these people go through including homeless people. I truly feel a special inclination to give back to these people, homeless & orphans. I spend a lot feeding them already so why not make it official. Nothing in my life seems right expect when I give back and put a smile on people's faces. I want to empower these people. Not only feed and shelter but give them information, help them get jobs. I do a lot, I'm sorry I can't give out so much information it's hard to type from a phone on these forums, so probably a lot of misspellings. Thanks for asking. 

You can actually take up a task to build the education of poor families stronger.

Must have a look - Teachforindia.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
43 minutes ago, Hamzahh313 said:

 Very interesting, Thank you! We have something similar to that where I live. 

Let me share with you my own experience. Something that I think is more important.

I see around myself that there are a lot of Muslims that shake hand with non-mahram people, sit behind table that there is wine on it, people who Americans and non-muslims take their rights and they cannot do anything because of money or time. Why not starting an Islamic company that Hijabi women can work easily in that? Why not starting a company that Niqabi women are more comfortable in that and no non-muslim dares to look at her strangely? Why our men should work under the rules of non-muslims in US? These are very furious to me. I asked a woman do you shake hand with non-mahram? She said I don't unless I feel I have to. These prejudiced media created this situation for our Muslims (Sunni or Shia).

What I think is that we Muslims need to be more active in industry and business. Money for our organizations brings power. We need it so badly. Starting companies based on Islamic values are first steps toward this goal. For example I know programming and mechanics. I can start a company in this field and invite Muslims to work there. Whatever you do make environment easier for Muslims especially Hijabis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Let me share with you my own experience. Something that I think is more important.

I see around myself that there are a lot of Muslims that shake hand with non-mahram people, sit behind table that there is wine on it, people who Americans and non-muslims take their rights and they cannot do anything because of money or time. Why not starting an Islamic company that Hijabi women can work easily in that? Why not starting a company that Niqabi women are more comfortable in that and no non-muslim dares to look at her strangely? Why our men should work under the rules of non-muslims in US? These are very furious to me. I asked a woman do you shake hand with non-mahram? She said I don't unless I feel I have to. These prejudiced media created this situation for our Muslims (Sunni or Shia).

What I think is that we Muslims need to be more active in industry and business. Money for our organizations brings power. We need it so badly. Starting companies based on Islamic values are first steps toward this goal. For example I know programming and mechanics. I can start a company in this field and invite Muslims to work there. Whatever you do make environment easier for Muslims especially Hijabis.

My sisters work for large companies & never had a problem saying no to hand shakes from the CEO to the Janitor, they pray at work, fast, Work laws are very good in America; they are not discriminatory in any shape or fashion in my experience. But If that's your goal in life, inshallah you succeed. But unfortunately it's not mine, I'm sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I think we really need a women shelter for shia women in US. I don't think there's any shelter. Many women can earn money but they still face the safety issue when they live alone.  There are also many domestic violence victims. If you can build a shelter, and hire some security guards for the domestic violence victims, it will be a great help. I am sure there are at least 4 or 5 women in many states and you can easily find 50-60 women for the shelter. There are sunni shelters for women but what if they refuse to give shelter to a shia woman or what if they expect her to convert after they give help? I have also heard horror stories about non-muslim shelters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:28 AM, Hamzahh313 said:

 Very interesting, Thank you! We have something similar to that where I live. 

Salam brother Hamzahh313,

What do you think of helping reverts to learn more about Ahlulbayt(as)? There are a lot of reverts around the US, including Michigan where you live, most of them are sunnis, salafis and others on the way, as the Salafis more active in Dawa than Shia.  There are a lot of reverts join Isis these days, because they lack the support from Shia or at least moderate muslims around them.  There are single reverts women with kids, those women struggle to meet their needs, let alone buying books or pay for online classes to learn about Islam and there are no mosques/islamic centers in their areas.  Well, some reverts chose to left Islam as they didn't get any support from the muslim community around them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×