Jump to content
Waseem162

What is your Academic Stance?

Recommended Posts

Salamun Alykum members of the group! To get better out of this club, In my opinion it is very necessary to have a discussion on what Academic level our members are now.

What are their plans and why? In this age of loaded information and knowledge one must not leave a spot where he thinks he can attain some points!

Today learning has gone to the next level where people are doing MOOCS (Massive Open Online Courses) rather classroom courses for plenthora of reasons.

People having same discipline can do those Moocs together. That'll be fun.

Secondly knowing about each others academia will also help us to network better! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Waseem162 said:

Expand upon your road to becoming a Polymath.

I have been reading books since I was a small child, anything I could get my hands on. More recently I have added MOOCs to my educational program. Most of my self study lately has been related to geology and astronomy, with a bit of history, political theory, and economics for variety. I'm planning to shift back toward environmental science and land development gradually over the next few years so hopefully I can get a job once my children are all in school. I'm also interested in several languages, and in 3d animation, but there are only so many hours in a day.

Mind you I'm a polymath, but not a genius polymath like Elon Musk, just a non-specialist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I'm currently completing masters in Civil Engineering.

Hopefully I'll secure an internship soon.

What area of civil engineering? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, notme said:

What area of civil engineering? 

At my University, you don't really have to specialize in a particular area. I mean, it's just 'Masters of Civil Engineering'.

But in addition to the core units(which everyone has to do) they also allow you to select a certain number of electives from a list.

So far I have done an elective on transport engineering, but it bored me to hell. I feel I am more inclined towards geotechnical or structural engineering.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

So far I have done an elective on transport engineering, but it bored me to hell. I feel I am more inclined towards geotechnical or structural engineering.

Geotechnical and structural are good fields to get into, but higher risk than some others. (And higher pay, to compensate for the risk.) I seriously considered a geotechnical specialty, but when dams fail, people die. I didn't specialize - it wasn't required at that time - but I took mostly electives in hydrology and hydraulics, and a few environmental and geotechnical, then I worked in land development (which draws from several fields) and enjoyed it very much. 

Edited by notme
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asalaam Alaykum,

I am a college student, currently studying for secretary profession. My plans are to continue studying to get into university Inshallah. I have studied a variety of subjects; welfare assistant, maths & English, a pre university course to get access into university and a few more....

I have a broad interest which makes it a bit hard for me to make my final choice. I am a bit jack of all trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assalamu alaykum,

I am pursuing a BA in history.....this is my final year. After that I plan to continue with my Masters degree and after its completion, get a fellowship if I can. I want to research on religious sociology in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2018 at 9:21 AM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Assalamu alaykum,

I am pursuing a BA in history.....this is my final year. After that I plan to continue with my Masters degree and after its completion, get a fellowship if I can. I want to research on religious sociology in the future.

Assalamu alaykum,

I'm doing Ancient History myself, also in my final year. Nice to find a Shi'a History undergraduate; not many of us enter these areas I think, especially the Classics, which some of my Shi'a friends haven't even heard of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 5:49 AM, von Lohengramm said:

Assalamu alaykum,

I'm doing Ancient History myself, also in my final year. Nice to find a Shi'a History undergraduate; not many of us enter these areas I think, especially the Classics, which some of my Shi'a friends haven't even heard of. 

Wa alyakum assalam dear brother,

Actually, I am not doing Shia history specifically. The undergraduate course at my university is a medley of different histories from all over the world (South Asia, Europe, Africa and the New World included), and we don't get to choose a specific course at the undergraduate level, to get a holistic view of the world's history, I think. That option is available for us only at the masters level. But I do intend to do research on Shia history further up the ladder.

And it was great meeting a fellow-history student!! Studying history such an amazing experience!!

Best wishes for your success !!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2018 at 4:07 AM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Wa alyakum assalam dear brother,

Actually, I am not doing Shia history specifically. The undergraduate course at my university is a medley of different histories from all over the world (South Asia, Europe, Africa and the New World included), and we don't get to choose a specific course at the undergraduate level, to get a holistic view of the world's history, I think. That option is available for us only at the masters level. But I do intend to do research on Shia history further up the ladder.

And it was great meeting a fellow-history student!! Studying history such an amazing experience!!

Best wishes for your success !!
 

Bro I think you misunderstood. I meant a person that is a Shi'a Muslim who is studying History as their degree, the point being that, from my experience anyway, not many Muslims (let alone Shias) go into these areas :) 

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى grant us all success.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, von Lohengramm said:

Bro I think you misunderstood. I meant a person that is a Shi'a Muslim who is studying History as their degree, the point being that, from my experience anyway, not many Muslims (let alone Shias) go into these areas :) 

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى grant us all success.

 

Oh, sorry, my bad ! :p

Needless to say, I agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam brother and sister 

I’m currently taking Bachelor of Biotechnology , hoping to become evolutionary biologist someday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×