Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
David66

Be Prepared

Rate this topic

Very good and helpful post. Thank you. 

But I didn't say or imply "most people". Certainly some people. Not everyone can afford a cable bill. 

I have a Mormon friend who told me it's part of their religion to be prepared for disasters. On her advice, I had started stockpiling canned foods. When I was laid off from my job, this supply of beans and tomato soup was most of what my family ate until I managed to work out an arrangement with the mortgage company to accept a lower payment until I found employment. Keeping extras of non-perishable essential items is helpful in man-made crisis situations too. 

It's good advice to prepare. But we also need to help those in need, whether by their fault or their misfortune.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:58 PM, David66 said:

A member of Shia Chat recently insinuated it was too costly for most people to maintain survival supplies.  I think this is a dangerous opinion.  So, I wanted to provide some information on the subject and start a discussion. 

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1390846764394-dc08e309debe561d866b05ac84daf1ee/checklist_2014.pdf

You can put kits together for less than one month's cable bill.  And, most of the items have a long shelf life.  Of course this does not guarantee you our your families survival but it give you a fighting chance.

Be prepared.  Don't expect help from your neighbors, the government, or other relief agencies.  In major catastrophes, they are overwhelmed.  But, if you can provide for yourself and family for a minimum of three days, I prefer a two week minimum, you have increased your survival rate exponentially. 

It's always good to be prepared, however, I live in a Hurricane Zone. If I have to evacuate, walking on foot, I won't be able to carry all that stuff in the kit. I need to only carry what I absolutely need to survive. After thinking about the basics (purse, wallet, medication, passport) I get stuck and don't want to think about it.