Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shaytan the first person to give Abu Bakr bayyah?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I was reading an article on al-islam.org, and I came across the following narration which says the first person to give their pledge of allegiance to Abu Bakr was the Shaytan who took the form of an old man:

It is narrated from Salman al-Farisi concerning the incident of Saqifah: Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib asked, “Do you know the man who ascended the pulpit and preceded everyone else in pledging his allegiance to Abu Bakr?” I said, “No. But I saw that he was an old man who leaned heavily on his cane, and I saw that on his forehead was a large callous that was the result of lengthy prostrations. He was the first to ascend the pulpit. He expressed with tears running down his cheeks, ‘Praise be to the Allah that did not take my life so that I could see you here. Extend your hand that I may pledge allegiance to you.’ He extended his hand and pledged allegiance, then he came down from the pulpit and left the masjid.” Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib  asked, “Salman, do you know who that was?” I said, “No, but he upset me. It seemed as though he spoke facetiously of the Prophet’s death.” Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib said, “That was Satan—may Allah curse him. (Al-Kafi, vol. 8, pp. 343-344)

Is this narration reliable?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Pro-Alid said:

I was reading an article on al-islam.org, and I came across the following narration which says the first person to give their pledge of allegiance to Abu Bakr was the Shaytan who took the form of an old man:

It is narrated from Salman al-Farisi concerning the incident of Saqifah: Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib asked, “Do you know the man who ascended the pulpit and preceded everyone else in pledging his allegiance to Abu Bakr?” I said, “No. But I saw that he was an old man who leaned heavily on his cane, and I saw that on his forehead was a large callous that was the result of lengthy prostrations. He was the first to ascend the pulpit. He expressed with tears running down his cheeks, ‘Praise be to the Allah that did not take my life so that I could see you here. Extend your hand that I may pledge allegiance to you.’ He extended his hand and pledged allegiance, then he came down from the pulpit and left the masjid.” Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib  asked, “Salman, do you know who that was?” I said, “No, but he upset me. It seemed as though he spoke facetiously of the Prophet’s death.” Imam ‘Ali b. Abi Talib said, “That was Satan—may Allah curse him. (Al-Kafi, vol. 8, pp. 343-344)

Is this narration reliable?

Assalaamualeykum,

It seems hadeeth is Da'if (Weak) as per chain, full chain of this hadeeth which can be found in al-Kafi is:

علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن حماد بن عيسى، عن إبراهيم بن عمر اليماني، عن سليم بن قيس الهلالي  

The intermediary narrator between Ibrahim bin Umar and Suleym bin Qays is dropped in this chain, and he is Aban bin Abi Ayyash, this is evident from the book of Kitab Suleym bin Qays, vol 1, pg 143 in which same hadeeth is narrated by Aban bin Abi Ayyash from Suleym bin Qays and he is very weak according to our most of the scholars, therefore the chain of the hadeeth is Weak.

Allamah Majlisi grade this hadeeth as "Mukhtalif fiha" in Mirat ul Uqool, vol 26, pg 504 which mean he has difference of opinion in one the narrator which is present in chain.

Wa aleykumsalaam.