Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
yusur317

Why do we revere Sayids?

Rate this topic

I don't treat Seyeds any differently than to anyone else. 

But I do feel sometimes that they deem themselves to be "above every other Muslim" and sometimes they act too big for their boots as if they're all holy or something but that could just be my personal experience with them... 

6 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

I don't treat Seyeds any differently than to anyone else. 

But I do feel sometimes that they deem themselves to be "above every other Muslim" and sometimes they act too big for their boots as if they're all holy or something but that could just be my personal experience with them... 

yes I have seen such syeds but wait tell me is this be a ghebah if I tell you many other mistakes of syeds? I want to be on safe side :grin:

one of my syed friend misses prayers sometimes that is very negative about him although I tell him not to do that may Allah forgive him and he sometimes jokes with us do not know if it is sin to laugh excessively and also gets angry often very aggressive dude and what happened a few days before he did not share his notes to other friend of mine because teacher said him not to share his notes and because of teacher he did not share those notes!!!!! this looks me to be very selfish attitude, he could have shared those notes without telling the teacher :worried:

8 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

yes I have seen such syeds but wait tell me is this be a ghebah if I tell you many other mistakes of syeds? I want to be on safe side :grin:

Yeah that probably is (ghibah) backbiting lol :gossip:

8 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

Yeah that probably is (ghibah) backbiting lol :gossip:

ok then I will take print out of this and read before him what I said about him that will not be ghebah perhaps :grin: that will be truth

Edited by Flying_Eagle

What peeves me is when people make a big thing of mentioning they are a sayid (or so they believe), as though it suddenly should make us all bow down in reverence. I had someone argue with me once about something, I forget what, but they basically typed in capitals 'I AM SAYID', no salams no nothing, it's like the manners went out the window just so he could tell me he is superior to me. 

Some will agree, some will disagree, but my observation is that the sayid label isn't too far removed from the caste system labels people in India or Pakistan throw about. Sayids only want to marry sayids, or preferably sayids, forget the normal untouchable folk, they only want the social elite. A person could end up marrying a monster, but it doesn't matter, they are a 'sayid' so it's fine...

I heard that people would change or use surnames like Qureshi or surnames of status to push themselves up the social ladder, even though they weren't from that lineage. Do people do this with sayid too? 

44 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I heard that people would change or use surnames like Qureshi or surnames of status to push themselves up the social ladder, even though they weren't from that lineage. Do people do this with sayid too? 

Lol. Yeah my dad changed his surname to Jaffery and that is the family name and it will be the name of our descendants, it was "not to push us up the social ladder" though. It's always really funny meeting new people they always ask "Are you sayid?" and I'm like "no..." then they're like "OK....."

Edited by Ali~J

"Verily Allah chose Adam and Noah, and the progeny of Abraham and the progeny of 'Imran above all people." Qur'an

"It does not behove a man to lower himself before anybody but Allah. Please mount back on your horse. Even if you had not been an officer of the State, I would not have allowed you to lower yourself like this, the sight of such humiliation of man before man never pleases me. It is the worst form of tyranny which can be practiced." Imam Ali.

I think Islam is about balance. I always find the middle path so difficult as it's easy to go to one side or the other.

Edited by Warilla

1 hour ago, King said:

I am a Syed and wish I wasn't.  Just want to be normal and despise all this Syed nonsense.

Those who understand Urdu (if you don't then find a way to get it translated for you, maybe a friend?), watch this as this well-known scholar speaks about this matter using ahadith:

I revere all momineen who practice for the sake of Allah, and seyyeds who practice they are beautiful people to be around. I revere the elderly. I revere those who have nice akhlaq. I try to be considerate to all else for they are my brothers and sisters in humanity. 

6 hours ago, King said:

I am a Syed and wish I wasn't.  Just want to be normal and despise all this Syed nonsense.

well I think you should not be thankless to Allah (عزّ وجلّ) for a gift and do not take us on to your mind as if you are alien lolz, becoming syed is not only for by birth syeds I have read many honorary syeds by Prophet pbuhhp like Prophet (PBUHHP) said: "Do not call Salman as Salman-e-Farisi rather call me Salman-e-Muhammadi as he is from among my Ahlebait (عليه السلام)". And Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said about Zubyr ibn Awam: "he was from among us until his son Abdullah ibn Zubyr got birth". 

I have seen many syeds who lost their connection with Prophets and though were descendants of them but were thankless such as Agha Khan. And, I have seen many ordinary humans who were not syeds but Ishq of Ahlebait (عليه السلام) made them so rich that many syeds would sacrifice their life for them. 

Guest Sayed

Absolutely shameful comments by certain individuals showing hatred towards the lineage of Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), respecting sayeds is Wajib particularly for Shias. To clarify, being a Sayed is a honour and a sayed must understand their responbilities, they must enjoin the good and forbid the evil. Also being sayed does not guarantee you a paradise, a bad sayed will be doubly punished 

There is an increasing trend amongst so called Shias showing hatred towards the descendents of bibi Fatima (sa), very sad, ask the scholars, mujtahids the status of saadat 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) keep all momineen on the straight path and stop hatred being spread

8 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

well I think you should not be thankless to Allah (عزّ وجلّ) for a gift and do not take us on to your mind as if you are alien lolz, becoming syed is not only for by birth syeds I have read many honorary syeds by Prophet pbuhhp like Prophet (PBUHHP) said: "Do not call Salman as Salman-e-Farisi rather call me Salman-e-Muhammadi as he is from among my Ahlebait (عليه السلام)". And Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said about Zubyr ibn Awam: "he was from among us until his son Abdullah ibn Zubyr got birth". 

I have seen many syeds who lost their connection with Prophets and though were descendants of them but were thankless such as Agha Khan. And, I have seen many ordinary humans who were not syeds but Ishq of Ahlebait (عليه السلام) made them so rich that many syeds would sacrifice their life for them. 

Any religion that is moral should base nobility on individual actions, intentions and deeds alone.  This ascribing special status to people just because of lineage is immoral and tends to totally contradict other teachers of Islam.  You can say that Islam has its contradictions.

4 hours ago, Guest Sayed said:

Absolutely shameful comments by certain individuals showing hatred towards the lineage of Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), respecting sayeds is Wajib particularly for Shias. To clarify, being a Sayed is a honour and a sayed must understand their responbilities, they must enjoin the good and forbid the evil. Also being sayed does not guarantee you a paradise, a bad sayed will be doubly punished 

There is an increasing trend amongst so called Shias showing hatred towards the descendents of bibi Fatima (sa), very sad, ask the scholars, mujtahids the status of saadat 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) keep all momineen on the straight path and stop hatred being spread

Maybe you have comprehension issues.  No one showed hatred towards descendants of bibi Fatima.  I know what the teachings are and I find them problematic.  I ascribe no special status to syeds, I treat them like any other human being.

14 minutes ago, King said:

Any religion that is moral should base nobility on individual actions, intentions and deeds alone.  This ascribing special status to people just because of lineage is immoral and tends to totally contradict other teachers of Islam.  You can say that Islam has its contradictions.

Maybe you have comprehension issues.  No one showed hatred towards descendants of bibi Fatima.  I know what the teachings are and I find them problematic.  I ascribe no special status to syeds, I treat them like any other human being.

that is very sad to know brother, no one is placing syeds over non-syeds we all are sons and daughters of Hazrat Adam (عليه السلام). Perhaps, you are disappointed for being born a syed while I do not think that it is a sin to be born as syed. I think you never learnt other quote of Imam Reza (عليه السلام) in which He (عليه السلام) said: "We the progeny of Muhammad (PBUHHP) are servants of our Ummah, and like our Ummah is bound to follow us, we are bound to serve them". Really hurt by the way you have shown your following disgust lolz.

15 hours ago, King said:

Prophet pbuhhp does not force you to call yourself as syed if you really want to leave your identity no one would force you to remain as syed.

4 hours ago, Guest Sayed said:

Brother/Sister, I must have missed the posts that you are referring to above.

I completely agree that being a Syed is synonymous with respect, honour and pride. Being a 100% Syed myself from both my mother and father's side, I would also like to add that respect must be earned by one's actions, behaviour and conduct.  One can not expect respect to be handed to one on a platter simply because of one's lineage. How many Syeds can claim to live by the examples/lessons taught by our beloved Prophet? I for one can not make this claim and therefore I do not feel it would be fitting for me to be revered simply for my surname that I made no effort to earn.

Edited by Aflower

5 minutes ago, Aflower said:

Brother/Sister, I must have missed the posts that you are referring to above.

I completely agree that being a Syed is an honour. Being a 100% Syed myself from both my mother and father's side, I would also like to add that respect must be earned by one's actions, behaviour and conduct.  One can not expect respect to be handed to one on a platter simply because of one's lineage. How many Syeds can claim to live by the examples/lessons taught by our beloved Prophet? I for one can not make this claim and therefore I can not expect to be put on a pedestal. 

lolz sister this discussion has been happening for centuries. people are sometime behaving as if syeds are lower caste so much hatred for nothing lolz. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said one could never reach to jannah because of his or her lineage so why are innocent people who are born as syeds being targeted all the time, they never created themselves as syed and if they are I see no problem in it. 

Edited by Flying_Eagle

3 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

lolz sister this discussion has been happening for centuries. people are sometime behaving as if syeds are lower caste so much hatred for nothing lolz. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said one could never reach to jannah because of his or her lineage so why are innocent people who are born as syeds being targeted all the time, they never created themselves as syed and if they are I see no problem in it. 

I have never in my entire life come across anyone who has stated that "syeds are lower caste" as you have mentioned above. That is definitely a first. 

The same majalises are repeated every year - the same debates take place on ShiaChat after a period of time. Many discussions "have been happening for centuries" - that doesn't mean that it isn't a value adding process.

I don't know of any Syeds that are being "targeted" either. 

I do not understand the points you are raising.

3 minutes ago, Aflower said:

I have never in my entire life come across anyone who has stated that "syeds are lower caste" as you have mentioned above. That is definitely a first. 

The same majalises are repeated every year - the same debates take place on ShiaChat after a period of time. Many discussions "have been happening for centuries" - that doesn't mean that it isn't a value adding process.

I don't know of any Syeds that are being "targeted" either. 

I do not understand the points you are raising.

well disgust of people does point as if syeds are thing from whom people should be disgusted. but I do not disgust anyone.

all of those people who consider that syeds are disgusting please boycott all syeds, I just respect syeds because of Prophet pbuhhp and try to find some reflections of my Prophets and his family in their faces because I read one of Ahlebait saying that when Allah (عزّ وجلّ) creates someone all the images of his ancestors are brought forth and it depends upon Allah (عزّ وجلّ) whether to give them face like their ancestors or make a new face and I will find among the facial features of those who smile at syeds love of Prophet pbuhhp. 

Love you all Muslimeen.

19 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

well disgust of people does point as if syeds are thing from whom people should be disgusted. but I do not disgust anyone.

People may be disappointed in some Syeds because they (rightfully so) expect them to behave/conduct themselves and act in a particular manner that they believe should be superior than non-Syeds. Some people - especially in villages - expect Syeds to be 'model Muslims'. I apologise if some Syeds do not meet your expectations - or live up to the standards that one expects Syeds to adhere to. But please remember that Syeds too are merely fallible humans like non-Syeds. 

Last but not least - we will all be judged on the day of Judgement by Allah (Syeds and non-Syeds). We should all focus on our own actions rather than pointing fingers at others.

Edit - For purpose of clarity: I am not saying that Syeds are superior; but rather the expectation is that they should live their lives as superior Muslims and thus they are more open to being judged.

Edited by Aflower

3 minutes ago, Aflower said:

People may be disappointed in some Syeds because they (rightfully so) expect them to behave/conduct themselves and act in a particular manner that they believe should be superior than non-Syeds. I apologise if some Syeds do not meet your expectations - or live up to the standards that one expect Syeds to adhere to. But please remember that Syeds too are merely fallible humans like non-Syeds. 

Last but not least - we will all be judged on the day of Judgement by Allah (Syeds and non-Syeds). We should all focus on our own actions rather than pointing fingers at others.

Well, I pray Allah (عزّ وجلّ) give Hidayah to all the Muslims.

Guest Sayed

I am Allhamodillah a sayed. I do not go around asking people to respect me, people who understand Islam and teachings of 14 masoomen (عليه السلام) show respect due to me being connected to the Imams (عليه السلام). 

However, if a sayed or sayeda proudly says they are from the family of Prophet Mohammed ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) what’s the issue with that? SubhanAllah if your grandfather is Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and your grandmother is bibi Fatima (sa) that is a huge honour and you would be so proud to have your bloodline linked to them. 

Your character must be clean, humble, decent, best Aklaq, etc being a sayed

there are many examples of the Sadat who meet these criteria’s, many aulia Allah, Mujtahids, Marjas

also, to add the Sadat are not infallible, you get good and bad like all creeds and walks of life. Please stop the hate people

Guest Sayed

Also to add please speak to Agha Sistani and other Mujtahids about azmat e Sadat.

the Sunnis have that love for the Sadat, unfortunately some so called Shias have an issue. 

11 hours ago, Guest Sayed said:

Also to add please speak to Agha Sistani and other Mujtahids about azmat e Sadat.

the Sunnis have that love for the Sadat, unfortunately some so called Shias have an issue. 

let us bury the hatchets brother, whether or not people respect each other, we have to be patient as life has been like that since centuries. 

Guest Sayed
5 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

let us bury the hatchets brother, whether or not people respect each other, we have to be patient as life has been like that since centuries. 

Agreed, zulm on Shias and Sadat has existed for centuries and still exists today. 

17 hours ago, Guest Sayed said:

Agreed, zulm on Shias and Sadat has existed for centuries and still exists today. 

People are miscommunication about syeds, both sadaat and non-sadaat are unaware as to what is meaning of syed. Some syeds behave like Barhamans and because of that people disgust them like Shodras. While the real meaning for them should be that a Syed should think that if people respect them, it is because of Prophet Muhammad (PBUHHP) and he does not has his exclusive specialty for which people are respecting him and , therefore, he should stick to his (PBUHHP) teaching and should place all non-syed brothers and sisters in his brain as love of our beloved Prophet (PBUHHP) for whom he used to weep in nights and horrors of their harms led Allah (عزّ وجلّ) to say that: "O! Prophet, do not grief over those who do not listen to you". Prophet (PBUHHP) loved humanity after Allah (عزّ وجلّ) and this love was put into his heart by Allah (عزّ وجلّ) so much that he wept mostly for them in silent nights. Let us put such love of our brothers and sisters into our heart like Prophet (PBUHHP) has.

For non-syeds, I would just say that do not belittle syeds, not all are alike and it may not happen that you hurt one good soul instead of one bad soul, it may be that some syeds are not as good as they should have been, and you should act as counter-balance against their such bad behavior by reminding them when they are boasting that you do not have your own character to be boastful, what you boast at, is because of our Prophet (PBUHHP) who struggled and made his name, and you are boasting on his struggle, while you have no any individual accomplishment, so instead of being a disappointment for Prophet (PBUHHP) that you are belittling his family name, prove yourself a good daughter or son.

On 8/25/2017 at 1:45 AM, Qa'im said:

Sayyids would paternally share that nobility.

Certain sayids are dead walking against the Qur'an. Sodomy & sayids don't go together @ all such that the term needs to be defined properly. female ones are $#@+*π©¢√π|~×∆=°^®€¥©%. 

It doesn't disappoint though for Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) enlightened through Nuh(as)'s son.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, yusur317 said:

:salam: 

I have a real issue with the way people treat Sayyids compared to non-sayids. 

How is this justified? 

You can thank the caste system and the Muslims in South Asia for allowing that to happen Sayyid is the highest caste among Muslims in the subcontinent, in fact certain families will reject their family members if they marry a non Sayyid.