Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is the Angel of Death like?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

"Azrael" has a Hebrew origin, consisting of two parts ("Azra" and "el") where the first part means servant and the second means God, and so the phrase literally means "the servant of God". The word found its way to Arabic (by transforming into "'Izra'il") through the Syriac language.

Azrael is referred to in the Qur'an as "Malak al-Mawt" (the Angel of Death): "Say: "The Angel of Death, put in charge of you, will take your souls: then shall ye be brought back to your Lord."". He is also referred to in hadiths as "Qābiḍ al-Arwāḥ" (قابض الأرواح, literally: taker of the souls) and "Hādim al-Dhāt" (هادِم الذات, literally: destroyer of the essence).

According to hadiths, Azrael is a manifestation of divine attributes, "al-Qābiḍ" (القابض) and "al-Mumīt" (المُمیت), because it is God who expands people's souls or grasps them, although He does this with His agents, such as angels and Azrael. Azrael, Mika'il, Israfil, and Jabra'il are characterized as "Heads of Angels" (Ru'us al-Mala'ika). According to some hadiths, the Guarded Tablet (al-Lawh al-Mahfuz) consists of four elements: knowledge, life, will, and power, and Azrael is a manifestation of its power.

According to some hadiths, in the last moments of the Prophet Muhammad's (s) life, Fatima (a) and Azrael, who was permitted to enter the Prophet's (s) house, had a conversation. Also, some physical properties are attributed to Azrael in some sources of hadiths, such as having four wings which cover the four sides of the whole world with his feet in the bottom of the world and his head in the sky. However, according to Shiite theologians, the wings of angels are not analogous to those of birds, since they are immaterial entities. Their attributes are cashed out in hadiths in ways that are understandable by laypeople.

• Forum Administrators
On 8/17/2017 at 4:18 PM, Miss Wonderful said:

From the hadiths, can we tell if he is aggressive, mean, sad personality-wise? thanks

Sister, in 2010 I had a topic about the Angel of Death and it is 3 pages long. Do you want the answer quick or do you want to read all the posts? :D 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234975142-angel-of-death/

• Forum Administrators

SPOILER ALERT -- Please read the previous post first. 

The Angel of Death takes out the soul violently if a person is evil. For those who are a Believer, inShaAllah he will take out their souls gently. 

• Advanced Member

Yes, I was reading thru the pages, the other day.....so should i treat the angel of death like a friend? @Hameedeh  because sometimes i feel like i want to die early...like not suicidal but i would like an early death

Edited by Miss Wonderful

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Miss Wonderful said:

Yes, I was reading thru the pages, the other day.....so should i treat the angel of death like a friend? @Hameedeh  because sometimes i feel like i want to die early...like not suicidal but i would like an early death

Don't make me cry, Sister. You haven't lived long enough to make that kind of statement. Marry and have children and become a grandmother and then think like that. :( 

• Advanced Member
On 8/20/2017 at 11:42 AM, Miss Wonderful said:

because sometimes i feel like i want to die early...like not suicidal but i would like an early death

Your place in akhirah is depend upon what life you have here sister. If you want to go to hell - than make your future hell here now. If you want to go to jannah - than make your future jannah here now. Jannah is not a freebie, it is your handiwork. Allah does not punish for no reason nor does he grant for no reason. This short time now we have (Al Asr)  is your moment for the next Al Dahr (the very long time). If you screw up here you will pay with the price and it will be "Abadan" translated "forever", you don't want that, I don't want that.

I am sorry I can't give you prettier picture because that would be a lie.

Being charitable even a little is one of the best human can do for the future, even a smile is great gift to those in despair.