Shogun

Is it permissible to look at a non-mahram female?

Rate this topic

In Islam is it haram to look at an image of a women like a facebook photo? 

I'd appreciate a verdict from Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra) as he is my marja. I've read missed opinions and would like a final verdict to ease my mind.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Shogun said:

I'd appreciate a verdict from Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra) as he is my marja. I've read missed opinions and would like a final verdict to ease my mind.

Salam. Since Ayatullah Fadlullah RA has passed away several years ago, you can contact his office and ask the people who take care of his orphanage, hospital and other organizations. Surely there is a team of people who answer religious questions for his followers. 

Most of the Ulema have the same ruling:

The Rules of Looking at Photographs

A) Men Looking at the Photographs of Non-Mahram Women

57 – Rule: Men are permitted to look at the photographs of non-Mahram women who are properly observing their hijab (in the photo) with the condition that it is not with the intention of lust.

Howvere, there are some exceptions, such as whether the man knows the woman or not.

Some of the Ulema make a distinction if the man knows the woman:

58 – Rule: If there is a photograph in which a woman has not observed her hijab properly, and the man knows that woman, then he is not allowed to look at that photo. If he does not know her, then he is allowed to look at the photograph of that non-Mahram woman, with the condition that it is not with the intention of lust.

Another ruling by Ayatullah Ali al-Araki RA:

It is not a problem to look at the photographs of non-Mahram women, or films with them in it by means of the television or other than that, if it is not with the intention of lust or fear of falling into corruption and sin, even if one knows the person in the photograph.

According to Ayatullah Sayyid Muhammad Riza Gulpaygani:

In the event that the man does not know the woman, then according to Ihtiyat Mustahab, he should not look at her photograph; and if he knows her, then according to Ihtiyat Wajib, he must not look at her photograph, especially if it is degrading to her stature, and /or associated with corruption.

Ayatullah Nasir Makarim:

In the event that the woman believes in observing and protecting the Islamic hijab, then looking at a photograph of her without hijab is problematic, unless the man does not know her and looking at the photograph will not lead to any corruption.

Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Husaini Sistani:

If the non-Mahram woman in the photo has not observed the proper Islamic hijab, then in the event that the woman is not among those who do not observe proper hijab, or do not observe hijab at all and if she was told to wear it, she would not listen, and the man looking at the photograph knows her, then according to Ihtiyat Wajib, he must not look at that photograph. In other than this scenario, it is not a problem to look (at that photograph) as long as it is not with the intention of deriving pleasure or enjoyment.

Ayatullah Sayyid Muhammad Riza Gulpaygani and Ayatullah Ruhullah Khomeini RA:

Therefore: Men must not look at the family photo albums in which there are women family members who are not observing their proper hijab.

You can read more information about The Rules of Looking at Photographs here:

https://www.al-islam.org/code-ethics-muslim-men-and-women-sayyid-masud-masumi/rules-related-looking-others#rules-looking-photographs

The Rules of Watching Films:

https://www.al-islam.org/code-ethics-muslim-men-and-women-sayyid-masud-masumi/rules-related-looking-others#rules-watching-films

3 hours ago, Shogun said:

Thanks

What is your age @Shogun