In the Name of God بسم الله

living with non-muslim roommates

Rate this topic

Afsaneh14

• Advanced Member

Anyone living in London knows how expensive it is and the difficulty of finding a place to live. I no longer have family here, so i have to live on my own. however, for me the only option i can afford is shared housing, having house mates. It never really occurred to me that this could POSSIBLY not be permissable, until recently. my house mates are a non-muslim couple (i think they're a couple). i don't really see them much, as I work a night shift, they a day shift. Last night i came home to bottles of alcohol and butt-naked people sprawled out across the floor. also, on a number of occasions i've had to hear some *haram* noises coming from their bedroom....

as a muslimah, is it  permissable for me to live in such an environment?

jazakallah khayr in advance xx 

• Advanced Member

When the ground is slippery,the chances of slipping increases exponentially.

Although Ahle kitab i.e Christians,Jews etc are pak according to Ayatollah Sistani.(But you cannot eat meat cooked by them unless you are sure that it is halal)

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01120/

If you can find another place to live then it is better for you else you can check the above link and act accordingly.If you feel that you will fall in to sinning than you MUST look for other accomodations.

Edited by GhazanfarJafri

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, MariyahLaleh said:

any muslimah would be a better situation. Mu duas for you sister

yes, inshaallah i will try and find another muslimah, and if not my own place. jazakallah sister, your dua really means alot

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, GhazanfarJafri said:

When the ground is slippery,the chances of slipping increases exponentially.

Although Ahle kitab i.e Christians,Jews etc are pak according to Ayatollah Sistani.(But you cannot eat meat cooked by them unless you are sure that it is halal)

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01120/

If you can find another place to live then it is better for you else you can check the above link and act accordingly.If you feel that you will fall in to sinning than you MUST look for other accomodations.

I think the Muslim world and scholars need to now realise, most of the people in Europe are not Ahle Kitab any more, they are athiests. And 99% likely the sisters roomates fall into this category I.e. Atheism. 

On a separate note many Arabs from the Middle East who come to the UK eat meat from restaurants which is not halal, however their scholars have said because the Europeans are Ahle Kitab then the meat is halal (this is acceptable to them I.e. Sunnis). I found this extremely ridiculous, because even if you accept that ruling, the truth is today in 2017 the Europeans are not Ahle Kitab in the vast majority of cases. They are athiests. They don't recite the name of God when they kill the animals (unlike the Ahle Kitab would have done in the old ages).