Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Confused on Taqlid

Rate this topic

I know there are 1000000 threads about this, but I'm so confused on 1. If taqlid is wajib 2. If it's wajib and you never choose one, will you go to hell? 3. How do you choose a marja, as in, do you have to fill out a form or is it based on whoever you agree with? 

• Basic Members

As-Salaam Aleykum,

1) Taqlid is wajib. It is wajib because we as the average Muslim do not know all the rules and regulations, jurisprudence and requirements that Allah has of us.

2) I'm not sure about if you will go to hell or whatever. InShaAllah someone more enlightened that myself will clarify.

3) You simply find someone who is a Marja and see their opinion on certain topics. The stricter, the better because you are less likely to stray from the path of righteousness. You find the most knowledgeable Marja and follow his rulings.

But remember, their rulings are not divine law. It is their interpretation of the laws left behind by the Prophet (PBUHAHF) and his blessed Progeny (SAWAWS).

• Veteran Member
On 8/15/2017 at 1:45 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I know there are 1000000 threads about this, but I'm so confused on 1. If taqlid is wajib 2. If it's wajib and you never choose one, will you go to hell? 3. How do you choose a marja, as in, do you have to fill out a form or is it based on whoever you agree with? 

Salaam sister,

Taqlid is nothing more than following and expert in your religious affairs. It's wajib because they teach/tell you how to follow Islam properly. Example: how to do wudu' how to pray, rules of hajj, etc. Taqlid is for furuh-e-deen. There is no taqlid for usul-e-deen.

Far be it for me to say who will go to hell. I will just say that relying on one's own opinion rather than that of an expert's is a recipe for disaster. Example: I keep taking medicine A even though my doctor says take medicine B.

Choose one you are most comfortable with. Inshallah you can't go wrong with any legitimate marja.