Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

Is watching anime haram and a waste of time?

Rate this topic

I recently started watching Rurouni Kenshin and have been thinking to myself if what I am watching is haram because their are some haram elements such as the music in the background and mild sexual references and so on. I pray five times a day and read Quran and Dua, but I'm not sure if I could better spend my time doing something more productive. I also wanted to ask is what I'm doing a waste of time? The Quran speaks of all the good we should do while we are on this earth is watching something like anime beneficial, negative or neutral. Islamically after you finish your obligations (prayers) listen to some Quran and Dua should you further strive to learn more about Islam or is their leeway to watch tv, anime etc.   

First of all, perhaps the ruling upon what you are watching may differ from jurist to jurist. So to answer you specifically brother, we may need to know who you follow.

Chances are some of the music in the background may be classified as halal according to some jurists.

17 hours ago, E.L King said:

First of all, perhaps the ruling upon what you are watching may differ from jurist to jurist. So to answer you specifically brother, we may need to know who you follow.

Chances are some of the music in the background may be classified as halal according to some jurists.

Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra)

1 hour ago, Shogun said:

Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra)

The issue has been extensively discussed by His Eminence, Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra). In accordance to his view, the jurisprudential ruling regarding music and singing takes into account the following titles: the melody and lyrics of the song. However, we tend to believe that the music, which does not stoke one’s instincts, nor lead to a state of trance, and which does not include sexually arousing themes, is considered religiously permissible.

Accordingly, classical music, and enthusiastic songs and soundtracks, which soothe one’s nerves, exhilarate his spirit, and lift his soul up, are permissible.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/Editorials/Shariah_Music.htm