Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Zakat or Khums or Sadaqa?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Zakat = That which purifies

Khums = One-fifth

Sadaqah = Charity

Zakat is commonly thought of (among Sunnis) to be paying 2.5% of your income or wealth to charity for the sake of purification.  

Khums is a Twelver Shia concept of giving 20% (one-fifth) of your income or wealth to the Ahlulbayt or their representatives (i.e. the scholars).  

Sadaqah is charity that is given, and is frequently done for purification so is also Zakat.  

• 1 year later...
  • Veteran Member

Zakat for shias i. It is obligatory to pay Zakat on the following things:Wheat Barley Dates Raisins Gold Silver Camel Cow Sheep (including goat) As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business
And if a person is the owner of any of these ten things he should, in accordance with the conditions which will be mentioned later, put their fixed quantity to one of the uses as prescribed.. It is obligatory to pay Zakat on the following things:Wheat Barley Dates Raisins Gold Silver Camel Cow Sheep (including goat) As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business
And if a person is the owner of any of these ten things he should, in accordance with the conditions which will be mentioned later, put their fixed quantity to one of the uses as prescribed.. It is obligatory to pay Zakat on the following things:Wheat Barley Dates Raisins Gold Silver Camel Cow Sheep (including goat) As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business
And if a person is the owner of any of these ten things he should, in accordance with the conditions which will be mentioned later, put their fixed quantity to one of the uses as prescribed.. It is obligatory to pay Zakat on the following things:Wheat Barley Dates Raisins Gold Siler Camel Cow Sheep (including goat) As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business
And if a person is the owner of any of these ten things he should, in accordance with the conditions which will be mentioned later, put their fixed quantity to one of the uses as prescribed.s:

. It is obligatory to pay Zakat on the following things:Wheat Barley Dates Raisins Gold Silver Camel Cow Sheep (including goat) As an obligatory precaution, upon the wealth in business
And if a person is the owner of any of these ten things he should, in accordance with the conditions which will be mentioned later, put their fixed quantity to one of the uses as prescribed.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2294/

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Carlzone said:

I hope that it's ok if I ask a related question here,

If a person mistakingly paid 100 dollars too much in zakaat. Is it halal to change the niyya of that excess money to khums instead? 

One can never pay too much zakat so let it be. Just like there is no such thing as too much sadaqa.

Now you will pay khums on $100 less.

• Advanced Member

Is it ok if I ask another related question?

If I have 5000 dollars and a debt of 1000 dollars and my day of paying khums arrives. How much khums do I have to pay? According to Sayyid Sistani.

1000 dollars? 800 dollars? 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Is it ok if I ask another related question?

If I have 5000 dollars and a debt of 1000 dollars and my day of paying khums arrives. How much khums do I have to pay? According to Sayyid Sistani.

1000 dollars? 800 dollars? 

If you pay off your debt before khums day, then it would be $800.

If you dont pay the debt and keep $5,000 then it would be $1,000 in khums.

• Advanced Member

I have a little complicated khums question that I'd be very thankful if someone knows the answer to. 

If a relative gives me money as a gift, but he/she lives in a different country and the money is kept there. If I can't go there and get the money and he/she can't transfer it to me either and khumsday arrives - do I have to pay khums for it or can I wait to pay khums for it until the money actually is in my possession? Also it is not certain that I will get access to the money. So the money is theoretically mine but I'm not certain that I will get it for real. 

Also I wonder if we have to pay khums for money that is gifted to us? 

What if the person who gifts the money to me already has paid khums for it, do I have to pay khums for it when it's in my possession? 

• Advanced Member

Salam if you receive it before khums time you can pay its khums from what remains after spending of it but if you receive it after that you can do it for next year from remaining .

10 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Also I wonder if we have to pay khums for money that is gifted to us? 

Imam Khamenei (ha) : Gift doesn't has Khums

Grand Ayatollah Sistani (ha):if until khums day it has remaining , it has khums.

http://hadana.ir/آیا-هدیه-خمس-دارد/

10 hours ago, Carlzone said:

What if the person who gifts the money to me already has paid khums for it, do I have to pay khums for it when it's in my possession? 

No

• Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam if you receive it before khums time you can pay its khums from what remains after spending of it but if you receive it after that you can do it for next year from remaining .

Imam Khamenei (ha) : Gift doesn't has Khums

Grand Ayatollah Sistani (ha):if until khums day it has remaining , it has khums.

http://hadana.ir/آیا-هدیه-خمس-دارد/

No

Wa aleykom alsalam, 

Thank you for your help! 

So if it gets in my possession before khumsday I pay khums. Otherwise I wait until next year or whatever year I get it and then pay khums for it that year.

I did not know that Sayyid Khamenei and Sayyid Sistani differed on this issue. 

Did i understand this correctly - if the person who gifts the money to me already has paid khums for it  then I don't have to pay khums for it even if I follow Sayyid Sistani?

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Carlzone said:

Did i understand this correctly - if the person who gifts the money to me already has paid khums for it  then I don't have to pay khums for it even if I follow Sayyid Sistani?

yeah:cool: