Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ya Allah Madad

Imam Ali and divine revelation?

Rate this topic

On 6/25/2017 at 2:32 AM, Ya Allah Madad said:

Did Imam Ali a.s ever recieve any sort of revelation?

Salam brother,  revelation has stopped because Islam is complete. But if you are saying if the angels speak to the Imam then there is no problem in that. I've also read that they don't see the angel but they hear the angels. 

Also remember that Sayeda Maryam was not a Prophet and RuhulAmeen came to her. 

3 hours ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

Salam brother,  revelation has stopped because Islam is complete. But if you are saying if the angels speak to the Imam then there is no problem in that. I've also read that they don't see the angel but they hear the angels. 

Also remember that Sayeda Maryam was not a Prophet and RuhulAmeen came to her. 

W.salam brother.

Rooh ul ameen came to Sayeda Maryam to convey the divine message i.e it was a revelation.

Seeing the angel is not important but hearing is. You will get messages through hearing not by just seeing the angel.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Ya Allah Madad said:

W.salam brother.

Rooh ul ameen came to Sayeda Maryam to convey the divine message i.e it was a revelation.

The first of them, Imam ‘Ali, got his knowledge of religion and the Divine Laws from Prophet Muhammad directly. Later Imams got it from the preceding Imams. There was NO revelation of Divine Law (concerning oneself or people) after Prophet Muhammad (S). Allah may inform something to his appointed Imam, but the information is not any how related to Divine Law since the religion is complete. The information is only related to what happened and what will happen.

They are known as muhaaddithin as per shia hadith.

And as per sunni hadith there are also muhditthin and  Umar  is also a muhadith

13 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

The first of them, Imam ‘Ali, got his knowledge of religion and the Divine Laws from Prophet Muhammad directly. Later Imams got it from the preceding Imams. There was NO revelation of Divine Law (concerning oneself or people) after Prophet Muhammad (S). Allah may inform something to his appointed Imam, but the information is not any how related to Divine Law since the religion is complete. The information is only related to what happened and what will happen.

And as per sunni hadith there are also muhditthin and  Umar  is also a muhadith

Its not about new or old etc.

Question is Did Imam Ali a.s ever receive any sort of revelation or divine messages?

And if yes any examples?

SHow me the sunni hadith which say so?

2 minutes ago, Ya Allah Madad said:

Question is Did Imam Ali a.s ever receive any sort of revelation or divine messages?

And if yes any examples?

https://www.al-islam.org/ali-best-sahabah-toyib-olawuyi/15-hadith-saluni-investigating-its-authenticity

حدثنا ابن المثنى، قال: ثنا محمد بن جعفر، قال: ثنا شعبة، عن القاسم بن أبي بزة، قال: سمعت أبا الطفيل، قال: سمعت عليا رضي الله عنه عنه يقول: لا تسألوني عن كتاب ناطق، ولا سنة ماضية، إلا حدثتكم، فسأله ابن الكواء عن الذاريات، فقال: هي الرياح.

Imam Ibn Jarir al-Tabari (d. 310 H)

Ibn al-Muthanna – Muhammad b. Ja’far – Shu’bah – al-Qasim b. Abi Bazzah – Abu al-Tufayl:

I heard ‘Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, saying, “You will not ask me about ANY articulate Book or ANY bygone Sunnah, except that I will tell you.” So, Ibn al-Kawa asked him about al-Zariyat, and he replied, “It is the winds”

عبد الرزاق عن معمر عن وهب بن عبد الله عن أبي الطفيل قال شهدت عليا وهو يخطب وهو يقول سلوني فوالله لا تسألوني عن شئ يكون إلى يوم القيامة إلا حدثتكم به وسلوني عن كتاب الله فوالله ما من آية إلا وأنا أعلم بليل نزلت أم بنهار أم في سهل أم في جبل

‘Abd al-Razzaq – Ma’mar – Wahb b. ‘Abd Allah – Abu al-Tufayl:

I witnessed ‘Ali while he was delivering a sermon and saying, “Ask me! I swear by Allah, you will not ask me about ANYTHING that will occur up till the Day of Resurrection except that I will inform you of it. Ask me about the Book of Allah. I swear by Allah, there is NOT a single verse except that I know whether it was revealed during the night or during the day, or on a level land or on a mountain

these are sahih sunni hadith, on a page full of sahih sunni hadith. 

how do you imagine that maula ali (as) knew about anything that would occur up until the day of Resurrection, if not by revelation? do you believe he had power separate to Allah? or without allahs permission? 

13 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

And as per sunn ihadith there are also muhditthin and  Umar  is also a muhadith

I have mentioned my answer in the above part with higlighting it.

I do not intend spoon feed , you may need to google forgetting the sunni hadith of muhathithun that include Umar

14 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:
22 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

And as per sunn ihadith there are also muhditthin and  Umar  is also a muhadith

I have mentioned my answer in the above part with higlighting it.

I do not intend spoon feed , you may need to google forgetting the sunni hadith of muhathithun that include Umar

Revelation means getting knowledge or guidance from Allah swt. Entire Quran is revelation from Allah which contain both divine laws plus events of future and past. All are revelations.

Your answer at one point say there was no revelation of law and other point it say Allah may inform sth to His Imams. Again twisting of things.

Till date brother you havnt answered my any question properly and honestly.

Let me repeat again.

Did Imam Ali a.s ever recieve any sort of revelation? Any type of revelation be it law or sth else. Simple yes or no. If yes give some examples. Thats it. Why you make everything so complicated and twisted.

17 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

these are sahih sunni hadith, on a page full of sahih sunni hadith. 

how do you imagine that maula ali (as) knew about anything that would occur up until the day of Resurrection, if not by revelation? do you believe he had power separate to Allah? or without allahs permission? 

These are sahih according to al-islam.org. Show me verdicts of sunni scholars on their authenticity. Show me a single respected sunni rijal scholar who had said regarding such narrations that it means Imam Ali a.s. used to recieve revelations from Allah swt. Moroever, a sahih hadith can also be wrong when it contradicts with Quran.

For ahlul sunnah end of prophethood means end of divine revelations. The only thing which is remainning today from prophethood is true dreams.

It was narrated that Ibn 'Abbas said:
"The Prophet (ﷺ) drew back the curtain when the people were in rows behind Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with him, and said: 'O people, there is nothing left of the features of Prophethood except a good dream that a Muslim sees or is seen by others for him.' Then he said: 'Verily, I have been forbidden from reciting the Qur'an when bowing or prostrating. As for bowing, glorify the Lord therein, and as for prostration, strive hard in supplication for it is more deserving of a response.'" Sunan an-Nasa'i 1045

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "A good dream (that comes true) of a righteous man is one of forty-six parts of prophetism." Sahih al-Bukhari 6983

See how much there is a difference between a prophet and a non prophet (1/46 part). Imam Ali a.s is also a non prophet.

In this thread I asked about shia belief?

2 hours ago, Ya Allah Madad said:

These are sahih according to al-islam.org. Show me verdicts of sunni scholars on their authenticity. Show me a single respected sunni rijal scholar who had said regarding such narrations that it means Imam Ali a.s. used to recieve revelations from Allah swt. Moroever, a sahih hadith can also be wrong when it contradicts with Quran.

Do you not know how to read?

The sources & chains & sunni scholars opinions are all clearly listed for each and every hadith on the page. Just because you personally cannot accept it out of nasb, that doesnt mean its not real.

20 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Imam Ibn Jarir al-Tabari (d. 310 H)

Ibn al-Muthanna – Muhammad b. Ja’far – Shu’bah – al-Qasim b. Abi Bazzah – Abu al-Tufayl:

I heard ‘Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, saying, “You will not ask me about ANY articulate Book or ANY bygone Sunnah, except that I will tell you.” So, Ibn al-Kawa asked him about al-Zariyat, and he replied, “It is the winds”

Ibn Abbas also said the same, then what does it mean he also used to recieve revelations?

حَدَّثَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ مُوسَى، أَخْبَرَنَا هِشَامُ بْنُ يُوسُفَ، أَنَّ ابْنَ جُرَيْجٍ، أَخْبَرَهُمْ قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي يَعْلَى بْنُ مُسْلِمٍ، وَعَمْرُو بْنُ دِينَارٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ، يَزِيدُ أَحَدُهُمَا عَلَى صَاحِبِهِ وَغَيْرَهُمَا قَدْ سَمِعْتُهُ يُحَدِّثُهُ عَنْ سَعِيدٍ قَالَ إِنَّا لَعِنْدَ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ فِي بَيْتِهِ، إِذْ قَالَ سَلُونِي

Narrated Ibn Juraij:

Ya`la bin Muslim and `Amr bin Dinar and some others narrated the narration of Sa`id bin Jubair. Narrated Sa`id: While we were at the house of Ibn `Abbas, Ibn `Abbas said, "Ask me (any question) or Salooni"

And they asked him amny things. Full narration is here https://www.sunnah.com/urn/180610

20 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

I witnessed ‘Ali while he was delivering a sermon and saying, “Ask me! I swear by Allah, you will not ask me about ANYTHING that will occur up till the Day of Resurrection except that I will inform you of it. Ask me about the Book of Allah. I swear by Allah, there is NOT a single verse except that I know whether it was revealed during the night or during the day, or on a level land or on a mountain

Abdullah ibn Masood also used to say the same, then what does it mean he also used to recieve revelations?

Narrated `Abdullah (bin Mas`ud):

By Allah other than Whom none has the right to be worshipped! There is no Sura revealed in Allah's Book but I know at what place it was revealed; and there is no Verse revealed in Allah's Book but I know about whom it was revealed. And if I know that there is somebody who knows Allah's Book better than I, and he is at a place that camels can reach, I would go to him. https://sunnah.com/bukhari/66/24

Al-islam.org is just doing pick and choose whatever suit them, they deliberately ignore other many clear things which are from most authentic and primary sources. THis shows their intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.

4 hours ago, Ya Allah Madad said:

Your answer at one point say there was no revelation of law and other point it say Allah may inform sth to His Imams. Again twisting of things.

My answer is quite obvious and it is self explanatory but the pick and chose mentioned above  in manner to get its opposite meaning is ridiculous

The prophet has been given knowledge by Allah swt and he has conveyed this knowledge to imams for the progeny of the prophet saww.the following verses of quran describe the knoelege of the prophet and given to iamams:

Qur’an states:

"Allah removes what He wills, and confirms what He wills, and with Him is the Essence of the Book.”(Qur’an 13:39).

يَمْحُو اللَّـهُ مَا يَشَاءُ وَيُثْبِتُ وَعِندَهُ أُمُّ الْكِتَابِ 

The Essence of the Book is the withheld knowledge (Ghayb) which is only possessed by Allah, and nobody possesses this database but Him. Also see the following verses:

He said: "The knowledge of that is with my Lord in a Record. My Lord neither errs nor forgets.”(Qur’an 20:52)

Now, let us look at the following verse:

"He possesses the Ghayb and He does not discloses His Ghayb to anyone except to such a Messenger as He is well-pleased with.”(Qur’an 72:26-27).

عَالِمُ الْغَيْبِ فَلَا يُظْهِرُ عَلَىٰ غَيْبِهِ أَحَدًا ﴿٢٦﴾إِلَّا مَنِ ارْتَضَىٰ مِن رَّسُولٍ...

From the above verse, it is evident that although Allah alone possesses the withheld knowledge (Ghayb), but He may disclose a news from it to Prophet Muhammad (S). On the other hand, Prophet Muhammad transferred whatever he was reached from the news of "Ghayb”to those who qualified,

"And he (Muhammad) is not niggardly the Knowledge of the Unseen.”(Qur’an 81:24).

وَمَا هُوَ عَلَى الْغَيْبِ بِضَنِينٍ﴿٢٤﴾ 

Therefore, if the news of Ghayb reached to the Prophet Muhammad (and consequently the Imams of Ahlul-Bayt), it is only because it was given to him by Allah. It is for this reason that according to Qur’an the messengers are all instructed to tell people that they do not possess the Knowledge of Ghayb of their own, for it is reached to them by Allah only as He wishes.

Abu Ja’far (as) said: "Verily, the Greatest Name of Allah consists of seventy three units (Harf). Asaf possessed only one unit of it, and when he spoke it (i.e., used it) the ground between him and the throne of Bilqis (the Queen of Sheba/Saba) folded/subsided so that he could take the throne with his hands, and then the ground opened out and returned to what it was originally in less than the twinkling of an eye.

We (Ahlul-Bayt) have seventy two units of the Greatest Name, and one unit remained with Allah which is kept exclusively in His knowledge of Unseen (Ilm al-Ghayb); and there is no efficacy or power except by Allah, the High, the Great.”(Usul al-Kafi, Kitab al-Hujjah, Tradition #613)

The Messenger of Allah (S) said: "I am the City of Knowledge, and ‘Ali is its Gate. So whoever intends to enter the City and the Wisdom, he should enter from its Gate."

إنا مدينة العِلْم و عليٌ بابها، فَمَنْ أرادَ المدينة و الحكمة فليأتِها من بابها.

References:

1. Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, pp 201,637

2. al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, pp 126-127,226, Chapter of the Virtues of ‘Ali, narrated on the authority of two reliable reporters: one, Ibn Abbas, whose report has been transmitted through two different but chain of authorities, and the other, Jabir Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari. He said this tradition is Authentic (Sahih).

3. Fadha’il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p635, Tradition #1081

4. Jami’ al-Saghir, by Jalaluddin al-Suyuti, v1, pp 107,374; Also in Jami’ al-Jawami’; Also in Tarikh al-Khulafaa, p171. He said this tradition is accepted (Hasan).

5. al-Kabir, by al-Tabarani (d. 360); Also in al-Awsat

6. Ma’rifah al-Sahaba, by al-Hafidh Abu Nu’aym al-Isbahani

7. Ihyaa al-Ululm, by al-Ghazzali

8. History of Ibn Kathir, v7, p358

..others

Edited by skyweb1987

4 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

Abu Ja’far (as) said: "Verily, the Greatest Name of Allah consists of seventy three units (Harf). Asaf possessed only one unit of it, and when he spoke it (i.e., used it) the ground between him and the throne of Bilqis (the Queen of Sheba/Saba) folded/subsided so that he could take the throne with his hands, and then the ground opened out and returned to what it was originally in less than the twinkling of an eye.

We (Ahlul-Bayt) have seventy two units of the Greatest Name, and one unit remained with Allah which is kept exclusively in His knowledge of Unseen (Ilm al-Ghayb); and there is no efficacy or power except by Allah, the High, the Great.”(Usul al-Kafi, Kitab al-Hujjah, Tradition #613)

So it means Ahlulbayt also used to recieve revelations from Allah swt on their own apart from the inherited knowledge from Prophet saww.

Because the inherited knowledge is not only limited to ahlebayt. The job of the prophet is to deliver the message to everyone. Hadith books of ahlul sunnah are full of such knowledge which is directly narrated from prophet saww. Read book Dalail Nabuwah of Imam Bayhaqi which contains thousands of prophecies from prophet saww as narrated by thousands of different companions. Source of the knowledge which was revealed to prophet saww is not only limited to ahlebayt, who according to shia concept also used to do taqqiyah. Thus so many reports from them are false due to just taqqiyah and many others are false due to other reasons related to rijal science and matching with the Quran criteria etc. And in the end we have few authentic reports from ahlebayt. Thats why about 3/4 ot Kitab Al-Kafi is weak/unreliable. Apply the same to other shia hadith books.

And thats the major difference between ahle tashayyu and ahlul sunnah. And its due to such reasons some people claimed divinity for ahlebayt but interestingly not for prophet saww himself. No one ever said our prophet is god.

According to ahle tashayyu: Out of 73 units of the Greatest Name of Allah ahlebayt possess 72 units. Only 1 is missing. This is how much there is difference between the knowledge of Allah and ahlebayt. Not a big difference.

According to ahlul sunnah: Knowledge of Allah swt is absolute and beyond limits, no one can even think about its depth. Forget about knowledge of Allah, no one can even match with the knowledge of prophets given to them by Allah via revelation. Prophet saww himself said,

"The Prophet (ﷺ) drew back the curtain when the people were in rows behind Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with him, and said: 'O people, there is nothing left of the features of Prophethood except a good dream that a Muslim sees or is seen by others for him.' Then he said: 'Verily, I have been forbidden from reciting the Qur'an when bowing or prostrating. As for bowing, glorify the Lord therein, and as for prostration, strive hard in supplication for it is more deserving of a response.'" Sunan an-Nasa'i 1045

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "A good dream (that comes true) of a righteous man is one of forty-six parts of prophetism." Sahih al-Bukhari 6983

1 hour ago, Ya Allah Madad said:

So it means Ahlulbayt also used to recieve revelations from Allah swt on their own apart from the inherited knowledge from Prophet saww.

Because the inherited knowledge is not only limited to ahlebayt. The job of the prophet is to deliver the message to everyone. Hadith books of ahlul sunnah are full of such knowledge which is directly narrated from prophet saww. Read book Dalail Nabuwah of Imam Bayhaqi which contains thousands of prophecies from prophet saww as narrated by thousands of different companions. Source of the knowledge which was revealed to prophet saww is not only limited to ahlebayt, who according to shia concept also used to do taqqiyah. Thus so many reports from them are false due to just taqqiyah and many others are false due to other reasons related to rijal science and matching with the Quran criteria etc. And in the end we have few authentic reports from ahlebayt. Thats why about 3/4 ot Kitab Al-Kafi is weak/unreliable. Apply the same to other shia hadith books.

And thats the major difference between ahle tashayyu and ahlul sunnah. And its due to such reasons some people claimed divinity for ahlebayt but interestingly not for prophet saww himself. No one ever said our prophet is god.

According to ahle tashayyu: Out of 73 units of the Greatest Name of Allah ahlebayt possess 72 units. Only 1 is missing. This is how much there is difference between the knowledge of Allah and ahlebayt. Not a big difference.

According to ahlul sunnah: Knowledge of Allah swt is absolute and beyond limits, no one can even think about its depth. Forget about knowledge of Allah, no one can even match with the knowledge of prophets given to them by Allah via revelation. Prophet saww himself said,

:bismillah:

It's funny how you try to portray that only Shia hadiths claim such big knowledge, but that is not the case:

حدثنا عبد اللَّهِ حدثني أبي ثنا بن أبي عدي عن حُمَيْدٍ عن أَنَسٍ قال قال رسول اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم لاَ تسألوني عن شيء إلى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ الا حَدَّثْتُكُمْ.

Holy prophet asws said: You cannot ask me anything till day of qayamat but that i will tell you about it

sheikh shoaib says about the narration

تعليق شعيب الأرنؤوط : إسناده صحيح على شرط الشيخين

chain is sahih on the condition of sheikhain (i.e on the condition of Saheeh Bukhari & Muslim)

sheikh albany also authenticates the narration

1 – لا تسألوني عن شيء إلى يوم القيامة إلا حدثتكم
الراوي: أنس بن مالك المحدث: الألباني – المصدر: صحيح الجامع – الصفحة أو الرقم: 7308
خلاصة حكم المحدث: صحيح

REFERENCE NO. 1

we find abdul razaq saying in his tafsir ul quran, 3/241

عن معمر عن وهب بن عبد الله عن أبي الطفيل قال شهدت عليا وهو يخطب وهو يقول سلوني فوالله لا تسألوني عن شيء يكون إلى يوم القيامة إلا حدثتكم به وسلوني عن كتاب الله فوالله ما من آية إلا وأنا أعلم بليل نزلت أم بنهار أم في سهل أم في جبل.

Ali said: “Ask me anytthing; by Allah! you cannot ask me about anything till day of qayamat but that i will tell you about it. Ask me about the Holy Book of Allah; by Allah! there is no verse in it but I know whether it was revealed in the night or during the day, on a plain field or in the steep mountains”

الصنعاني، ابوبكر عبد الرزاق بن همام (متوفاى211هـ)، تفسير القرآن، ج3، ص241، تحقيق: د. مصطفى مسلم محمد ، ناشر: مكتبة الرشد ـ الرياض، الطبعة: الأولى، 1410هـ

ANALYSIS OF CHAIN

1- mo’mar bin rashid 

ibn hajar writes

معمر بن راشد الأزدي مولاهم أبو عروة البصري نزيل اليمن ثقة ثبت فاضل
العسقلاني الشافعي، أحمد بن علي بن حجر ابوالفضل (متوفاى852هـ)، تقريب التهذيب، ج1 ص541، رقم: 6809، تحقيق: محمد عوامة، ناشر: دار الرشيد – سوريا، الطبعة: الأولى، 1406 – 1986.

so, he is thiqa

2- wahab in abdullah

ibn hajar writes

وهب بن عبد الله بن أبي دبي بموحدة مصغر الهنائي بضم الهاء ونون ومد الكوفي وقد ينسب لجده ثقة من الخامسة وروايته عن سلمان مرسلة عس

تقريب التهذيب ج1 ص585، رقم: 7478

3- aamir bin wathila

he is a companion of holy prophet

REFERENCE NO. 2

This reference i am taking from another source, and it is from ibn abdul bar’s book “jami’i bayan ul ilm wa fadlah”; vol 1, page 464, narration 726; and researcher of the book says

“chain is sahih; and all narrators are thiqa”

you can see scans here

This is the problem when you only look at hadiths in Saheeh Bukhari & Muslim (and compare only them to for example Al-Kafi) while there are many more other collections & hadiths in Sunni literature (among those are hadiths which contradicts the ones in for example Sahih Bukhari & Muslim). If one wants to make a true and honest comparison, then one should take all the Sunni hadiths (both weak and authentic ones, from whatever collection) and then compare it to Al-Kafi and the other Shi'i hadith collection.

Wsalam

Edited by The Straight Path

On 28/06/2017 at 10:05 AM, Ya Allah Madad said:

Al-islam.org is just doing pick and choose whatever suit them, they deliberately ignore other many clear things which are from most authentic and primary sources. THis shows their intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.

moving the goalposts. 

you asked:

On 28/06/2017 at 9:05 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

Show me verdicts of sunni scholars on their authenticity. Show me a single respected sunni rijal scholar who had said regarding such narrations that it means Imam Ali a.s. used to recieve revelations from Allah swt.

this is what i provided. theres plenty of sahih hadith in sunni books which say this. saying "oh ibn abbas said so too" is a pretty rubbish counter argument lol