Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hassan-

North America: Eid discussion

Rate this topic

The moon was sighted by naked-eye in California according to imam-us.org . Any city that shares night-time with Cali means there is a unity of Horizon, meaning Eid is tomorrow for NA. I'm not fasting anymore.

1 minute ago, gotmuffins! said:

The moon was sighted by naked-eye in California according to imam-us.org . Any city that shares night-time with Cali means there is a unity of Horizon, meaning Eid is tomorrow for NA. I'm not fasting anymore.

what is NA? and does NJ and NY count too?

Bismillah,

There are new updated reports that the moon was sighted during the sunset in California. According to Sayed Sistani's methodology (May Allah lengthen his life) for declaring eid, it has been declared eid for certain shared horizons today, Sunday the 25th. See I.M.A.M.'s statement here:  

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438-2/

There are also updates on AIM's website, a surrogate for Khamanaei marja3.

http://www.aimislam.com/eid-al-fitr-announcement-2017/ 

May Allah guide us.

Edited by Palabras

Ah ... finally everyone is on the same page ... :-) the visibility curve is what led to the AIM announcement - which was correct not for the entire US - but for that portion of North and South America that shared the same possibility of sighting the moon - which is the same for Brazil as it is for the southern portion of the US going up to central/northern california ! Which also corroborates the Sunni borthers reports of sighting in Hayward (San Francisco area ) ... all good that ends good have a happy eid everyone ! 

Edited by skylight2

13 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

Sunday, June 25, 2017, for all the areas under the horizon visibility curve from Orlando, FL, through New Orleans, LA, Phoenix, AZ, to Los Angeles, CA; including all areas in close proximity to this visibility curve.

Monday, June 26, 2017, for the rest of North America, thus completing the 30 days of the month of Ramadhan through Sunday June 24th.

11 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

It should, East Coast shares nighttime with California. The example in the Risalah is that New York shares Nighttime with London, therefore it would be 'Eid in both places if it was spotted in New York.

Just now, Hassan- said:

Sunday, June 25, 2017, for all the areas under the horizon visibility curve from Orlando, FL, through New Orleans, LA, Phoenix, AZ, to Los Angeles, CA; including all areas in close proximity to this visibility curve.

Monday, June 26, 2017, for the rest of North America, thus completing the 30 days of the month of Ramadhan through Sunday June 24th.

This is for Sistani, who follows the multiplicity of horizons model. Khamenei simply follows the Unity of Horizons (places that share nighttime).

5 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

This is for Sistani, who follows the multiplicity of horizons model. Khamenei simply follows the Unity of Horizons (places that share nighttime).

But no moon was seen in the horizon of north USA or Canada, so nothing changes. California doesn't share the same horizon.

2 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

But no moon was seen in the horizon of north USA or Canada, so nothing changes. California doesn't share the same horizon.

Surrogates for Imam Khamanaei declare today Eid for North and South America. 

Just now, Hassan- said:

These guys are highly unreliable and scholars here in Canada have criticized them. AIM are defining Imam Khamenei's fatwa wrong. 

This is unfortunate. My mosque just declared today is Eid for us here locally. We are in South Texas. 

May Allah guide us. 

Lol... I just got a call, and Shiekh Aseer (the head office of Imam Khamenei) of North America just completely changed their decision, and declared today (sunday) to be Eid. It was declared to be Monday all this time until just right now. The scholars must have been debating all night about this and decided to change there minds. Sayed Sistani however is still Monday. Can a mod please close this topic.

Edited by Hassan-

49 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Lol... I just got a call, and Shiekh Aseer (the head office of Imam Khamenei) of North America just completely changed their decision, and declared today (sunday) to be Eid. It was declared to be Monday all this time until just right now. The scholars must have been debating all night about this and decided to change there minds. Sayed Sistani however is still Monday. Can a mod please close this topic.

Alhamdulillah, I'm in the clear! I didn't fast today as a follower of Khamenei.

Isn't it haram to fast on Eid? And if you don't know the fast is still required and so do not fast, I think it isn't a sin but the fast must be made up? So to err on the side of caution would be to consider today as Eid unless there is information to the contrary? Right? 

1 hour ago, notme said:

Isn't it haram to fast on Eid? And if you don't know the fast is still required and so do not fast, I think it isn't a sin but the fast must be made up? So to err on the side of caution would be to consider today as Eid unless there is information to the contrary? Right? 

It's not haram, it's mukruh.

12 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

It's not haram, it's mukruh.

So given the difficulty of ascertaining the month based on current jurisprudence, which would be the cautious decision: to fast even if it might be Eid, or to feast and pray even though it might still be Ramadan?

I feel like it makes the most sense to celebrate with your local community, but I've never had a local Shia community so for me that's purely hypothetical. 

Just now, notme said:

So given the difficulty of ascertaining the month based on current jurisprudence, which would be the cautious decision: to fast even if it might be Eid, or to feast and pray even though it might still be Ramadan?

I feel like it makes the most sense to celebrate with your local community, but I've never had a local Shia community so for me that's purely hypothetical. 

The most logical thing to do is to travel and break your fast. That way if it is Ramadan that day than you have already broken your fast by travelling which is permissible, and if it isn't Ramadan than you can celebrate and feast with your local community.

Brother @Hassan-, can I say I told you so? :grin:

Anyways, I appreciate the information you brought to the table last night. Ultimately, we were both sincerely trying to find the correct information. I'm glad the confusion got cleared up this morning.

1 minute ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Brother @Hassan-, can I say I told you so? :grin:

Anyways, I appreciate the information you brought to the table last night. Ultimately, we were both sincerely trying to find the correct information. I'm glad the confusion got cleared up this morning.

The scholars confused all the Shi'as here in North America, some said Sunday, others said Monday, than they change there minds on the day of Eid and now they all say Sunday. Just so confusing, but yes I'm glad its cleared up now, Eid Mubarak!

8 hours ago, Al Hadi said:

NA is the abbreviation for North America (US and Canada). NJ and NY are part of NA. 

Salam 3alaykum i am currently still fasting i follow sayed il qa2ed khamenaie with my sources i had found out eid is monday june 26 2017 accordin to Aim they are saying eid is today i am currently is USA michigan which is north america i would like to get it clearified if i should break my fast or not thank you salam 

Eid Mubarak all ... I think this was an issue of different scholars interpreting the fatawa on moonsighting differently, and also about thinking in terms of political entities (i.e. countries) when it comes to the sighting... The fatawa are not really based on when a certain country is to begin a new month / eid, but rather on geographical regions. Thus it is perfectly reasonable to assume that geographically vast countries such as US and Canada will have multiple geographical regions (three or four time zones for one thing...) . And thus there will be on occasion multiple eid days in one such country.  Imam Khamenei had provided answers to much of the issues that caused the confusion ... i.e. that the moon should be sighted based on possibility of sighting the moon ... Thus Brazil would count for the entire southern region of the US - going up to central/northern california. However, since the moon was also sighted in regions that were even further outside of that possibility ... most of the US would celebrate Eid today... 

20 minutes ago, Hassanehn said:

Salam 3alaykum i am currently still fasting i follow sayed il qa2ed khamenaie with my sources i had found out eid is monday june 26 2017 accordin to Aim they are saying eid is today i am currently is USA michigan which is north america i would like to get it clearified if i should break my fast or not thank you salam 

If you live in Michigan, you can break your fast brother. The office of Imam Khamenei announced that today is Eid for North America and South America.

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

now they all say Sunday. Just so confusing, but yes I'm glad its cleared up now, Eid Mubarak!

A member is asking by PM if today is Eid in Canada. By "all" do you mean Ayatuallh Sistani as well? 

Just now, Hameedeh said:

A member is asking by PM if today is Eid in Canada. By "all" do you mean Ayatuallh Sistani as well? 

If they are a follower of Khamenei, it could be 'Eid in Canada.

Here is the message from Shaykh Kassim, the Supreme Leader's representative:

It says Sunday is 'Eid  from Argentina to junoob Canada (Southern Canada). 

There are conflicting narratives everywhere, and that is part of the problem.

khamenei3.jpg

1 minute ago, gotmuffins! said:

If they are a follower of Khamenei, it could be 'Eid in Canada.

He follows Ayatullah Sistani. I don't know where he lives. By southern Canada what cities do you mean?

Just now, Hameedeh said:

He follows Ayatullah Sistani

It is definitely not 'Eid for Sistani in Canada, only certain for southern localities in the United States. (Florida, Texas, Arizona, SoCal, etc.)

I don't know what cities the Shaykh means when he says Southern Canada, he doesn't specify. Sorry :(