Hassan-

North America: Eid discussion

2 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

I really don't see how listing all of these locations, without specifying the methodology used to arrive at the conclusion, has any value.

Most of us here are actually trying to ascertain when Eid is according to our marja', not having a competition to see who can post the most links.

I already said that according to Imam Khamenei, you must see the moon with your naked eye or a telescope. In Toronto it was not seen. Do you know any reliable person that has seen it with their eyes or telescope where you live? Because according to reliable people I heard, they contacted various scholars from different cities and they also said they could not see the moon with their eyes or telescope.

2 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

I already said that according to Imam Khamenei, you must see the moon with your naked eye or a telescope. In Toronto it was not seen. Do you know any reliable person that has seen it with their eyes or telescope where you live? Because according to reliable people I heard, they contacted various scholars from different cities and they also said they could not see the moon with their eyes or telescope.

I know that reliable people have decided to celebrate Eid on a certain day according to a certain methodology. I'm sure they know what the requirements are of that methodology.

And I believe that an announcement confirming Eid should trump an announcement saying that people had not been able to see the moon in a particular vicinity. Ultimately, this is all the information I can act upon in this confusion.

Just now, Shaykh Patience101 said:

I know that reliable people have decided to celebrate Eid on a certain day according to a certain methodology. I'm sure they know what the requirements are of that methodology.

And I believe that an announcement confirming Eid should trump an announcement saying that people had not been able to see the moon in a particular vicinity. Ultimately, this is all the information I can act upon in this confusion.

Khamenei's Risalah I think would apply here:

Q 837: If the Islamic scholars of a city differ regarding the new crescent and one considers all of them to be just
and precise in their investigations, what is his duty?
A: If the difference between the two testimonies leads to contradiction, in the sense that one of them claims the
new crescent has been substantiated and the other claims the opposite, one’s duty is to neglect both of them and act
according to aṣl. However, if the first group testifies to the sighting of the new crescent, but the second group does
not claim to have seen it, others should accept the view of the first group — if they are just — and break their fasts.
The same rule applies when the authorized religious authority issues a decree announcing substantiation of the new crescent.

2 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Khamenei's Risalah I think would apply here:

Q 837: If the Islamic scholars of a city differ regarding the new crescent and one considers all of them to be just
and precise in their investigations, what is his duty?
A: If the difference between the two testimonies leads to contradiction, in the sense that one of them claims the
new crescent has been substantiated and the other claims the opposite, one’s duty is to neglect both of them and act
according to aṣl. However, if the first group testifies to the sighting of the new crescent, but the second group does
not claim to have seen it, others should accept the view of the first group — if they are just — and break their fasts.
The same rule applies when the authorized religious authority issues a decree announcing substantiation of the new crescent.

Now, I can only assume that the groups saying that Eid is Sunday in North America have actually seen it with telescopes.

14 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Now, I can only assume that the groups saying that Eid is Sunday in North America have actually seen it with telescopes.

Brother do you live in Ottawa?

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
يعلن مركز أهل البيت عليهم السلام 
عن إقامة صلاة العيد غدا  الساعة التاسعة والنصف(200Baribeau) لمقلدي المراجع التي تعتمد على وحدة الأفق .
السيد الخوئي والسيد محمد حسين فضل الله والسيد الحائري.
وبحسب المبنى الفقهي للسيد علي الخامنئي والسيد السيستاني 
لم يثبت حتى الساعة هلال شهر شوال
وعليه يكون يوم غد الأحد المتمم لشهر رمضان المبارك وتقام يوم الاثنين صلاة عيد الفطر المبارك الساعة التاسعة صباحا.
وكل عام وأنتم بخير

Thats the letter from ottawa centre. Eid for sistani and khamenei is monday.

I know for a fact that eid for Toronto, Ottawa and cities with the same horizon is on Monday for Imam Khamenei and Sistani. If anyone living in those areas think it's Sunday, than you are mistaken.

http://www.aimislam.com/eid-al-fitr-announcement-2017/

Followers of Ayatollah Sayed Khoei in north America will celebrate Eid on Sunday June 25 since moon sighting is confirmed in Brazil whis has same time line as North America. According to Ayatollah Sayed Khoei Fatwa that countries with same time line can celebrate Eid at the same time if sighting is confirmed in any country or city that have same time line

36 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Here is what Muslim Congress is saying: (al-Wali al-Faqeeh is referring to Ayat. Khamenei.

I've never been more confused about 'eid. I can't sleep.

khamenei.jpg

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON! ITS already fajr should I eat or fast out of precaution?

7 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

I'm fasting today until I discover otherwise. I think Muslim Congress just copied that wonky proclamation from AIM.

16 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON! ITS already fajr should I eat or fast out of precaution?

Representative of Imam Khamenei confirming monday:

gphduk2.jpg

2 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Jaffari following a marja' doesn't mean anything. They clearly stated that they did not see the moon.

As for Al-Huda, they didn't see the moon either with there telescopes.

I was just at Al-Huda and verbally everyone at the mosque was saying eid is on Sunday. 

Just now, Inner Peace said:

I was just at Al-Huda and verbally everyone at the mosque was saying eid is on Sunday. 

That's because half the people their follow ayatollah Fadlallah, who announced eid on Sunday.

This is Al-Huda's official announcement http://www.icontact-archive.com/f2No0DBcQUI8lbNc1Fn0dCi_Ob9EJxip?w=2

May I add just my personal experience of what happened here in Paris France.

We all started Ramadan in the same day of May 27, because the moon could be seen on almost all parts of the world on that friday May 26 - whether by calculation with shared horizons, by optical aid or by naked eye. Exception would be Russia, North Canada and some parts of Asia.

1438rmd_5-26-2017.gif

For Shawal it was different since as of saturday, the area where moon could be seen with otptical aid only stopped in Northern Africa. 

For partisans of Sayed Khamenei, no moon above us = no eid. Same for Sayed Sistani. Eid will be monday fo them inchaAllah.

For Sayed Fadlallah, since we share horizon - a part of the night - with Northern Africa, we are having eid with them today.

Therefore some will have 29 days, and some 30 days. 

Just matter of ijtihad, no big issue. 

IMG_20170625_102140.png

10 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Confirming Monday for London. Third to last line, Markaz Imam Khu'i London

BUt is he confirming for North America too. Wow AIM pretty much messed up. I told my friend to go to it for eid announcement MAAaan.

The moon was sighted by naked-eye in California according to imam-us.org . Any city that shares night-time with Cali means there is a unity of Horizon, meaning Eid is tomorrow for NA. I'm not fasting anymore.

1 minute ago, gotmuffins! said:

The moon was sighted by naked-eye in California according to imam-us.org . Any city that shares night-time with Cali means there is a unity of Horizon, meaning Eid is tomorrow for NA. I'm not fasting anymore.

what is NA? and does NJ and NY count too?

Bismillah,

There are new updated reports that the moon was sighted during the sunset in California. According to Sayed Sistani's methodology (May Allah lengthen his life) for declaring eid, it has been declared eid for certain shared horizons today, Sunday the 25th. See I.M.A.M.'s statement here:  

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438-2/

There are also updates on AIM's website, a surrogate for Khamanaei marja3.

http://www.aimislam.com/eid-al-fitr-announcement-2017/ 

May Allah guide us.

Edited by Palabras

Ah ... finally everyone is on the same page ... :-) the visibility curve is what led to the AIM announcement - which was correct not for the entire US - but for that portion of North and South America that shared the same possibility of sighting the moon - which is the same for Brazil as it is for the southern portion of the US going up to central/northern california ! Which also corroborates the Sunni borthers reports of sighting in Hayward (San Francisco area ) ... all good that ends good have a happy eid everyone ! 

Edited by skylight2