Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Hadi

One Eid This Year for North and South America

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Yeah I saw that, but what confuses me is how weird that you can see it in Virginia, but other states near Virginia and America in general cannot be seen.

The 'binocular only' sighting must be the reason that I.M.A.M. organization disregarded the Virginia report. 

The crescent was seen in a variety of different state ... the sunni site info i posted, i consider them to be reliable - they have no problem going against other Sunnis -and have very strict standards... they also have close affiliation with a masjid that often has unity programs with Shi'as (including Al Quds day) ... so I trust them. They have said that the crescent was seen in Miami, and in northern california - this corresponds correctly with the visibility map, that the moon could be seen with optical aid. 

All of the USA and most Canadian cities are within the area where it is visible with optical aid. Ayatullah Khamenei allows sighting with optical aid, so for his followers the sighting in Virginia does apply to most of North America as well.

Ayatullah Sistani does not allow sighting with optical aid, so for his followers the sighting in Virginia is disregarded.

7 minutes ago, Salaam1 said:

All of the USA and most Canadian cities are within the area where it is visible with optical aid. Ayatullah Khamenei allows sighting with optical aid, so for his followers the sighting in Virginia does apply to most of North America as well.

Ayatullah Sistani does not allow sighting with optical aid, so for his followers the sighting in Virginia is disregarded.

It is not visible with optical aid in Toronto, Ottawa and surrounding cities.

5 minutes ago, vsg said:

yes, but if it is seen in Virginia, based on Ayatullah Khamenei's rulling it will be eid in Toronto as well, would it not ?

No Because Virginia is too far away, and isn't part of the same horizon.

From Imams.us, the official website of Sayyid Sistani for his followers in North America:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces, based on reports received much later during the night, that the crescent moon was sighted by the naked eye during the sunset of Saturday, June 24, 2017 in Southern California. Based on this sighting, and the opinion of Sayyid Sistani regarding Multiplicity of Horizons, the first day of the month of Shawwal, 1438 A.H (Eid al-Fitr) will be as follows:

Sunday, June 25, 2017, for all the areas under the horizon visibility curve from Orlando, FL, through New Orleans, LA, Phoenix, AZ, to Los Angeles, CA; including all areas in close proximity to this visibility curve.

Monday, June 26, 2017, for the rest of North America, thus completing the 30 days of the month of Ramadhan through Sunday June 24th.

We ask Allah, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p)

http://www.imams.us/news/the-crescent-moon-of-the-month-of-shawwal-1438-a-h/

From what I was told regarding fatwa of Sayyid Sistani(ha), the basically means Eid is today, Sunday June 25 for South America and Southern 1/2 of the US (areas close to proximity curve), and Monday for Northern 1/2 of US and Canada. 

There you go... Happy Eid to almost everyone in US  and South America. Sorry Northerners and Canadians, you'll have to fast one more day. May Allah(s.w.a) reward you and reward All our sincere ulema and particularly Ayatullah Al Uthama Sayyid Ali Al Sistani, may Allah(s.w.a) bless him and give him long life and make his grave fragrant. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

2 hours ago, Hassan- said:

It is not visible with optical aid in Toronto, Ottawa and surrounding cities.

38 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

No Because Virginia is too far away, and isn't part of the same horizon.

interesting, i always thought anything on east cost, would be considered to share the same horizon,(speciay the North East) can you please provide me with a more technical detail on what will be considered as "sharing the horizon" ? WS

35 minutes ago, vsg said:

interesting, i always thought anything on east cost, would be considered to share the same horizon,(speciay the North East) can you please provide me with a more technical detail on what will be considered as "sharing the horizon" ? WS

Well basically a horizon is the line at which the earth's surface and the sky appear to meet. The issue here is the sighting report in Virginia is not hujjah because no one can confirm it other than that person who saw it. Every other city near Virginia couldn't see it, southern Canada couldn't see it either, so it makes the Virginia sighting report less reliable. Also the Shi'a masjid in Virginia is celebrating Eid on Monday.

Edited by Hassan-

9 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Yeah I saw that, but what confuses me is how weird that you can see it in Virginia, but other states near Virginia and America in general cannot be seen.

Weather, haze, light pollution will make a difference. The crescent is quite small and near the horizon. This man in Blacksburg has been sighting the moon every month for 10+ years, if I'm not mistaken. I trust his judgement. 

It was cloudy here. Nothing was visible. 

8 hours ago, Al Hadi said:

I want to know though if it is seen in Virginia, does that count for new York and new jersey? I don't think so right?

Blacksburg VA is in the southwest part of the state, near North Carolina and Tennessee.  It isn't in the same horizon as New York and New Jersey. 

Blacksburg is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and has generally low pollution/dust/haze. Weather there is often rainy, but when it's not raining skies tend to quickly and completely clear. (It's a beautiful town.)

Eid Mubarak to all who are celebrating today and early Eid Mubarak to those who will be celebrating tomorrow!