Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Hadi

One Eid This Year for North and South America

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

No this is wrong. The moon sighting in brazil does not confirm it for North America. People must see the moon according to their area, not according to the time zones. Look at the fatwas of Sistani and Khamenei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

Eid will most likely be on Monday for North America, unless we miraculously see the moon tonight.

North America, including Canada should be able to see the moon with a telescope. A moon sighting does not need to be with the naked eye without an instrument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of reports of sightings in Florida and elsewhere mostly from Sunnis ... nothing impossible or miraculous about seeing the hilal in north america - just had to be "perfect conditions" i.e. no clouds/ fog etc. on the horizon etc. ... there is a big wide swat of southern US where the moon could be seen under those conditions, as well as in large parts of Mexico, Central and South America.  Eid Mubarak 

Edited by skylight2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, blazini said:

North America, including Canada should be able to see the moon with a telescope. A moon sighting does not need to be with the naked eye without an instrument. 

Sayed Sistani says you are not allowed to use any telescope. And even with a telescope, it cannot be seen here in Toronto or the surrounding area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hassan- said:

No this is wrong. The moon sighting in brazil does not confirm it for North America. People must see the moon according to their area, not according to the time zones. Look at the fatwas of Sistani and Khamenei.

I thought it was a little fishy. I'll wait and see as to what some Floridian Shi'a have to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We received an email from I.M.A.M. organization that the moon was not seen in any region of North America tonight. SUNDAY is the 30th day of the Holy Month of Ramadan in the US and Canada. Monday, June 26th, 2017, will be the first day of the month of Shawwal, 1438 A.H. for the entire region of North America.

The Crescent Committee

  • Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
  • Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
  • Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
  • Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
  • Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438/

For those who know Arabic:

http://www.imams.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/1438_Shawal_Arb-1.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

We received an email from I.M.A.M. organization that the moon was not seen in any region of North America tonight. SUNDAY is the 30th day of the Holy Month of Ramadan in the US and Canada. Monday, June 26th, 2017, will be the first day of the month of Shawwal, 1438 A.H. for the entire region of North America.

For those who know Arabic:

http://www.imams.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/1438_Shawal_Arb-1.pdf

Just beat me to it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

:)

Brother, I remember a few years ago there was another announcement made very late at night, because people in Southern California delayed in reporting to The Crescent Committee that they saw the moon. If you receive an email that overrides their earlier announcement about Eid, please inform us here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

Sayed Sistani says you are not allowed to use any telescope. And even with a telescope, it cannot be seen here in Toronto or the surrounding area.

According to moonsighting.com, the moon is visible with an optical aid in southern Canada including Toronto.

6 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Salaam. Does anyone have info regarding 1st Shawwal  for followers of Ayat. Khamenei in North America? I believe the websites above (like Imam-us) are representatives of Ayat. Sistani. Thanks in advance.

×2

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Salaam. Does anyone have info regarding 1st Shawwal  for followers of Ayat. Khamenei in North America? I believe the websites above (like Imam-us) are representatives of Ayat. Sistani. Thanks in advance.

Salam. I also follow Ayatullah Khamenei. I was only reporting above that Sunday is the 30th day of fasting according to I.M.A.M. organization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam. I also follow Ayatullah Khamenei. I was only reporting above that Sunday is the 30th day of fasting according to I.M.A.M. organization. 

Wa alaikum Salaam. Thanks! Now I have no idea what to do :( I think I should fast tomorrow until I find any evidence to the contrary. I have no idea what entities represent Ayatollah Sayed Ali Khamenei in America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sources among followers of Ayatullah Khamenei in Toronto are telling me now that they are celebrating Eid tomorrow (Sunday).

Astronomical data seems to suggest this also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hassan- said:

No this is wrong. The moon sighting in brazil does not confirm it for North America. People must see the moon according to their area, not according to the time zones. Look at the fatwas of Sistani and Khamenei.

AIM knows of the opinions of imam Khamenei organization to my knowledge, I would say sunday is eid al Fitr for Khamenei(ha) inshallah.

Edited by Al Hadi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Al Hadi said:

AIM knows of the opinions of imam Khamenei organization to my knowledge, I would say sunday is eid al Fitr for Khamenei(ha) inshallah.

No it is Monday 100%, go ask any ulama representing Imam Khamenei in North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because a local mosque couldn't see the moon with binoculars doesn't mean that Eid is on Monday 100%. Maybe for the followers of Ayatullah Sistani, but you can't say that for most everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al Hadi said:

Bro the link at AIM says in Canada if you follow sayed Sistani it is on Monday to my kbowledge. But America is on Sunday I think.

Ayat. Sistani followers in USA are definitely Monday, AIM is wrong in that regard, see his main representative body in USA here:

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438/

I just need to know what Ayat. Khamenei followers should do :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Just because a local mosque couldn't see the moon with binoculars doesn't mean that Eid is on Monday 100%. Maybe for the followers of Ayatullah Sistani, but you can't say that for most everyone else.

Multiple people on the North American Hilal committe reported that they could not sight the moon. This is coming from various states in the U.S. This is from the Shi'a I.M.A.M. organization. Other reports from moonsighting.com show that two reports explain that you cannot see the moon with the naked eye. Another report shows that you can only see it with an optical aid. 

I think it comes down to whether your marja'3 allows for optical aid or not. If all else fails, follow your local masjid. Mine has declared that Monday is Eid. 

May Allah guide us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Ayat. Sistani followers in USA are definitely Monday, AIM is wrong in that regard, see his main representative body in USA here:

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438/

I just need to know what Ayat. Khamenei followers should do :D

here you go http://www.icontact-archive.com/f2No0DBcQUI8lbNc1Fn0dCi_Ob9EJxip?w=2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khamenei on Optical Aids pg 143:

Q 831: Is the sighting of the new crescent through binoculars, telescope, or the like sufficient?
A: The sighting of the new crescent with these instruments is also reliable and its ruling does not differ from that of
the naked eye since the standard is to say it has been seen by eyes. However, computerized photographing of the
crescent moon or the like which cannot be clearly categorized as sighting is problematic.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gotmuffins! said:

Khamenei on Optical Aids pg 143:

Q 831: Is the sighting of the new crescent through binoculars, telescope, or the like sufficient?
A: The sighting of the new crescent with these instruments is also reliable and its ruling does not differ from that of
the naked eye since the standard is to say it has been seen by eyes. However, computerized photographing of the
crescent moon or the like which cannot be clearly categorized as sighting is problematic.
 

It definitely is a frustrating process because of how much confusion determining Eid creates.

I follow Sayed Ali Khamenei, and according to the astrological data, it should be fairly easy to spot a moon with a telescope/optical aid. 

Secondly, how is it possible to publicly state that Eid is not until Monday when there is still more time in a day to declare the non-possibility of a sighting?

1438shw_6-24-2017.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blazini said:

how is it possible to publicly state that Eid is not until Monday when there is still more time in a day to declare the non-possibility of a sighting?

After sunset on Saturday, the moon also set very early, which means it was very low close to the horizon, perhaps blocked by trees or houses. If people were looking up high in the sky above trees and buildings they were not going to see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from a Sunni site - they are strict in their confirmation process ... and use the naked eye ruling ... 

"Crescent.w.a.t.c.h has received and confirmed reliable reports that the new crescent moon of Shawwal has been sighted by naked eye on the evening of Saturday, June 24th by moon-sighters in Chile (Iquique), Guyana, Miami, and in Hayward (San Francisco Bay Area).

This marks the start of the month of Shawwal, and we will be celebrating Eid al-Fitr on Sunday, June 25th, insha'Allah.

We wish everyone in all places at all times a blessed Eid Mubarak. May Allah accept your fast and all your efforts during Ramadan.

 * Crescent.w.a.t.c.h.org adheres to the traditional principle that Islamic lunar months begin and end based on the confirmed naked eye sighting of the new crescent moon."

Last Updated: June 24, 2017  23:47 MDT 
Posted: June 24, 2017  23:46 MDT
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, blazini said:

it should be fairly easy to spot a moon with a telescope/optical aid.

Do you know any reliable people that told you they spotted the moon with a telescope in North America? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Do you know any reliable people that told you they spotted the moon with a telescope in North America? 

The man in Virginia said he and his friend both saw it. He has been sighting the crescent moon for years, not just in the Holy Month of Ramadan but for other months as well, for moonsighting.com website.

crescent.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

The man in Virginia said he and his friend both saw it. He has been sighting the crescent moon for years, not just in the Holy Month of Ramadan but for other months as well, for moonsighting.com website.

crescent.jpg

Yeah I saw that, but what confuses me is how weird that you can see it in Virginia, but other states near Virginia and America in general cannot be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...