Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
MMMMM

Eid Ul Fitr date for shias?

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, MMMMM said:

I am new muslim and would like to know when is Eid Ul Fitr for shias this year?

It's going to depend on where you are. I advise asking your local community. 

37 minutes ago, MMMMM said:

In Dubai officially it is today on 25 of June, but i have heard that its different for sunni and shias, is it true?

The majority of Shia scholars require that the moon is actually sighted in any particular location. If it corresponds to Sunni calculations it will be the same. If the moon isn't seen when Sunni calculations predict visibility, it will be different, but all Islamic months are 29 or 30 days. 

The difference is not a Sunni / Shia difference exactly. I believe all Sunni and some Shia scholars believe that you can use an optical  / scientific aid (such as telescope, satellite, or astronomical calculations) to 'see' the moon for the new lunar month. Some Shia scholars believe that the above are not acceptable and that the moon must be seen with the naked eye by a number of just witnesses (not sure the number but I think its 4) in order for it to be Eid.

About a quarter century ago, l was in Asia. Eid was sighted in Malaysia because the weather was so bad in Korea no one could see the Moon.

A few years later, l read that this had set-off a debate --but l do not know what the nuances were except that geographical proximity was also discussed.

10 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

Eid Al Fitr Announcement for North and South America. LATEST

http://www.aimislam.com/eid-al-fitr-announcement-2017/

It always bothers me how different scholars declare different days to be the eid.

I'm in Canada. My local masjid follows Sistani, I believe. 

So, for Khomeini, Khamenei, and Kheoi eid is on Sunday in North and South America. Even for Sistani, it's eid in North and South America... Except Canada. 

1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

1 hour ago, SoRoUsH said:

It always bothers me how different scholars declare different days to be the eid.

So, for Khomeini, Khamenei, and Kheoi eid is on Sunday in North and South America. Even for Sistani, it's eid in North and South America... Except Canada. 

How can that be right when most parts of US can't see the moon according to that map..?

Edited by Fuan

I have no idea how AIM even announced anything on behalf of Sayed Ali Khamenei and Sayed Ali Sistani - specifically for Canada. The representative for Sistani in the Toronto area still has not announced anything.

Predictions of the Crescent Moon of Shawwal 1438 AH

A number of the providers of astronomical data expect a low possibility of sighting the crescent moon for the month of Shawwal 1438 on Saturday at sunset on the 24th of June, 2017 in southern parts of the United States whose visibility curve stretches from Miami, FL, through San Antonio, TX, to San Diego, CA. Based on this information, and the opinion of Sayyid Sistani regarding Multiplicity of Horizons, the possibility of Eid al-Fitr will be as follows:

• If the sighting of the crescent moon does NOT occur in accordance with the Islamic rulings, as described above, at the sunset of Saturday, June 24th, then the first day of Shawwal (Eid al-Fitr) will be Monday, June 26, 2017 for the entire North American region.
  • If the sighting of the crescent moon occurs in accordance with the Islamic rulings, as described above, at the sunset of Saturday, June 24th, then the first day of Shawwal (Eid al-Fitr) will be Sunday, June 25, 2017 for all the areas under the horizon visibility curve from Orlando, FL, through New Orleans, LA, Phoenix, AZ, to Los Angeles, CA; including all areas in close proximity to this visibility curve. The rest of the North American region will be completing the 30 days of the month of Ramadhan through Sunday June 24th, making Eid al-Fitr Monday, June 26, 2017, by the grace of the Almighty.

https://www.imam-us.org/predicting-eid-tolerance/

South america:

If I'm not mistaken the moon sighting has to be from the same horizon for it to be applicable to North America. Someone seeing the moon in Chile or Brazil is not comformation. Please wait for the representatives of the maraja to make an announcement. Aimislam has no authority over this matter. 

The Crescent Moon of the Month of Shawwal, 1438 A.H.

إضغط هنا لملاحظة بيان هلال شهر شوال

To the respected believers in North America,

Peace be upon you.

The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that Sunday, June 25th, 2017, will be the last day of the Holy Month of Ramadhan and that Monday, June 26th, 2017, will be the first day of the month of Shawwal, 1438 A.H. for the entire region of North America.

This determination is based on the fact that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Saturday, June 24th, 2016, in any region of North America.

We ask Allah, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).

IMPORTANT ISLAMIC EVENTS IN THIS MONTH:

1 Shawwal  (June 26)   Eid al-Fitr
 8 Shawwal  (July 3)   Destruction of al-Baqi’, 1344 AH
 25 Shawwal  (July 20)   Martyrdom of Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (p), 148 AH

THE CRESCENT COMMITTEE

• Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
  • Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
  • Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
  • Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
  • Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.

https://www.imam-us.org/crescent-moon-month-shawwal-1438/

About a quarter century ago, l was in Asia. Eid was sighted in Malaysia because the weather was so bad in Korea no one could see the Moon.

A few years later, l read that this had set-off a debate --but l do not know what the nuances were except that geographical proximity was also discussed.

Addition: l did some secular research. Quotes follow

3 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

3 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

2 hours ago, Fuan said:

How can that be right when most parts of US can't see the moon according to that map..?

To summarize what l found, the Moon is 4% Visibility for the Eastern/Midwestern US. BUT Moon Rise  is 08:00 EDT.   Sunrise is 06:13. For Sunday. Ref: Farmer's Almanac.

Confusing, isn't it. Since most authorities, including lSNA say it is Sunday, then l figure this is what to do. Kinda uncomfortable, isn't it?

Edited by hasanhh

12 hours ago, Fuan said:

The map shows visible with good conditions and possibly optical aid for most of North America. Don't let it get to you, just do what you think is right, follow your local community or your marja. I used to get worked up over this issue, but then I realized getting upset only made it worse.