Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muhajir

One of the best islamic scholars in America

Rate this topic

Here is his website http://www.moulananabirazaabidi.com/

he is one of the sheikhs I to taqlid of and I am different than many of you because I have several marja that I do taqlid of because I believe that is the higher level and that is how the stronger muslims do it in my opinion. I have been asking him to come to shiachat and make a page but he said he wont until some of our brothers and sister here read his article on his website. I personally have read around 2000-3000 + pages of books he has recommended me and he is a good friend of mine.  He is also the Imam of the biggest masjid in the bay area and is well respected by the shia, sunni, and non muslims here.

here is his twitter page https://twitter.com/MoulanaNabiRaza and I encourage brothers and sisters to follow him on there and inshallah he might just come and make a page here hopefully. he is also a very good faqih and can answer any question many of you have by email and I encourage you brothers and sisters who live in the west to take your fatwas from scholars who live in the west and not from scholars who are oversees.

Here is an example of one of his terrific article

Ending isolation and loneliness is imperative if we are to overcome the epidemic of depression in our community.

By Dr. Nabi Raza Abidi

We live in times where many families do not eat together. Children spend their time watching TV, playing video games and texting their friends from the privacy of their bedrooms. Adults take buses or walk the streets texting or talking on their phones. We see people sitting in coffee shops with their friends while talking to someone else on the smartphone. Although we live together, many of us live together in isolation. As John Taylor Gatto once said, thanks to the privatization of the individual, traditional communities have transformed into networks of of people” or networks of isolated individuals.

Religious life is not an exception. Many of our spiritual lives are lived in isolation. Duas are reserved for financial and health problems, or at the most, a family member who is in some kind of trouble. Yet prayers for the success of the community, neighbors and people whom are unrelated to us can be rare. Prayers or salat (namaz) are also privatized. Some purposefully avoid the Mosque and congressional prayers most of the year thus eroding the sense of a Muslim community.

Our youth and indeed adults need to learn the importance of speaking directly with their friends and family instead of texting them most of the time. Children should be taken out on the weekends and join other families so they can connect. Grandparents should be taken on picnics where they can share the stories of their youth to today’s youth. Joining SABA Islamic center camps or outdoor annual events are not enough, they are the first step.

Isolation is a depressing threat to our way of life. Many younger people have lost their communication skills or are disconnected from the memories of the older generation, especially that of their grandparents. But this need not be. It takes effort and commitment to build family and community. It also takes fighting destructive habits. Perhaps a good exercise is to turn off gadgets and TVs for 2 hours a night where families can spend quality time together. Maybe play with a puzzle, or share their stories, or even invite extended family over. The answer to loneliness and depression is to rebuild human relationships, by transforming networks of isolated individuals into communities again.

Waʿlaikum as-Salam,
Yours Faithfully
Nabi Raza Abidi
Resident Imam of the SABA Islamic Center
San Jose, California

3 hours ago, Al Hadi said:

I don't think he is  a marja to do taqleed too?

Thats the issue I wanted to stress. Any shia scholar who has like a phd and is an Imam of a masjid can be a marja to do taqlid of. The smart thing to do is have like one of the big time marjas such as Ayatollah Khameni who is your main marja of taqlid but you should also have a local imam who lives near you that you make taqlid of and if a situation arises where the higher ranked marja overides the lower ranked than you follow the higher ranked one such as Ayatollah Khameni or Sistani but when they are not around you should make taqlid of one of your local imams. I personally have like 10-20 marjas which is very hard and complicated to do unless you have been through a lot of shariah studies but for most people if they have two marjas in the manner I explained before than that is what higher level elite muslims do and it is one step towards growth in your spiritual path in my opinion.... Most scholars  and high level muslims actually have several marjas btw....

7 hours ago, Muhajir said:

inshallah I think we should all try to get the local english speaking scholars on here lol lets all go ask them to come lol seriously tho.

I've been doing that. Most kind of rejected me lol but I'm waiting on others.

2 hours ago, Muhajir said:

Thats the issue I wanted to stress. Any shia scholar who has like a phd and is an Imam of a masjid can be a marja to do taqlid of. The smart thing to do is have like one of the big time marjas such as Ayatollah Khameni who is your main marja of taqlid but you should also have a local imam who lives near you that you make taqlid of and if a situation arises where the higher ranked marja overides the lower ranked than you follow the higher ranked one such as Ayatollah Khameni or Sistani but when they are not around you should make taqlid of one of your local imams. I personally have like 10-20 marjas which is very hard and complicated to do unless you have been through a lot of shariah studies but for most people if they have two marjas in the manner I explained before than that is what higher level elite muslims do and it is one step towards growth in your spiritual path in my opinion.... Most scholars  and high level muslims actually have several marjas btw....

Yeah, ta'beedh. I used to follow both Ayatollah Sistani and Ayatollah Hosseini Nassab, as I could contact the latter, but another local scholar informed me that fame among scholars is a legitimate way of determining a Marja, so I follow Sistani.

13 hours ago, Muhajir said:

No that's not true. You cant do taqleed of such a person. You can only do taqleed of a mujtahid who announces his marijiyat. If your local imam knows the fatwas of the mujtahids very well, you can ask and get answers from him, HOWEVER YOU CANT DO TAQLEED OF HIM. Some Imam's might be wakeels of certain marjas so you can ask for more detail on a ruling if he happens to know the details of that marjas ruling. BUT again you cant do taqleed of him. He simply can be a means to attain the fatwas of your marja.

The last claim you made has no basis and I have seen the opposite to be true actually from my experience.

1 minute ago, Al Hadi said:

No that's not true. You cant do taqleed of such a person. You can only do taqleed of a mujtahid who announces his marijiyat. If your local imam knows the fatwas of the mujtahids very well, you can ask and get answers from him, HOWEVER YOU CANT DO TAQLEED OF HIM. Some Imam's might be wakeels of certain marjas so you can ask for more detail on a ruling if he happens to know the details of that marjas ruling. BUT again you cant do taqleed of him. He simply can be a means to attain the fatwas of your marja.

The last claim you made has no basis and I have seen the opposite to be true actually from my experience.

Yeah but doing Taqlid of multiple established maraji is Islamic. Bro DU did a thread on it, and I posted a quote from Tahrir al Vasila on it.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa3004#

Seyyid Ali Khamenei, Ajwebatul-Istifta’at, Darul-Naba’ lil-Nashri wal-Tawzi’, first print, 1420 (ah), vol. 1, pg. 10, question 17.

Not only isn’t tab’iz (following a mujtahid in some issues and another in other ones) problematic, but if there are marja’s that are each more learned than others in certain subjects of fiqh, it is necessary and wajib to follow each in the field that he is an expert in.

Seyyid Ruhullah Khomeini, Tahrirul-Wasilah, Darul-Ilm Institute, Qum, second print, vol. 1, pg. 6, issue 8.

Imam Khomeini’s judgment: If two mujtahids are equal in knowledge (and none are more learned than the other), others (who aren’t mujtahids and have to practice taqlid) can refer to any of the two that they desire, and they can also follow one of the two in some issues and the other in other issues.

Lets wait until bro Muhajir is unbanned (if that happens)

16 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Yeah but doing Taqlid of multiple established maraji is Islamic. Bro DU did a thread on it, and I posted a quote from Tahrir al Vasila on it.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa3004#

Seyyid Ali Khamenei, Ajwebatul-Istifta’at, Darul-Naba’ lil-Nashri wal-Tawzi’, first print, 1420 (ah), vol. 1, pg. 10, question 17.

Not only isn’t tab’iz (following a mujtahid in some issues and another in other ones) problematic, but if there are marja’s that are each more learned than others in certain subjects of fiqh, it is necessary and wajib to follow each in the field that he is an expert in.

Seyyid Ruhullah Khomeini, Tahrirul-Wasilah, Darul-Ilm Institute, Qum, second print, vol. 1, pg. 6, issue 8.

Imam Khomeini’s judgment: If two mujtahids are equal in knowledge (and none are more learned than the other), others (who aren’t mujtahids and have to practice taqlid) can refer to any of the two that they desire, and they can also follow one of the two in some issues and the other in other issues.

Lets wait until bro Muhajir is unbanned (if that happens)

Your right, I know that already. You follow a mujtahid in a subject  if he is the most knowledgeable there. He said it was more Islamic and said most higher level Muslims do it. That is what I disagreed with. I know many shaykhs that just stick to one marja.

Edited by Al Hadi

2 hours ago, Al Hadi said:

Your right, I know that already. You follow a mujtahid in a subject  if he is the most knowledgeable there. He said it was more Islamic and said most higher level Muslims do it. That is what I disagreed with. I know many shaykhs that just stick to one marja.

Ok. Yeah, it is kind of odd to do Taqlid to a marja who doesn't recognize himself as a marja.......