Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Beyond

Liberal Mosque in Germany

Rate this topic

On 6/17/2017 at 0:12 AM, Qa'im said:

Looks like Muslims will soon follow the Jewish example of dividing their religion into "orthodox" and "reform".

I think it was writing on the wall.

As Muslim numbers grow and become indigenize over time in a civilisation strikingly different from where the religion came, it is inevitable that a new strain of Islam would emerge that would merge the two identities and find ways to narrow down the civilisational gap and, in the process, would acquire a different outlook to that practiced in Muslim-majority lands.

Whether or not something labelled as "reform" takes place, the above will come to pass one way or another. 

Edited by Marbles

22 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I think it was writing on the wall.

As Muslim numbers grow and become indigenize over time in a civilisation strikingly different from where the religion came, it is inevitable that a new strain of Islam would emerge that would merge the two identities and find ways to narrow down the civilisational gap and, in the process, would acquire a different outlook to that practiced in Muslim-majority lands.

Whether or not something labelled as "reform" takes place, the above will come to pass one way or another. 

I don't think islam will go the way of Judaism or Christianity.  It is just far too explicit, specific and also adamant in preserving the original outlook for all times.  You will have attempts like the liberal mosque but I do not think this sort of thing will ever gain mainstream momentum. What is far more likely is what takes place now anyway, and that is either abandoning the religion all together, ignoring parts of it you do not find comfortable or in some limited form reinterpretation.

54 minutes ago, King said:

I don't think islam will go the way of Judaism or Christianity.  It is just far too explicit, specific and also adamant in preserving the original outlook for all times.  You will have attempts like the liberal mosque but I do not think this sort of thing will ever gain mainstream momentum. What is far more likely is what takes place now anyway, and that is either abandoning the religion all together, ignoring parts of it you do not find comfortable or in some limited form reinterpretation.

To be fair brother, Judaism also seems explicit, wouldn't you say?

28 minutes ago, E.L King said:

To be fair brother, Judaism also seems explicit, wouldn't you say?

Yes, orthodox jews are quite similar so I was really focusing on Christianity.  The only thing I can think of when it comes to Judaism is that at times they were forced to reform just to survive and I do not feel muslims will suffer the same fate due to the sheer force of their numbers.  There also does not seem to be a central authority so it is easier to personalize.  

Edited by King

These kinds of mosques are anomalies, which is why they grab headlines. They are promoted to help push a "Muslim reformist" movement, but it's really grasping at straws. 

Many mosques exist in every continent and country, and most are not like this. 

The "civilization" that Islam initially emerged in is almost exactly the same as what is now the "west" - The accommodation to jahiliya is what the Qur'an warns against. 

"...  This jahiliyyah is the opposite of the wisdom that is guided by prophets and by God. When wisdom- one that benefits from the support and guidance of prophets- dominates humanity’s life, life will become blissful. We should pursue this. The day when this does not exist, that is to say, the day when human wisdom ceases to be the dominant force; lust, rage and selfish desires will become dominant. If this happens, humanity will burn in the hot furnace of disasters as we have witnessed this throughout history and as we are witnessing it today. " 

http://english.khamenei.ir/news/3763/The-struggle-between-the-Prophet-s-followers-and-followers-of