Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Allah gave them a lot of knowledge, including access to treasures of gold and dinars and how to speak to animals etc. So why didn't the Imams use these blessings to revolutionize the world or cure cancer?

And if these powers were simply given to them to increase their followers' faith in their infallibility and special status, then why didn't they gather herds of millions of animals into fields and command them to stand on their hind legs etc. to show everybody once and for all that they are the true Imams?

I mean, if you're given special powers and knowledge, you're supposed to use it to help Allah's creation. And if you're not supposed to use supernatural means and such powers, then first - why did Allah even give you such useless powers, and second - why did you use these powers in front of your companions such that the companions were able to narrate these supernatural events? Aren't you supposed to hide your powers, or is it ok to show people your special powers? If it's ok to show people, then why didn't the Imams do the whole million-herd-march thing I proposed above?

we can look at the example of the holy prophet (s) and Jesus (as)

people became muslim for one of 3 reasons

- they were slaves/ poor/low status and wanted to be free/wealthy/have status
- they saw miracles 
- they heard the prophet (s) and accepted islam in their hearts based on his arguments

the first 2 types of muslims were the ones that immediately abandoned the prophet (s) teachings upon his death. would saqifa have ever happened if abu bakr did not have massive support? people either saw in abu bakr an opportunity for conquest to increase their own wealth through him, or saw that the prophet (s) had died so the miracles died with him. 

in the example of jesus (as):

he formed a bird out of clay, breathed on it and it became alive. he cured the sick. he brought the dead to life. he knew the secrets within peoples houses. 

what did people do? they started calling him Allah, or the son of Allah aodhobillah. 

the reason why the imams (as) did not do as you asked was because they did not want people to start worshipping them as Allah, and they did not want people to follow them, unless it was because people followed them for the right intention. not lust for wealth, status or belief in miracles. even if no imam (as) performed even a single miracle, i would still follow them because I believe 100% that wilayat was what the prophet (s) commanded me to follow. 

4 hours ago, Three-One-Three said:

Allah gave them a lot of knowledge, including access to treasures of gold and dinars and how to speak to animals etc. So why didn't the Imams use these blessings to revolutionize the world or cure cancer?

And if these powers were simply given to them to increase their followers' faith in their infallibility and special status, then why didn't they gather herds of millions of animals into fields and command them to stand on their hind legs etc. to show everybody once and for all that they are the true Imams?

I mean, if you're given special powers and knowledge, you're supposed to use it to help Allah's creation. And if you're not supposed to use supernatural means and such powers, then first - why did Allah even give you such useless powers, and second - why did you use these powers in front of your companions such that the companions were able to narrate these supernatural events? Aren't you supposed to hide your powers, or is it ok to show people your special powers? If it's ok to show people, then why didn't the Imams do the whole million-herd-march thing I proposed above?

On the day of Ashura, at noon, a faithful Jinn came to Imam Husayn Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã and said "allow me to kill of your enemies"

The Imam said "I have more powers, but how they'd be tested?"

Your question has different dimensions.

Q1:Why the Imams didn't show miracles here and there? they could get everyone to accept them as divine Imams.

A:No, many prophets showed a lot of miracles, yet they were denied. Because simply, the problem of some peiple and its solution is not a miracle:

Whenever some sign comes to them, they say:" We will never believe until we are given the same as God's messengers were given." God is quite Aware as to where He should place His message; belittlement by God and stern torment will strike those who commit crimes because of what they have been plotting. 6:124

Even though We sent you down something written on a papyrus scroll so they might touch it with their own hands, those who disbelieve would still say:" This is just sheer magic!" 6:7

They will not believe in it, even though the custom of early people has already preceded it.
Even though We opened up a gate to Heaven for them so they might keep on climbing into it
they still would say:" Our eyesight has been dazzled-in fact, we are enchanted folk!"  15:13-15

Q2-Why God doesn't show us (human-beings) miracles any longer? (as if miracles only existed in the ancient world)

A: Witnessing a miracle would make your responsibility even greater and more serious:

When the disciples said: 'Jesus, son of Mary, can your Lord send a Table down from Heaven for us? ', he said: 'Heed God if you are believers! '
They said: 'We want to eat from it, and for our hearts to feel at rest, and so we know that you have told us the Truth, and that we should be witnesses for it.'
Jesus the son of Mary said: 'O God our Lord, send us down a Table from Heaven so it may be a recurring feast for us, for both the first of us and the last of us, and as a sign from You! Provide for us, since you are the best Provider.
God said: 'I shall send it down to you. Any of you who disbelieves afterward, I shall punish with such torment as I have never punished anyone in the Universe! '" 5:112-115

Miracles sometimes have opposite effects, like Israelites turned more barefaced after witnessing several miracles. 2:40-47

Nothing has prevented Us from sending signs except that early men rejected them. We sent Thamud the she-camel to open their eyes, yet they mistreated her. We merely send signs in order to frighten [people]. 17:59

Or you may say:" If the Book had been sent down to us, We would be better guided than they are." Evidence has now come to you from your Lord, as well as guidance and mercy. Who is more in the wrong than someone who rejects God's signs and even evades them? We will reward those who evade Our signs with the worst torment because they have acted so evasive. 6:157

Whenever Our verses are recited to them, they say:"We have heard [it] already; if we wished to, we'd say the same as this. These are only myths by primitive people!" 8:31

When Our clear signs are recited to those who do not expect to meet Us, they say:" Bring some other Reading than this, or else change it!" SAY:" It is not up to me to change it of my own accord, because of whatever I may encounter in it on my own. I merely follow what is inspired in me. I fear torment on an awful day if I should disobey my Lord!" 10:15

Q3: Why God doesn't intervene in horrible situations?

A: He should make room for test, according to His wisdom:

Blessed is He in Whose hands there rests control; He is Capable of [doing] everything,
the One Who created death and life, so He may test which of you is finest in action. He is the Powerful, the Forgiving" 67:1-2

Every soul shall taste death. We will test you [all] with something bad and something good as a trial; then to Us will you be returned! 21:35

Do you suppose that you shall enter paradise though there has not yet come to you the like of what befell who went before you? Stress and distress befell them and they were convulsed until the apostle and the faithful who were with him said," When will Allah's help [come]?" Look! Allah's help is indeed near! 2:214

10 hours ago, Three-One-Three said:

I mean, if you're given special powers and knowledge, you're supposed to use it to help Allah's creation. And if you're not supposed to use supernatural means and such powers, then first - why did Allah even give you such useless powers, and second - why did you use these powers in front of your companions such that the companions were able to narrate these supernatural events? Aren't you supposed to hide your powers, or is it ok to show people your special powers?

1. To answer your question, why Masoomeen didn't use the super powers I would remind you that Imam Ali (as) uprooted the gate of khyber in one strong jolt. There are numerous other incidents like this which show that Imams did demonstrate their super powers.

2. The second part , why didn't they do it all the time and in front of everyone ? Do you really think it would be a beneficial thing to do at a time when the people of Arab accused the Prophet (saw) of being a magician and using sorcery?

Hazrat Sulayman (as) had super powers to control the wind and the animals , did that convince everyone he came across of him being a messenger of AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì ?? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another narration about the super powers of our Imam (as)

حدثنا محمد بن الحسن بن أحمد بن الوليد رضي اللهعنه قال حدثنا محمد بن الحسن الصفار و سعد بن عبدالله جميعا عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى عن الحسن بن علي بن يقطين عن أخيه الحسين عنأبيه علي بن يقطين قال استدعى الرشيد رجلا يبطل به أمر أبي الحسن موسى بن جعفر ( ع ) ويقطعه و يخجله في المسجد فانتدب له رجل معزم فلما أحضرت المائدة عمل ناموسا علىالخبز فكان كلما رام أبو الحسن ( ع ) تناول رغيف من الخبز طار من بين يديه و استفز منهارون الفرح و الضحك لذلك فلم يلبث أبو الحسن ( ع ) أن رفع رأسه إلى أسد مصور على بعضالستور فقال له يا أسد خذ عدو الله قال فوثبت تلك الصورة كأعظم ما يكون من السباعفافترست ذلك المعزم فخر هارون و ندماؤه على وجوههم مغشيا عليهم فطارت عقولهم خوفامن هول ما رأوه فلما أفاقوا من ذلك قال هارون لأبي الحسن ( ع ) سألتك بحقي عليك لماسألت الصورة أن ترد الرجل فقال إن كانت عصا موسى ردت ما ابتلعته من حبال القوم وعصيهم فأن هذه الصورة ترد ما ابتلعته من هذا الرجل فكان ذلك أعمل الأشياء في إفاتةنفسه

Muhammad ibn Al-Hassan ibn Ahmad ibn al-Waleed – may God be pleased with him – narrated that Muhammad ibn Al-Hassan al-Saffar and Sa’d ibn Abdullah quoted on the authority of Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Isa, on the authority of Al-Hassan ibn Ali ibn Yaqteen, on the authority of his brother Al-Hussein, on the authority of his father Ali ibn Yaqteen,

“Harun Ar-Rashid was looking for someone who could make fun of Abil Hassan Musa ibn Ja’far (as), belittle him and defeat him in arguments in a meeting. A magician volunteered to do so. When they spread the table to eat, the magician put a spell on the bread so that whenever Abul Hassan (as) wanted to grab a piece of bread to eat, it would fly away from his hands. Harun was very pleased and laughed a lot at this. 

Then Abul Hassan (as) turned to the picture of a lion which was on a portrait and said, “O Lion! Seize this enemy of God!” The narrator of the tradition added, “Then the picture of the lion turned into a big lion, jumped on the magician, and tore him up.”

Then Harun and all his companions who were present were watching got scared, fainted and fell down. When they regained consciousness, Harun told Abil Hassan (as), “I beg you by the right I have over you to ask the picture to return that man.” Then the Imam (as) said, “If the Cane of Moses (as) returned the canes and the ropes which it swallowed, this picture will also return that man.”

The narrator of this tradition added, “This was one of the most important reason why Imam (as) was martyred.” 

[Source: Uyoon akhbar ur raza, Vol 1, Chapter 8, Pg.95,96] Grading : Authentic 

3. Why did Imams show their super powers in front of companions?  You answered it yourself, so that the companions would narrate them to people. 

Tell me, who is more powerful? One who has super powers and freely makes use of them to control other humans and animals or the one who demonstrates self control to not use them on Allah's creations despite possessing the powers? 

Edited by starlight
grammar

12 hours ago, Three-One-Three said:

That wasnt the purpose of the Imams. The Imams were put on the Earth to lead Mankind to the guidance, to give them knowledge about Allah. Imam means leader. It doesnt mean Messiah. Also there have been research of people who may have found cures for cancer. 

Edited by ShiaBrother12

There is many  miracles of Ahlulbayt (as) recorded until now they are not physically among us but still responded our Duas 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDUXcLvD_1W1G2_5Lc9s6ztM8as7yxLRG

On 14/06/2017 at 5:26 AM, Three-One-Three said:

The first assumption being made here is that our Aimmah (asws) had this knowledge. Now, i am not doubting they may have , but there is no certainty in this, and to believe in their ability to know how to cure cancer and the like, is speculation and not an fundamental Aqeedah issue we must hold. Scholars can differ over this and in my eyes, loving and honouring the proofs of Allah on mankind does not necessitate claiming everything and anything other than that they were God himself.  I need evidence when i ask for what the direction to a butchers shop is, so i'm not going abandon needing clear evidence on these issues. In the absence of evidence i do not speculate and refer the matter to Allah.

Shaykh Tusi, known as the leader of our sect, and responsible for two of our for main canonical books of tradition, said regarding the knowledge of the Imams:  

“…We do not consider it necessary for the Imam to have any knowledge of things which is not directly related to Islamic laws….” [ Talkhis al Shafi (Volume 1 page 252)]

talkhis-al-shafi-cover.png?w=311&h=440talkhis-al-shafi-pg252-ghayb.png?w=291&h

The second assumption is to also assume there is a cure for cancer. If you study cancer you will realise that there is never going to be 'one cure' for it. Cancer arises through a series of many mechanisms, and current strategy in fighting it is all about learning more about these mechanisms, and for particular cancers finding their particulate weak points. This is why some cancers (and this is not the only reason) are far more treatable than others. Breast cancer for example has a form that is oestrogen positive, and another that is oestrogen negative. Depending on which type you have will dictate whether or not hormonal therapy for the cancer is going to work. 

Thirdly, let us suppose the Imams did have this knowledge, any scientific knowledge not known in that time, could you imagine them going up to the bedouin Arabs of their time, who had not a faintest clue the cell existed, microorganisms existed, in an age where the views of Galen and the four humours reigned supreme in addition to bedouin medicine? Could you imagine at a time there was no microscope, no X-rays, no CT scans, where the technological evolution of society was ill-equipped to even understand let alone test some of these things? If the Imams had this knowledge, and if they disclosed it, they would have been ridiculed. In fact if you decided to come up with modern day complex theories even a few centuries ago, you may have been met with fierce resistance.

This is actually, the beauty of the Quran and the words of our Aimmah. They remain vague enough that anyone from any era can try to claim their own interpretation of it, and so there will never be any era where the scientists of the Era or what people have commonly accepted goes against the Quran. It is vague when it talks about natural phenomenon, whereas other religious texts explicitly commit themselves to refuted and disproven beliefs, such as the Bible and its adherence to Hippocrates in an explicit manner, almost plagiarising him.

The purpose of the Imams was to preserve the true Sunnah of Muhammed (saw) and the true interpretation of the Quran and the religion of Islam. They had a hard enough time already, often having to meet their followers in secret , some of them going through phases of semi-peace time and fear. To even get the true Sunnah and religious material to us has been a feat in and of itself, never mind bringing forth a scientific revolution that would have caused an earthquake and major ridicule. The purpose of those sent by God was never to try to bring in scientific reform in and of itself, but rather that has been something humanity has done, and evolved in, and the beauty of science is that it is all about discovery. The answers are not just handed to us, but we engage in the thrill of finding out , improving, passing on knowledge to the next generation, who in turn develop and take those ideas further. Isn't that something beautiful? 

Nevertheless, you do see in some of their statements glimpses of what they knew, never explicit but the knowing mind can decipher it. Let me give you an example:

Imam Jaffer as-Sadiq (as) has said: "A man accompanied me who used to perform the evening prayer after dark and the dawn prayer before dawn, whereas I used to perform the evening prayer when the Sun had set and the dawn prayer when the dawn became evident to me. The man asked me: "What prevents you from doing what I do? The Sun rises over some people before it does over us, and sets for us as it rises over other people." I replied: "Because it is our duty to pray when the Sun sets for us and when the dawn breaks for us, and it is their obligation to pray when the Sun sets for them."

Hurr al-'Amili, Wasa'il, vol. 2, pt. 1, p. 131.al-Muḥaqqiq al-Sabzawārī in al-Dhakhīrah al-Maʿād ((Qum: Muʾassassah Āl al-Bayt (ʿas) li Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, n.d.) i, p. 1, 192) has sad this ḥadīth is ṣaḥīḥ.

The above tradition clearly proves that the Imam could only have been referring to a spherical and not flat earth. Sayed al-Khui', the great scholar, elucidates on this: "The narratives reported from the guided Imams of the Prophet's family, as well as their supplications and speeches, contain passages which point to the spherical shape of the Earth...The man based his view on his knowledge of the various risings and settings of the Sun, which result from the spherical shape of the Earth. The Imam, for his part, confirms him in that, but also reminds him of his religious obligation."

Source: https://www.al-islam.org/al-bayan-fi-tafsir-al-quran-prolegomena-quran-ayatullah-sayyid-abulqasim-al-khui/1-inimitability

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

On 23/12/2017 at 11:47 AM, Mohammad Mehedi Hossain said:

Allah Has gived Imam(as) all knowledge 

The treatment Cancer is by Imam Ali(as)
The seed of date(dry fruit) is yhe cure of cancer

Noble Quran:"...Say, 'Produce your proof, if you should be truthful.'"

With regards to the door of Khaybar, it could have happened but as far as i am aware, there are no reliable traditions in our own works and i would be delighted to be presented with one. In terms of the Sunni books, there are three chains. The first in Ibn Ishaq is weak because there is an unknown person in the chain. There are two other chains, and each of those either contains a Matruk (abandoned) individual as per Sunni Rijal, and i don't think either of them would meet our standards either.

However, it is a story and a virtue, and i don't know whether that makes it acceptable to narrate, because it may have happened.  I would love to stand here and say with full confidence it did more than anyone, but the only reason i am on Shiachat, and the only reason i have accepted Islam , is because the moment i go after what i want to be true and not what is actually true, anyone can sway me anywhere. 

Edited by Intellectual Resistance