Rate this topic

Salaam alaikum,

I didn't want to be that guy and we already have a thousand mutah threads but I have an inquiry about mutah. I was re-reading Muta, Temporary Marriage in Islamic Law by Sachiko Murata and I came across this:

But since the woman has no right to sexual intercourse in mut'a, the problem of 'return' to her does not present itself. At any rate, when the time period expires, separation takes place. Thus if zihar exists in mut'a it comes down to this: the man returns the remainder of the time period to the woman. There is no reason to claim that this returning is equivalent to divorce.

What is meant by the woman having no right to sexual intercourse? Is it a legit view in our madhab, it jumped out at me as something that could easily be misunderstood. Can someone explain the context of this statement?

https://www.al-islam.org/muta-temporary-marriage-in-islamic-law-sachiko-murata/statutes-muta

^Here's the page in its entirety.

in a Nikah, a woman has a right to have sex and demand it from her husband

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2349/

2427. It is not permissible for the husband to abandon sexual intercourse with his youthful, permanent wife for more than 4 months, except when sexual intercourse is harmful to him, or involves unusually more effort, or when the wife herself agrees to avoid it, or if a prior stipulation to that effect was made at the time of Nikah by the husband. And in this rule, there is no difference between the situations when the husband is present, or on a journey, or whether she is a wife by permanent or temporary marriage.

in mutah, sex is not mandatory. for example I could do mutah with a girl i was travelling with, with the agreement of no physical contact. In Nikah, its problematic. 

On 6/13/2017 at 1:19 AM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum,

I didn't want to be that guy and we already have a thousand mutah threads but I have an inquiry about mutah. I was re-reading Muta, Temporary Marriage in Islamic Law by Sachiko Murata and I came across this:

What is meant by the woman having no right to sexual intercourse? Is it a legit view in our madhab, it jumped out at me as something that could easily be misunderstood. Can someone explain the context of this statement?

https://www.al-islam.org/muta-temporary-marriage-in-islamic-law-sachiko-murata/statutes-muta

^Here's the page in its entirety.

I think its up to the couple in that regard since mutah is the same as nikkah just with a time period but obviously many traditional muslims use it as like an "engagement" for the couple to hang out and get to know each other but technically speaking whatever is okay with the "full time nikkah lol" should be okay.

Edited by Muhajir