Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muhajir

Missed fasts question

Rate this topic

I just started fasting again yesterday because I couldn't fast before that due to a sickness I had my body was in pain and I couldn't really move so my sheikh gave me permission to not fast but now that I got a little better he told me that I have to fast again so this is my second day. I wanted to ask which day of fasting is it so I could see how many days I need to make up and also what are the options I have for making up the missed days?

3 minutes ago, Muhajir said:

I wanted to ask which day of fasting is it so I could see how many days I need to make up and also what are the options I have for making up the missed days?

If you live in the US or Canada, today is the 16th of Ramadan. 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/calendar/1-community-calendar/

17 hours ago, Muhajir said:

I just started fasting again yesterday because I couldn't fast before that due to a sickness I had my body was in pain and I couldn't really move so my sheikh gave me permission to not fast but now that I got a little better he told me that I have to fast again so this is my second day. I wanted to ask which day of fasting is it so I could see how many days I need to make up and also what are the options I have for making up the missed days?

For every day of fast you miss you must feed 60 needy people. For every fast that you break before its prescribed time you must feed one needy person. The last 10 days of Ramadan are very important. 

9 hours ago, ShiaBrother12 said:

For every day of fast you miss you must feed 60 needy people. For every fast that you break before its prescribed time you must feed one needy person. 

That is only true if you miss a fast on purpose. If you have a legitimate reason for not fasting, then the ratio is 1:1. You still have to offer fidya as for the missed fast and also keep it when you can.

Fidya - if you miss a fast for a valid reason
Kafarrrah - if you miss a fast for no reason.

Edited by shiaman14

15 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

That is only true if you miss a fast on purpose. If you have a legitimate reason for not fasting, then the ratio is 1:1. You still have to offer fidya as for the missed fast and also keep it when you can.

Kafarrrah - if you miss a fast for no reason.

Ok. 

32 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Salam. Fidyah is to be paid only if you break your fast with a valid reason, but failed to do its qada before the next following Ramadan.

4 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Salam. Fidyah is to be paid only if you break your fast with a valid reason, but failed to do its qada before the next following Ramadan.

how much is it?

17 hours ago, Hassan- said:

salaam brother,

I think we discussed this previously and discovered that Ayatollah Sistani and Ayatollah Khamenei had different rulings on this.

17 hours ago, Muhajir said:

how much is it?

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/02654/

Question: What is the Islamic law about someone who cannot fast due to old age?

Answer: Fasting is not obligatory on a person who cannot fast because of old age, or for whom fasting causes extreme hardship. He or she should give one mudd (750 grams) of food stuffs to a poor Shia Muslim for every fast.
Fasting is not obligatory on a person who suffers from a disease which causes excessive thirst, making it unbearable, or full of hardship. But in the latter case, that is, of hardship, he should give one mudd of food to poor, for every fast. 

Question: What is the Islamic ruling about someone who is suffering from a disease? How should he go about fasting?
Answer: He who fears for himself of falling ill as a result of fasting is not required to fast. Nor is he who believes that fasting would worsen his poor state of health in any way, be it hampering his recovery or increasing his pain. This should, however, be commensurate with what is generally accepted in these circumstances. If he fears that fasting might be harmful to him, it is permissible to break his fast. And if his illness continues until the next Ramadhan, Qadha is not obligatory but he should give 750 grams of food (wheat, flour or bread or any kind of food) for each day to poor Shiites. If he recovers within the same year, only Qadha is obligatory on him and he will not have to pay kaffara.
As for a patient whose health is not affected by fasting, he must fast and his fasting is in order.

2Question: I am suffering from a problem with my kidney. Dehydration will affect my kidney and worsen my health problem. What is my duty about fasting?
Answer: You cannot fast in the said case. If your problem continues until the next Ramadhan, Qadha is also not obligatory either; you should give one mudd of food stuffs as fidya for each day. One mudd is equal to 750 grams.

28 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

I think we discussed this previously and discovered that Ayatollah Sistani and Ayatollah Khamenei had different rulings on this.

What the 2 maraji's differentiate from is Sayed Sistani says if you didn't do qada before the next Ramadan, you must pay fidyah no matter what the excuse is, but Imam Khamenei says if you have a legit excuse you don't need to pay fidyah. However both maraji' agree that fidyah is only to be payed for the days you failed to do qada before the next Ramadan.

2Question: I am suffering from a problem with my kidney. Dehydration will affect my kidney and worsen my health problem. What is my duty about fasting?

Answer: You cannot fast in the said case. If your problem continues until the next Ramadhan, Qadha is also not obligatory either; you should give one mudd of food stuffs as fidya for each day. One mudd is equal to 750 grams.