Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Faruk

Shia/Sunni beard

Rate this topic

Salam,

What are the diffirences between a sunni and a shia beard and what are the rules for growing the beard/handle the moustache in shiaism?

1 hour ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

What are the diffirences between a sunni and a shia beard and what are the rules for growing the beard/handle the moustache in shiaism?

Shi'a scholars say it is makruh for the beard to be longer than your fist. As for the moustache, some Shi'a scholars say leaving it short is recommended.

Sayyed Al-Sistani says taking from the moustache every Friday is mustahab.

6 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

According to Shia fiqh, beards shouldn't be longer than your fist. Usually Sunnis have a long beard with no mustache, while a Shia has an average length beard with a mustache. 

Is it obligatory and why do shia beards look they are more taken care of? Is it permitted to make the beard modest?

1 minute ago, Faruk said:

Is it obligatory and why do shia beards look they are more taken care of? Is it permitted to make the beard modest?

It's not obligatory, but it's disliked. Not many Sh'ias do it. As for why our beards are more taken care of, I'm not too sure about that. Maybe it's because the shorter the beard the less messy it gets.

1 hour ago, Faruk said:

I agree, most Shias beard looks classy in comparison to Sunnis. Look at the comparison below.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a beard looking nice and clean as long as the requirements are met.

d3FwAB5H_400x400.jpeg

Boosting-unity-the-most-important-duty-of-Sunni-and-Shia-scholars.jpg

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

It's not obligatory, but it's disliked. Not many Sh'ias do it. As for why our beards are more taken care of, I'm not too sure about that. Maybe it's because the shorter the beard the less messy it gets.

I meant is it obligatory to grow the beard?

6 minutes ago, Ya Allah Madad said:

And if your marja is someone else then? like Ali Khameini or Sadiq Shirazi?

All three Marj'a hold the position that it is impermissible, mostly based on obligatory precaution, to shave the beard.

On 2017-6-11 at 0:04 AM, Faruk said:

Salam,

Sunnis allow to shave the moustache while we dont allow for any part of the beard to be shaved except for the hair on the cheeks. 

On 11/06/2017 at 8:21 AM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I agree, most Shias beard looks classy in comparison to Sunnis. Look at the comparison below.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a beard looking nice and clean as long as the requirements are met.

d3FwAB5H_400x400.jpeg

Boosting-unity-the-most-important-duty-of-Sunni-and-Shia-scholars.jpg

To be honest, our major ulema, from sayed-Ali-Sistani, to sayed Ali Khamanei, all have rather long beards, like the second one. Shia's on average have much shorter beards than sunni's.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, Faruk said:

Salam,

In all honesty at the end of the day sunnis and Shias have the same opinion on beard. Now the issue is how long should the beard be and what constitutes a beard. The strongest opinion is what your local community and culture considers to be a beard is a beard, so living in the west a short beard is considered a beard and is permissible and actually encouraged because a long beard in the west can make you lose job oppurtunities and things like that. Now if one was living in an Islamic state and the longer beard was common then it would be preferable to have a long beard. The other point is shaving the beard completely is haram is haram is haram unless you will lose your job and the minimum amount is like I said earlier what your culture would consider a beard so if somebody described you they could say that guy has a beard.

17 hours ago, ShiaBrother12 said:

Sunnis allow to shave the moustache while we dont allow for any part of the beard to be shaved except for the hair on the cheeks. 

We allow shaving the moustache brother and some might say it is mustahab to trim it. Check the link I posted above.

As for the not allowing the shaving of any part of the beard, that is controversial. Some ulama allow a goatee.

Edited by E.L King

1 hour ago, E.L King said:

We allow shaving the moustache brother and some might say it is mustahab to trim it. Check the link I posted above.

As for the not allowing the shaving of any part of the beard, that is controversial. Some ulama allow a goatee.

You cannot shave the moustache. Only hair on the cheeks. 

49 minutes ago, ShiaBrother12 said:

You cannot shave the moustache. Only hair on the cheeks. 

The moustache is not part of the beard and it can be shaved. It is not wajib to keep one, and it is better to keep it trimmed. It is mustahab to take from it every Friday. Please do not give fatwas based on personal opinions.

Please read this link:

http://www.14publications.com/articles/the-islamic-beard-how-should-it-be-trimmed/

Just now, E.L King said:

The moustache is not part of the beard and it can be shaved. It is not wajib to keep one, and it is better to keep it trimmed. It is mustahab to take from it every Friday. Please do not give fatwas based on personal opinions.

Please read this link:

http://www.14publications.com/articles/the-islamic-beard-how-should-it-be-trimmed/

Bro why would you want to shave the moustache. It looks weird like that. 

:)

On 6/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, gotmuffins! said:
On 6/11/2017 at 5:28 PM, Ya Allah Madad said:

And if your marja is someone else then? like Ali Khameini or Sadiq Shirazi?

All three Marj'a hold the position that it is impermissible, mostly based on obligatory precaution, to shave the beard.

And if you are following ahlebayt then? What will be the ruling.