Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Kaniz-e-Zaynab

Living in the West..

Rate this topic

Salam, 

I feel like Im gradually getting tired of living in the West... Why should one live in a place where they're not appreciated? Where for every attack or bombing that takes place in the world you start seeing hashtags like '#stopislam' or '#islamiscancer'. And trust me, I've tried not to care about what people say but going through situations every day where you see a frown on peoples' faces when they just hear the word 'Islam', makes it worse for me.

I know Islam is the right path and the Ahlulbayt (AS) are the best guides and I have no doubt about that. It just sickens me to live amongst such ignorance. Why should we live in fear for our wives, sisters and mothers when they go out that they can be victims of a hate crime? Would we not be happier in our home countries where people atleast wouldn't tell us to 'go back to where you came from' or that 'Islam has no place in a liberal Western society'?

I feel like I'm just done living here in the West and I know there's a lot of corruption in Muslim countries too but atleast you have the same people as you, muslims around you, and atleast you wouldnt be considered a 'threat to Western society'. 

Could someone please give me some advice on this and how you deal with these situations? I feel like ignorance is one thing I cannot stand and now I'm seeing it every where thus it's bothering me a lot. 

Edited by Kaniz-e-Zaynab

Your basic Ayats, @Kaniz-e-Zaynab , to make a decision by are: 4:97 and 29:56 .

Unless things make it a necessity to move or move-on, remember the Sunnah of the Prophet-s.a.w.s. where he endured garbage thrown on his back, starvation, a murder plot, and other things; and the hadith were it is stated that wherever you are, you are instructed to build-up/improve the community you reside in.

8 hours ago, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

I feel like ignorance is one thing I cannot stand and now I'm seeing it every where thus it's bothering me a lot. 

I do feel your frustration OP. However, In Australia, I haven't encountered many Islamophobic people. I have met many tolerant and nice people. I have noticed that, not everyone is like the ignorant trolls you see in social media. I can't complain much, because there is nothing stopping me to fulfill my basic Islamic obligations in a western society. If I complain, it would be a bit unreasonable knowing how understanding some Western people can be. If you ever visit my university, you will find that the Muslims have such a big and convenient prayer room allocated to them, whereas the Christians have a room that doesn't even look like one. 

My point is that, we Muslims are a bit picky in terms of our repetitive statement of 'how hard it is to live in Western society'. Do you think our Muslim countries would tolerate so many Christian chruches being buil. I take Pakistan as an example, as it would have no tolerance of other faiths.

It is just that some ignorant people make us generalize and make judgments on the whole Western society. The ignorance is everywhere trust me, especially on social media . What we Muslims need to do is to show glimpses of Ahlulbayt (as) to the whole world. At this time, non-Muslims need to understand us and it is our duty to be at our best, and show what Islam is about. It is very easy going back to an Islamic country, and forget about everything. I just feel it is our duty to spread peace and be a good example to the world. Imagine how many rewards you will get by Allah, knowing how you demonstrated Islam through your actions and words. Try to do anything to set a good example of Muslims.

I am no one to judge your decision, but I would rather help the world know what Islam is truly about. The numbers don't matter at all to me, as even talking to one non-Muslim with ikhlaq means everything.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

If you have a way back to the country of your or your family's origin, and if you feel safe and not threatened as a Shia to live in that country, and if you can find a decent way to make a living, then I'd say why not, move back, build a new life yourself and your family. 

Reverse migration is picking up. I know tons of people who have returned to countries of their origin (in my case Pakistan). There are always challenges to face when you opt for a lower standard of living than what you're familiar with in the West, but most people do okay. Some move back and forth depending on their work and family dynamics. You may do the same.

In some cases this might not be possible, eg if the country is in a grip of an all-out war and so unstable that moving back is almost suicidal. eg Syria, Libya.

Edited by Marbles

6 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I compare living in the West to some so called muslim majority countries where my Shia identity would be a threat to their governments. Unfortunately, living in the West may seem like its bad, but most so called muslim countries are even worse for us Shias. So unless you move to Iran or Iraq or Lebanon, I doubt its much better elsewhere. With the cancer of wahhabism spreading globally, I think its only getting worse unfortunately. 

I do prefer living in the West as well when it comes to the education, jobs, and you're much safer here than if I lived in the Middle East for example.

But sometimes I feel like I'm ready to give up all that just to live in peace in my home country where I'd have muslims around me and being a female, I wouldnt have to worry about leaving the house alone in fear that my hijab might get pulled off by some ridiculous creatures. And just seeing the way these people talk about Islam is like they view it as some Medieval age religion which was brought 1400 years ago just to terrorize people. Its truly saddening how they think all Muslims are terrorists or could become a terrorist one day or another.

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I do feel your frustration OP. However, In Australia, I haven't encountered many Islamophobic people. I have met many tolerant and nice people. I have noticed that, not everyone is like the ignorant trolls you see in social media. I can't complain much, because there is nothing stopping me to fulfill my basic Islamic obligations in a western society. If I complain, it would be a bit unreasonable knowing how understanding some Western people can be. If you ever visit my university, you will find that the Muslims have such a big and convenient prayer room allocated to them, whereas the Christians have a room that doesn't even look like one. 

My point is that, we Muslims are a bit picky in terms of our repetitive statement of 'how hard it is to live in Western society'. Do you think our Muslim countries would tolerate so many Christian chruches being buil. I take Pakistan as an example, as it would have no tolerance of other faiths.

It is just that some ignorant people make us generalize and make judgments on the whole Western society. The ignorance is everywhere trust me, especially on social media . What we Muslims need to do is to show glimpses of Ahlulbayt (as) to the whole world. At this time, non-Muslims need to understand us and it is our duty to be at our best, and show what Islam is about. It is very easy going back to an Islamic country, and forget about everything. I just feel it is our duty to spread peace and be a good example to the world. Imagine how many rewards you will get by Allah, knowing how you demonstrated Islam through your actions and words. Try to do anything to set a good example of Muslims.

I am no one to judge your decision, but I would rather help the world know what Islam is truly about. The numbers don't matter at all to me, as even talking to one non-Muslim with ikhlaq means everything.

Honestly, maybe I am taking everything too negatively. I havent  experienced a situation where someone publicly bashed me or my religion but I still feel it everyday.

Specially at my school, the white kids act like we're all immigrants who took over their country and now we're trying to force Islam down their throats. I live in Canada and we've even had anti islam protests here. But I am on social media a lot and thats usually where I see all the hate which makes me cringe and start believing that all Western people are like this. 

Maybe from now I'll try to ignore such people and just focus on my work and studies. I've trying doing this before as well and I was fine for a considerable period of time but now with all the recent attacks Im starting to feel the hate again..

As an outsider who sees these issues, I can offer this advice:

Remember that you are an ambassador of your faith and of your people. Try to see past the hostility and reach out to people who do not understand Islam, and who do not understand your culture. Most western people are reasonable, especially in Canada. 

We have both Sunni and Shia mosques in my area, and a lot of Arabs and Persians. There is almost no hostility toward them here, because we are educated, worldly people, and the Muslims here reach out to the community and hold events. There are interfaith conferences, films, dinners, etc.

When I went to Europe as a kid, the Germans were pretty icy and suspicious of me until I proved to them I was a good person and reliable

The best policy is openness and kindness--no one will stay suspicious of you or angry with you when you follow this policy 

22 hours ago, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

Salam, 

I feel like Im gradually getting tired of living in the West... Why should one live in a place where they're not appreciated? Where for every attack or bombing that takes place in the world you start seeing hashtags like '#stopislam' or '#islamiscancer'. And trust me, I've tried not to care about what people say but going through situations every day where you see a frown on peoples' faces when they just hear the word 'Islam', makes it worse for me.

I know Islam is the right path and the Ahlulbayt (AS) are the best guides and I have no doubt about that. It just sickens me to live amongst such ignorance. Why should we live in fear for our wives, sisters and mothers when they go out that they can be victims of a hate crime? Would we not be happier in our home countries where people atleast wouldn't tell us to 'go back to where you came from' or that 'Islam has no place in a liberal Western society'?

I feel like I'm just done living here in the West and I know there's a lot of corruption in Muslim countries too but atleast you have the same people as you, muslims around you, and atleast you wouldnt be considered a 'threat to Western society'. 

Could someone please give me some advice on this and how you deal with these situations? I feel like ignorance is one thing I cannot stand and now I'm seeing it every where thus it's bothering me a lot. 

Its not living in the west thats the problem its hate for religion and religious people which is also big in muslim countries. In many muslim countries most people hate on or dislike the religious people so you might see similar things in many islamic countries and the reason for this is many people are hating on religious people because they want to spend their time partying their way to the hell fire and its hard for them to be good. So for the time being its probably best for you to find a way to adapt in western culture while holding your religious beliefs which is very possible. I am very religious but live in the west and have no problems with people hating islam because once they talk to me or meet me than they get shocked and understand that islam is like their religions and then they start to appreciate islam so you have to set a good example for people because they need physical walking examples of good muslims in order to learn what it really is and how its basically like the real version of christianity which in reality is islam.

18 hours ago, Marbles said:

If you have a way back to the country of your or your family's origin, and if you feel safe and not threatened as a Shia to live in that country, and if you can find a decent way to make a living, then I'd say why not, move back, build a new life yourself and your family. 

Reverse migration is picking up. I know tons of people who have returned to countries of their origin (in my case Pakistan). There are always challenges to face when you opt for a lower standard of living than what you're familiar with in the West, but most people do okay. Some move back and forth depending on their work and family dynamics. You may do the same.

In some cases this might not be possible, eg if the country is in a grip of an all-out war and so unstable that moving back is almost suicidal. eg Syria, Libya.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum brother Marbles,

I'm an example of reverse migration.  It has almost been a decade and Alhamd'Allah with a loyal trusting dh I have no regrets.  It's only hard because my parents have aged.  My dad reminded me yesterday he is 80 and he chokes up because he looks at his brothers how their daughters are surrounding them but when it comes to him all his daughters are far away.  

It's not like I can pack up with my children and go see them.  He understands that.  

Alhamd'Allah, I live in a conservative area with family values still intact compared to a hypersexualized, individualistic, broken down single, unmarried region.

I love the fact I can listen to adhan everyday, go to masjids near by, and now with the month of Ramadhan, when it is time for mughrib the streets are empty, families together enjoying iftar.  Alhamd'Allah for this blessing.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

On 2017-6-8 at 9:05 PM, Kaniz-e-Zaynab said:

Salam, 

Its only going to get worse. Soon everyone across America will hate Muslims and then it will become worldwide so brace yourself.