Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sidnaq

What is it like being white?

Rate this topic

On 6/7/2017 at 8:18 AM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

No, we are equal to everybody else in the world and also subjected to racism as well. It's just that some place too much value in our lack of melanin.

*all non-white places. 

33 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

by that i mean, what is it like to be primaril defined as being different because you are white.r white ppl really that different?

How can this question be answered? Everybody is different, everybody is the same. Can you answer what's it like being brown or what's it like being black or what's it like being yellow or red or green or blue or whatever? 

I don't even know how to answer what it's like being me. I surely can't speak for 1/4 of the Earth's population! 

Just know that we are more alike than different. 

On 6/7/2017 at 9:14 AM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

** White power/Nazi/ KKK places too. (We are not Nordic aliens from Venus, Adolf.)

yes you are! a video on the internet told me. 

what i said is true though, in south asia/ the middle east white skin is basically seen as top tier. we have poor girls in pakistan spending hundreds/ thousands literally bleaching their skin, and darker skin girls unable to get married. its sad. 

53 minutes ago, notme said:

How can this question be answered? Everybody is different, everybody is the same. Can you answer what's it like being brown or what's it like being black or what's it like being yellow or red or green or blue or whatever? 

I don't even know how to answer what it's like being me. I surely can't speak for 1/4 of the Earth's population! 

Just know that we are more alike than different. 

@Gaius I. Caesar @notme have you ever felt you were being treated differently by other people, asian or black whoever because you were white?Do people assume you think differently?the main argument that i have heard being used towards white people is that they dont have to face racial problems because the system favors them.How do you feel about this statement. were you treated negatively or superior or more friendly in some situations perhaps?

I am asking these questions to gain answers from people.

1 hour ago, sidnaq said:

by that i mean, what is it like to be primaril defined as being different because you are white.r white ppl really that different?

Jesus was brown :P. So am I... I am kinda Olive skin btw. 

20 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

we have poor girls in pakistan spending hundreds/ thousands literally bleaching their skin, and darker skin girls unable to get married. its sad. 

As a person who is paler than apartment walls, I find that offensive. 

On 6/7/2017 at 9:48 AM, notme said:

I grew up fairly lower middle class, so I have more in common with non-rich people of color than I do with middle class white people. Yes, I've faced discrimination all my life. I wasn't dressed right, I had the wrong accent, I was socially awkward. 

Then when I converted to Islam and started interacting with more Muslims it became so much worse, worse than I ever would have imagined. Maybe that's how it always has been for non-white non-rich people. I don't know, but it's certainly increased my empathy. I've had friends who were very sweet and compassionate, and had absolutely no idea when they were making unfair assumptions about different races, ethnicities, economic classes. Maybe it's not possible for humans with different experiences to understand each other. Maybe the only way to see each and every human being as a real individual person is to know them, talk with them, listen without assuming. 

oh i see,....im sorry i had no idea. i dont know what to say after reading this. its just wow i hd no idea about such experiences happening. what are your thoughts on malcolm x speeches if you have heard any? do you feel he is wrong or right in any way?

21 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

we have poor girls in pakistan spending hundreds/ thousands literally bleaching their skin, and darker skin girls unable to get married.

You mean Fair and Lovely lol 

635983552043759104683069945_slider_engli

On 6/7/2017 at 9:54 AM, notme said:

As a person who is paler than apartment walls, I find that offensive. 

its a sign of class, i.e. shes so high born shes never been out in the sun/ harsh conditions. its a very strange man. its not just desis its pretty much every non western country. white people are seen as more attractive. 

6 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

its a sign of class, i.e. shes so high born shes never been out in the sun/ harsh conditions. its a very strange man. its not just desis its pretty much every non western country. white people are seen as more attractive. 

I wonder if it's rooted in phrases in Quran and hadith talking about black or white faces on the day of judgement. I'm certain these things aren't meant literally, but if they are taken literally they might cause some people to believe white faces are inherently good (which is ridiculous) and black faces are inherently evil (also ridiculous). Honestly, I'm troubled by these phrases. I'd like to read a good explanation. 

Edited by notme

On 6/7/2017 at 10:16 AM, notme said:

I wonder if it's rooted in phrases on Quran and hadith, talking about black or white faces on the day of judgement. I'm certain these things aren't meant literally, but if they are taken literally they might cause some people to believe white faces are inherently good (which is ridiculous) and black faces are inherently evil (also ridiculous). Honestly, I'm troubled by these phrases. I'd like to read a good explanation. 

undoubtedly, yes. brother @Qa'im did a really good blog post how hoories in heaven arent caucasian lol:

I can see how well meaning but ignorant people would read the verses and see them as literal. I believe even the mormon church believes black people are black because in a previous life (?) they rejected jesus or something along those lines, so its pretty much every where

27 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

oh i see,....im sorry i had no idea. i dont know what to say after reading this. its just wow i hd no idea about such experiences happening. what are your thoughts on malcolm x speeches if you have heard any? do you feel he is wrong or right in any way?

I've never listened to Malcolm X's speeches. I know he was a civil rights leader, and for that I respect him, but I also have read that for a long time he advocated black supremacy, which is absolutely against Islamic teachings. He also advocated violent revolution, which would have caused more harm than good. Later in his life he changed his mind and he died while trying to convince others of his much more Islamic later beliefs. He was a complex human being, with good and bad attributes. Maybe one day I'll get around to looking at some of his speeches and then I'll be better able to make a judgement on his character. Based on only what I know, he was a work in progress. 

1 minute ago, notme said:

I've never listened to Malcolm X's speeches. I know he was a civil rights leader, and for that I respect him, but I also have read that for a long time he advocated black supremacy, which is absolutely against Islamic teachings. He also advocated violent revolution, which would have caused more harm than good. Later in his life he changed his mind and he died while trying to convince others of his much more Islamic later beliefs. He was a complex human being, with good and bad attributes. Maybe one day I'll get around to looking at some of his speeches and then I'll be better able to make a judgement on his character. Based on only what I know, he was a work in progress. 

hmm isee

My ex husband thought that white girls are ugly. According to him, white girls have fair skin but their features are not very beautiful, so only desi girls with light skin are beautiful. Also, white girls start looking old at very young age and they get a lot of wrinkles while desi women look young even in their 50s and 60s. I think it was just a case of 'grapes are sour'. He was really popular among all light skinned desi girls but white girls didn't like his style of flirting and saw him as a creep. 

2 hours ago, notme said:

Can you answer what's it like being brown or what's it like being black or what's it like being yellow or red or green or blue or whatever? 

Oh absolutely! Until recently most non-white races came from subjugated peoples and, as such, have a lot to say about what is is to be their race or skin colour, as well as the assumptions and stereotypes they have to face in a world where overwhelming majority of international media is produced in powerful white countries which is then consumed the world over.

Whatever answer you get to being black or brown, or being a light-skinned person or a dark-skined person within a colour type, one thing is for pretty sure: people who say they are indifferent towards the matter would be very few.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:32 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

yes you are! a video on the internet told me. 

what i said is true though, in south asia/ the middle east white skin is basically seen as top tier. we have poor girls in pakistan spending hundreds/ thousands literally bleaching their skin, and darker skin girls unable to get married. its sad. 

I'm not sure what constitutes as "dark" to you, but here in Calif., everyone wants to be the tan girl and is sought after. Being tan, and even darker, with slightly contrasting hair like light brown/blond/ombres/whatever is what's considered highly attractive here to most people. Not having a tan, ombred hair, etc., makes you look like you don't take care of yourself as much.

I get slightly tan at times (and by slightly meaning a shade or two darker than my skin.), but it fades quickly by the fall and I normally sunburn a bit before getting tan. People can't usually guess my nationally since my natural hair is jet black (I've since dyed it brown.) and I'm quite pasty. 

I used to be tan as a child since I never applied sunscreen, was always in the sun, etc. Now that I'm older, I realized if you want to look healthier and remain youthful (Have you seen some girls my age? At 20, they look almost 30.) you have to take care of your skin by applying sunscreen, wearing less heavy foundation, get quality sleep, etc. 

My point is that people here that are just as likely to get married as the "not as dark types" are the "dark", exotic girls. There's so many people to choose from and the right person will find someone attractive, dark or not. 

At the end of the day, physical appearance and attraction makes up for only 25% of importance on long term relationships/marriages. There are other important factors at play that override physical appearance.

35 minutes ago, notme said:

Yeah, I've heard that as well, particularly about the advocacy of violent revolution, which is why I prefer Martin Luther King over Malcolm X any day. 

Racism as a negative concept, is a Western European  idea, in the rest of the world it is normal. 

That doesn't mean that there aren't racist people from there, but it is politically incorrect and you can't get away with throwing around vile racial slurs. Whereas in most other places, children are reared on racism and believing that their race is the superior one. It may only be subtle, but it is still clear. 

But to be fair, Asians dislike Africans and Arabs as much as they dislike Whites. Same goes for Africans and South Americans.

Obviously no everyone is like that,  but the amount who are isn't negligible. 

Edited by Ali_Hussain

2 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I'm not sure what constitutes as "dark" to you

first of all, congratulations on your engagement, I wish you a lifetime of happiness, inshaAllah :)

can I just make clear, that I am not saying lighter = prettier. its something that's prevalent in my culture though. please dont think because I am saying these things that im endorsing the mindset cos im not. may Allah protect me from such ignorance.

"dark" desi girls look like this, I am not gonna post a random sisters picture online, but imagine a girl version of this kid

2728240809_950617e3ba.jpg

56 minutes ago, notme said:

I wonder if it's rooted in phrases in Quran and hadith talking about black or white faces on the day of judgement. I'm certain these things aren't meant literally, but if they are taken literally they might cause some people to believe white faces are inherently good (which is ridiculous) and black faces are inherently evil (also ridiculous). Honestly, I'm troubled by these phrases. I'd like to read a good explanation. 

I doubt this is the reason, since this phenomenon is not limited to Muslim countries. And I would imagine most people would assume the Qur'an is talking about faces being white or black due to skin colour, but rather as a result of noor (or lack of it) coming from the person's face.

10 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Racism as a negative concept, is a Western European  idea, in the rest of the world it is normal. 

That doesn't mean that there aren't racist people from there, but it is politically incorrect and you can't get away with throwing around vile racial slurs. Whereas in most other places, children are reared on racism and believing that their race is the superior one. It may only be subtle, but it is still clear. 

But to be fair, Asians dislike Africans and Arabs as much as they dislike Whites. Same goes from Africans and South Americans.

Obviously no everyone is like that,  but the amount isn't negligible. 

The Prophet (s) spoke out against racism didn't he?

White supremacy was an assumption in the US for a long time. It was a slave-holding nation ,for Pete's sake, for almost 100 years after the " all men are created equal" verbage .  It was institutionalized. Among the myriad of other things,  around here a native could not testify in court against a white for a long time. You can see how that would mess a lot of things up. Still correcting things that happened with that. 

White supremacy is a cancer that has spread throughout the entire world. Anti black sentiment and racism is alive and well and has been for over hundreds of years. It has managed to spread inside various Islamic groups and cultures as well. I don't trust "white" people. And that doesn't mean I condemn the entire race to be unethical or untrustworthy or devils or whatever. "White" here means what Britain and America have been doing to the earth. The past 500 years "white culture" has had nothing to offer the world except colonialism, apartheid and racism. I also believe that white races aren't to blame themselves in this time and age however. The "western white brain" has been indoctrinated into thinking that any other people/belief is inherently less than theirs since they were babies...

https://www.google.nl/url?q=https://www.cwu.edu/diversity/sites/cts.cwu.edu.diversity/files/documents/constructingwhiteness.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjfo--9nqzUAhWQb1AKHfMOAu8QFggeMAc&usg=AFQjCNE2JgxqGvvXXyd67dIJzFiJoB3u5Q

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

This all does not mean however, that other folks havent done exactly the same thing in history. All races on earth have had their black pages in history. Don't get me started on Arabs and how they treat South Asians and Africans. Arabs are imho the biggest racists on earth. I've personally in my profession met more than one middle easteners who look with disdain upon "3abeed". And mind you, they'll say that word to their faces. Anyway I'm getting all worked up here.

Plus, brother DA is absolutely right with his note on colourism within South Asian and African cultures. Somehow they absolutely shun dark skin and do everything in their power to promote whitenening products and straighteners for curly and nappy hair and all that crap. Even in south america (which is largely black and of African roots) people hate to say they're black and try to emulate this European Spanish beauty.