Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Belt & Road [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators

This thread can be used for all economic and political issues related to Belt & Road, irrespective of whichever country is being referred to.

• Veteran Member

Renewal of the Silk Road was an lranian initiative back in the 90s. The US went all-out to squash this --like they did with the Nabucco Pipeline. (NOTE: Current Wikipedia postings have the current 'plan' [ basically Turkey Austria] but still ignores lran's gas.)  With China now building a Xi'an to France road & rail network and Russia for it, the US really can't do much.

As part of the "belt", China is building a major port in Djibouti.

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, E.L King said:

China is going to defeat the United States when it comes to global economy.

ln college in my Chinese history course, we had the quote from Sun Yaht-sen (born: Sun Wen; Yaht-sen is his baptismal name) that China will one day dominate the World.

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, E.L King said:

But China is already way far ahead from India.

Brother

In this link

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/04/worlds-fastest-growing-economies/  

if you look at the second part of the chart at the bottom titled Emerging Markets in the section titled GLOBAL Growth Forecast, 

India has the highest growth rate at more than 7%

China is second at less than 7%. 

Brazil is in negative territory.

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, baqar said:

Brother

In this link

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/04/worlds-fastest-growing-economies/  

if you look at the second part of the chart at the bottom titled Emerging Markets in the section titled GLOBAL Growth Forecast, 

China is second at less than 7%. 

Brazil is in negative territory.

You didn't understand me. I was talking about the size of the economy, China is much further ahead.

• Forum Administrators
2 minutes ago, baqar said:

China is second at less than 7%

Yes, but have you seen the data on the size of their economies? India is US$9.5trn and China is US$22trn. 

statisticstimes.com/economy/china-vs-india-gdp.php

I can't vouch for the precision of the numbers, but the main idea is that the Chinese economy is way larger than that of India.

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, E.L King said:

I was talking about the size of the economy, China is much further ahead.

1 minute ago, Haji 2003 said:

the main idea is that the Chinese economy is way larger than that of India.

Yes, of course it is.

In my post (no 6 from the top),  I was merely talking about the growth rate which is also an indicator of economic progress.

I think it is also seen as the momentum of the economy and a harbinger of what may happen in the future to the general state of the economy. 

I do not deny that the total GDP of China at the moment is much greater than India.  

• Forum Administrators
1 minute ago, baqar said:

I think it is also seen as the momentum of the economy and a harbinger of what may happen in the future to the general state of the economy.

But given the significant difference in overall size, unless India's growth rate is substantially larger than that of China, India will actually be falling further behind China.

• Veteran Member

Hello,

If completed, which I doubt, It will become known as "The Meth & Opiate Highway."

Lets see, one of the most corrupt nations on Earth leading a multi-national, multi-billion dollar project through one the most corrupt and unstable areas on Earth.  What could go wrong?  :grin:

All the Best,

David

• Moderators
15 hours ago, E.L King said:

China is going to defeat the United States when it comes to global economy.

Already has, as far as I can tell. Many countries will surpass it in the next few years.  

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, David66 said:

Hello,

If completed, which I doubt, It will become known as "The Meth & Opiate Highway."

Lets see, one of the most corrupt nations on Earth leading a multi-national, multi-billion dollar project through one the most corrupt and unstable areas on Earth.  What could go wrong?  :grin:

All the Best,

David

I do not think as an American you have a right to be ironical about drug trade but that is only my humble frustrated Muslim opinion.

• Veteran Member

^ Hello,

Why do I not have the right to make the comment?  And, I was not being ironic.  Chinese criminal groups are one of the largest producers of methamphetamine and the chemicals needed to make methamphetamine in the World.

China has become a hub for illicit drug consumption, drug and precursor chemical trafficking, and money laundering activities.”

China remains the primary source of the precursor chemicals used to manufacture methamphetamine consumed in the United States and is one of the world’s top producers and exporters of precursor chemicals,”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/29/the-china-drug-connection/

(The China connection, August 29, 2016 The Washington Times)

A more efficient route to the West will only aid this illicit trade.  Add to that the road passing through the region of the world where 90 percent of the Worlds opium poppy is grown and I think you will agree my characterization of the proposed road could well be accurate.

And, of course the United States and the rest of the "West" is part of the problem.  Typically, a person in the West can pay a more to get their fix.  And this influx of money is what helps fuel the drug trade.

All the Best,

David

• Forum Administrators
21 hours ago, David66 said:

Lets see, one of the most corrupt nations on Earth leading a multi-national, multi-billion dollar project through one the most corrupt and unstable areas on Earth.  What could go wrong?

The Soviet Union was building schools for girls in Afghanistan before the Americans helped the Mujahideen take the country back to the stone age.

So one of the things that could go wrong is the Americans and their Gulf allies encouraging ISIS to do the same.

• Veteran Member
10 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

The Soviet Union was building schools for girls in Afghanistan before the Americans helped the Mujahideen take the country back to the stone age.

So one of the things that could go wrong is the Americans and their Gulf allies encouraging ISIS to do the same.

Not accurate, l think.

Afghanistan and Kabul in particular were on the hippie-track in the 60s and 70s. Girls in Kabul were "very westernized" as compared to the Gulf and Central Asia. English was widely spoken. In the mid 70s there were 150+ thousand girls in middle and high school and over 5,000 female primary teachers. What limited Afghan education for about everyone was poor planning.

• Forum Administrators
9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Not accurate, l think.

Afghanistan and Kabul in particular were on the hippie-track in the 60s and 70s. Girls in Kabul were "very westernized" as compared to the Gulf and Central Asia. English was widely spoken. In the mid 70s there were 150+ thousand girls in middle and high school and over 5,000 female primary teachers. What limited Afghan education for about everyone was poor planning.

Well according to this paper whatever the status quo ex ante, post-1979 there were changes which had an impact:

In October 1978 a decree was issued with the explicit intention of ensuring equal rights for women. Minimum age of marriage was set at 16 for girls and 18 years for boys. The content of decree number 7 and the coercion of women into education were perceived by some as ìunbearable interference in domestic life.î (Hanne, 1990) 

Journal of International Womenís Studies Vol 4 #3 May 2003 

https://www.atria.nl/ezines/web/JournalofInternationalWomensStudies/2003/Vol4Nr3May/Afghanistan.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Not much info but a "about says it all" picture on page three:

Recent SCO meeting. China according to Xinhua is still back full lranian membership.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-06/11/c_136357431_3.htm 

link note: this goes to page 3, article on page one.

Edited by hasanhh
link note
  • Veteran Member
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, David66 said:

Hello,

All the Best,

David

After re-reading this thread, l have to wonder should David be nominated for the SC 2017 Optimist Award, or the 2017 SC Pessimist Award.

l do submit that he is a nominee for both.

• 1 year later...
  • Forum Administrators

It is easy to envisage a scenario in which militant attacks on Chinese projects overwhelm the Pakistani military and China decides to openly deploy the People’s Liberation Army to protect its people and assets. That is how “win-win” investment projects can quickly become the foundations of empire.

https://www.ft.com/content/186743b8-bb25-11e8-94b2-17176fbf93f5

Can imagine that in some circles the Sunni Jihadists might be being re-oriented towards an anti-China footing. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/186743b8-bb25-11e8-94b2-17176fbf93f5

Can imagine that in some circles the Sunni Jihadists might be being re-oriented towards an anti-China footing. 

l can't access the article because l do not subscribe.

lf the takfiris do re-orient towards China it will create bigger problems for the Uighers as China is currently pressing down on religious excesses on all groups.

• Forum Administrators
11 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

lf the takfiris do re-orient towards China it will create bigger problems for the Uighers as China is currently pressing down on religious excesses on all groups.

I think the people who may be considering promoting such a problem would consider that to be a win-win. Given the sanctions against Iran and its increasing dependence on China, any Chinese actions against Muslims would likely be used to delegitimise the Iranian government.

p.s. if you try and access the article via a google search that may let you in.

image.png

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Forum Administrators

A few posts above I referred to a story about potential terrorist attacks on Sino-Pakistani infrastructure. The new Pakistani Prime Minister seems to be ahead of the curve on that one:

"Saudi Arabia is the first country whom we have invited as third country partner in CPEC," Chaudhry said, referring to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), the Pakistan leg of China's vast Belt and Road infrastructure initiative.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/pakistan-saudi-arabia-imran-khan-china-belt-road-infrastructure-project-a8550566.html

• Veteran Member
  • 7 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Local media said the fighters stormed the Pearl Continental hotel in Gwadar just before 5pm local time on Saturday. Firing was still ongoing at 8pm, the assistant superintendent of police in the city told the Guardian. Security personnel cordoned off the area around the hotel.

Beijing has invested about $50bn in the port and in road links between Gwadar and China’s far-western Xinjiang province.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/11/armed-militants-storm-luxury-hotel-in-gwadar-Pakistan

• 9 months later...
  • Forum Administrators
On 5/18/2017 at 5:00 PM, David66 said:

Hello,

All the Best,

David

Pakistan and China on Thursday vowed to turn China-Pakistan Economic Corridor into world’s first drug-free corridor, linking the safety modules with Russia, Iran, Tajikistan and other regional trade routes.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/570747/Pakistan-china-pledge-to-turn-cpec-into-drug-free-corridor/

CPEC.jpg