Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Instruments in house?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam, I know Music and instruments are haram or some opinions differ where some say it depends on the type of music. I grew up where in school you had to learn music and than choose from playing instruments by itself or singing music when we got older in school. I read a hadith from Wasa'il ul-Shia recently that is making me nervous and putting me in a predicament.

Amir ul-Mu’minīn ‘Ali (a.s.) says,

“Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute. Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat.”7

I don't listen to or play Music anymore and only publicly played Music while being in middle school until I graduated highschool when it was required, so it's been years. Obviously I wasn't raised knowing this about instruments and never played publicly for myself but did play Music for myself (not singing) for many years as a hobby. I do have drums, 2 pianos, and 4 guitars in my house. What do I do? You're not supposed to sell them either I think Ayatollah Shirazi says.. As long as they are put away and not being used am I ok? I usually don't ask questions here, but I think I need more dialouge with fellow Shia since I have many other questions that are not clear cut...Shukran

• Advanced Member

Alaikum salam

The Holy Prophet (S) has stated,

“A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyāma will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player.”9

Mustadrak ul-Wasa’il

On 5/9/2017 at 0:48 PM, Brahim said:

Salam, I know Music and instruments are haram or some opinions differ where some say it depends on the type of music. I grew up where in school you had to learn music and than choose from playing instruments by itself or singing music when we got older in school. I read a hadith from Wasa'il ul-Shia recently that is making me nervous and putting me in a predicament.

“Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute. Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat.”7

I don't listen to or play Music anymore and only publicly played Music while being in middle school until I graduated highschool when it was required, so it's been years. Obviously I wasn't raised knowing this about instruments and never played publicly for myself but did play Music for myself (not singing) for many years as a hobby. I do have drums, 2 pianos, and 4 guitars in my house. What do I do? You're not supposed to sell them either I think Ayatollah Shirazi says.. As long as they are put away and not being used am I ok? I usually don't ask questions here, but I think I need more dialouge with fellow Shia since I have many other questions that are not clear cut...Shukran

Yes, containing musical instruments is haram...

• Advanced Member

This is the ruling from the website of Ayatollah Sayed Sadiq Shirazi (may Allāh lengthen his life), when it says that buying musical instruments is haram, it probably means that having them is haram:

Question: Is music Halaal or Haraam in Islam?

According to the clear hadith from the infallible Imams (AS), Music is Haraam. On this basis, the Fatwa (decree) of Ayatollah Imam Muhammad Shirazi is that Music is Haraam. This includes listening to music, playing musical instruments, and buying or selling such instruments. Any kind of music, which would be in the category of being "moving" music, is Haraam. Furthermore, the music that could be categorised as "not moving", but played by the same or similar instruments, is also Haraam. In short, music is Haraam whether or not it could be categorised as "moving". Along the same line, the "music of the human voice", i.e. singing, even without the playing of musical instruments, is also Haraam. This is so, to the extent that even if the Qur'an is recited in a "singing" manner, this action is regarded as Haraam. Needles to say, in Islam one is encouraged, according to many hadith, to recite the Qur'an in the "best manner" to the extent that the listener would be touched by it, and that listening to this recitation would create humility in one's heart before Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. But this is different from when one is "singing" the Qur'an. It may be asked, "How do we differentiate between the singing of the Qur'an and the recitation or TILAWAH of the Qur'an?" The answer is this is determined by the 'URF which is the "common definition amongst the public" or the "general consensus". If the recitation of the Qur'an is seen as "recitation" and "TILAWAH" then it is Halaal, and if it is seen and regarded as "singing", then that singing of the Qur'an is Haraam. Some may call the sound of sea waves, waterfall, willowing wind, etc. to be music. If this is the case then this kind of "music" is Halaal! Provided that it is not accompanied by the conventional singing or the playing of conventional musical instrument(s).
  • Advanced Member

Thank you for your response brother. I haven't touched the instruments in a long time, but ignorance in my youth has led me to this situation where I'm living in a house full of instruments put away gathering dust. I usually follow rulings from Sayed Sistani, but Sayed Shirazi's ruling makes sense. I have to say it is a very confusing situation for me since Sayed Sistani and others say some types of music are allowed as long as it's not for entertainment, like songs to "boost morale for soldiers." So if some say certain songs are allowed and not for entertainment, it is just a vague or confusing statement for me..... I'm not trying to listen to or play anything, I'm just worried of possessing the instruments.....Salaam

On 5/9/2017 at 3:48 AM, Brahim said:

There are various different opinions on music and the strongest opinion is that it is allowed if used positively.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-9 at 6:48 AM, Brahim said:

Firstly all instruments are forbidden except the drum, a base drum is okay and secondly Angels are with you wherever you go as they have to record your deeds so you have to be careful because this is probably a weak hadith. As a precaution get rid of those instruments and if your unable to do so then dont play them at all as its forbidden. 

• Moderators

Music therapy is allowed, including singing and playing or listening to instruments, to treat illness or disability, according to Sayyid Sistani. I asked him myself when the doctors and school recommended music therapy for my non-verbal five year old son, but it was a long time ago and I no longer have a copy of the signed fatwa. 

Send a detailed question to your marja. Rulings on music and musical instruments vary widely.