Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest JasmineFlower786

Husband doesn't do taqleed :(

Rate this topic

Guest JasmineFlower786

How do i convince my husband to start taqleed? He doesn't care about it and consider it a non issue:(

Salaam sister, 

Show him this 2 narrations

The tenth Imam, Ali Al-Hadi (S) said: "After the occultation of your Qa'im a group of the 'ulemah will call upon people to believe in al-Qa'im's imamah and defend his religion by using proofs sent by Allah, so that they might save the weak minded faithful from either the deceptions of Shaitan or the deceptions of those opposed to Ali" (Al-Ihtijaj, Al-Tabrasi, vol 2, p 260)

In reply to a question Ishaq Ibn Yaq'ub had sent to the Imam (AF) via the second deputy: "As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our hadiths, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof over them" (Al-Ihtijaj, Al-Tabrasi, vol 2, p 260, Al-'Amili, Wasail Al-Shia, vol 18, p 101, Bihar Al-Anwar, Al-Majlisi vol 53, p 181)

Who are he to not do taqleed has he diplom in Islam does he know everything about Islam its funny how nowadays people say we dont do taqleed and can't arabic even May Allah Swt guide them and me Ameen :)

As long as his practice of Islam is in line with the rulings of scholars, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. There are bigger issues to worry about both in Islam and in marriage.

What does he do when he needs to find out if something is allowed or not?

Guest JasmineFlower786
On 08/05/2017 at 8:30 PM, Haydar Husayn said:

As long as his practice of Islam is in line with the rulings of scholars, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. There are bigger issues to worry about both in Islam and in marriage.

What does he do when he needs to find out if something is allowed or not?

He just reads books on his own. They are in Arabic which i don't speak, so i don't know if they are any good or not. I tried reasoning with him that can we just read medical books and stop going to doctors, but he just changes the topic saying that discussing such things requires a certain level of prior knowledge and there is no common frame of reference between us so it will result in a meaningless never-ending argument. Although i know he is wrong and really want to guide him because i love him very deeply, but i just feel so helpless because of his such attitude :(

5 minutes ago, Guest JasmineFlower786 said:

He just reads books on his own. They are in Arabic which i don't speak, so i don't know if they are any good or not. I tried reasoning with him that can we just read medical books and stop going to doctors, but he just changes the topic saying that discussing such things requires a certain level of prior knowledge and there is no common frame of reference between us so it will result in a meaningless never-ending argument. Although i know he is wrong and really want to guide him because i love him very deeply, but i just feel so helpless because of his such attitude :(

I wouldn't worry too much sister, unless you have noticed him practicing Islam in a way that you think is incorrect. I'm sure he reads the rulings of scholars. And you never know, maybe he is right about certain things.

Out of interest, does he attend majlis?

Guest JasmineFlower786
On 12/05/2017 at 6:15 PM, Haydar Husayn said:

I wouldn't worry too much sister, unless you have noticed him practicing Islam in a way that you think is incorrect. I'm sure he reads the rulings of scholars. And you never know, maybe he is right about certain things.

Out of interest, does he attend majlis?

He didn't use to attend before marriage. Only after marriage he attends due to my insistence. In fact he only goes basically just to pick and drop me, so he just happens to end up attending. When i told him to attend as we get to learn so much from lectures and that is why we know so much more than sunnis, but he just rolled his eyes and was like yeah watever.

The purpose of taqleed is to make things easier for us. If he wants to find his answers through his own research, as long as he's not doing anything too far out of line I don't see any reason to worry about it. Just keep doing what you are doing, and maybe your good example will influence him. 

4 hours ago, Guest JasmineFlower786 said:

He didn't use to attend before marriage. Only after marriage he attends due to my insistence. In fact he only goes basically just to pick and drop me, so he just happens to end up attending. When i told him to attend as we get to learn so much from lectures and that is why we know so much more than sunnis, but he just rolled his eyes and was like yeah watever.

Apart from his slightly extreme views on women, I like the sound of your husband. He seems like a good person, although perhaps he rolls his eyes a bit too much at what you say.

I would suggest that you try to understand your husband's point of view, and don't just assume he is wrong. You don't have to agree with him on everything, but don't assume from the start that he is wrong about everything either. At the moment you sound very far apart in your views, but although he may be a bit too extreme in some respects, I also think, without meaning any disrespect, that you may also have a slightly naive view of Shia Islam, and perhaps could learn from your husband, who you have said yourself is intelligent and does he own research. Perhaps if you can understand him better, and develop more respect for his approach to religion, then he may be more willing to take your views into consideration.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:05 PM, Guest JasmineFlower786 said:

How do i convince my husband to start taqleed? He doesn't care about it and consider it a non issue:(

Does he go to the doctor when he is sick?

Or does he go to a lawyer when he needs legal advice?

If he takes his religion seriously, then he will take expert advice on religious law.