user5000

Will we ever "see" god

Rate this topic

To keep it short, will we ever see Allah? On the day of judgment when we are brought forward to Allah and its just you and him. Will you physically "see" him? And what if someone makes it to Jannah, will they also see him there? Surely, this is probably the greatest thing any human could ever think of or ask for, to see the most exalted, the one who created you.

But then again,

"Vision perceives Him notbut He perceives [allvision; and He is the Subtle, the Acquainted."  6:103

Ive heard things like the angels carrying out commands on the day of judgment, for instance, the person is brought forward and he is asked such and such, and if he answers falsely, god says "you lied", in turn the angels say "you lied". Does this mean he hears the commands from the angels, rather than directly from god?

I love Yasir Qadhi allot, but some of his views differ from ours, I saw this video recently by him and it was quite moving. But can it be true? The face of Allah? Isn't this metaphorical, whereas Yasir took it literally. Check the video out.

Edited by Bazzi_

I am curious too. In the Sunni books, they have it that we will see Allah swt ( May God forbid ).

This is not the case. The quran verse you quoted is 100% correct. Vision percieves him not. Our eyes cannot comprehend his beauty even.

Sayyidna Ibrahim (a.s) melted when he asked to see Allah.

https://www.imamreza.net/eng/imamreza.php?id=1233 Salam, this site shows a debate with an atheist, who asks the same question.

The Imam debates with an Atheist
An atheist, experienced in atheism and unbelief, hurried to attend Ima`m al-Rida`'s session in which was a group of people. The Ima`m turned to the atheist and asked him: "Do you see that if the correct view is your view and it is not your view then are we not equal? All that we have prayed, fasted, given the alms and declared of our convictions will not harm us?" 
The atheist kept silence because of this undeniable argument, for if the matter was as the atheists said that there was no god, then prayer and fasting would not harm the monotheists. 
After that the Ima`m added, saying: "If the correct view is our view¾and it is our view then have you not perished and we gained salvation?" 
The Imam wanted to say that if the atheists came to know that there was Almighty Creator, they would be perished, bring disgrace on themselves, and face a painful punishment. As for the 
believers and the pious, they would be successful. 
The atheist asked the Ima`m, peace be on him, the following questions: 
Q1: "May Allah have mercy on, let me know how is He (Allah) and where is He?" 
Ans. 1: "Surely the opinion you have adopted is mistaken. He (Allah) determined the 'where' and he was when there was no where; He fashioned the 'how' and He was when there was no 'how'. So He is not known through 'howness' or 'whereness' or through any form of sense perception; nor can He be gauged by anything." 
Indeed Allah is the Light of the heavens and earth, for it is impossible for Him to be distinguished by the 'where', 'how' and the rest qualities of the possible being who will perish sooner or later. As for Allah, the Glorified, He is not perceived by the senses; nor is He gauged by anything. 
Q2: "So then He is nothing if He cannot be perceived by any of the senses?" 
Ans. 2: "Woe unto you! When your senses fail to perceive Him, you deny His lordship. But when our senses fail to perceive Him, we know for certain that He is our Lord and that He is something different from other things." 
The perception of the senses is limited in quantity and quality as well as the senses do not perceive many possible beings. For example, they do not perceive the reality of soul, then how do they perceive the Necessary Being, the Exalted, the Holy? 
Q3: "Tell me, when He was?" 
Ans. 4: "Tell me when He was not, and then I will tell you when He was." 
The Imam, peace be on him, criticized the atheist for his question, for Allah, the Exalted is a brilliant reality which every one comprehends through His signs, His great creation, and His marvelous creatures. He is in every stage of existence, and it is impossible to say: "When He was?" 
Q4: "Then what is the proof of Him?" 
Ans. 4: "Surely when I contemplate my body and it is impossible for me to increase or decrease its breadth and height, or to keep unpleasant things away from it or draw benefits to it, then I know that this structure has a maker and I acknowledge Him even though that which I had seen of the rotation of the celestial sphere through His power, the producing of clouds; the turning about of the winds; the procession of the sun, the moon and the stars; and others of his wondrous and perfectly created signs, had already made me know that (all) this has a Determiner and Producer." 
Surely, every atom of this world is a proof of the existence of the great Creator, who has made them. 
If man carefully considers his own body and the wonderful systems and cells wherein, he will certainly believe in Allah, the Most High, just as it has been mentioned in the tradition: "He who knows his own body knows his Lord." Allah, the Exalted, created man in the best manner. It is impossible that there is increase or decrease in his organs. It is well know that this surprisingly accurate creation of man is evidence for the existence of Allah, for effect is proof of cause as logicians say. 
Among the signs of Allah are the rotation of the celestial sphere, the producing of clouds; the turning about of the winds; the procession of the sun and the moon. He, the Exalted, says: "Neither it is allowable to the sun that it should overtake the moon, nor can the night outstrip the day; and all float on in a sphere." Glory belongs to Allah! Many signs are evidence for His existence. 
Q5: "Then why does the sense of sight not perceive Him?" 
Ans. 5: "Because of the difference between Him and His creatures, who are perceived by the vision of the eyes, whether their own or others. Then He is greater than that sight should perceive Him, imagination encompass Him, or the power of reason delineate Him." 
The sense of sight and rest of man's senses are limited, then how can they, perceive, see, and encompass the Almighty Creator? Rather they perceive and comprehend some possible beings. 
Q6: "Then define His limits for me." 
Ans. 6: "He has no limits." Limitation belongs to possible beings. As for the Necessary Being, it is impossible for Him to be limited. 
Q7: "Why?" 
Ans. 7: "Because every limited thing ends at a limit. If limitation is possible, then increase is possible. If increase is possible, then decrease is possible. So He is unlimited. He neither increases nor decreases. Nor is He capable of being divided or imagined." 
The Ima`m, peace be on him, provided evidence of that it was impossible for man to define the limits of the Almighty Necessary Being. That is because limitation, as we have mentioned, is one of the qualities of the possible beings. 
Q8: "Then tell me about your saying that He is Subtle, Hearing, Seeing, Knowing, and Wise. Can He be the Hearing without ears, the Seeing without eyes, the Subtle without working with the hands and the Wise without workmanship (san'a)?" 
Ans. 8: "Surely a person among us is subtle in accordance with (his) skill in workmanship. Have you not seen the man who undertakes a task and is subtle in his handling of it, so that it is said: 'How subtle is so and so!' Then how should it not be said of the Majestic Creator that He is subtle, when He creates a subtle and majestic creation, places in its living creatures their souls, creates every kind different in form from its own kind, and none resembles another? Each possesses in the composition of its form a subtlety from the Subtle and Aware Creator. 
"Then we look upon the trees and their bearing of delicate things, whether edible or inedible, and we said at that: 'Surely our Creator is Subtle, (but) not like the subtlety of His creatures in their workmanship.' And we said: 'Surely He is Hearing, for not hidden from Him are the sounds of His creatures between the Throne and the earth, from a mote to what is larger than it, and in the land and the sea. And their words are not confused by Him.' At that we said: 'Surely He is Hearing, but not through ears.' 
"Then we said: 'Surely He is Seeing, but not through eyes, for He sees the trace of a black speck on a dark night on a black stone. He sees the tracks of an ant on a pitch-black night. He sees what is harmful for it and what beneficial, and the result of its cohabitation, and its young and descendants.' And at that we said: 'Surely He is Seeing, but not like the sight of His creatures. "

If what we mean by seeing God is seeing Him through the outer physical eye, it something totally ruled out both by the intellect and Islamic sources.

The intellect: the action of seeing takes place only when things are exposed to light beams and their reflection is captured by the eye. This means that there should firstly be an external thing present and secondly it should be captured by the eye in the field of vision. Based on this we cannot see things which are behind us, whereas God is not a physical entity and He does not have the physical features of a physical being. Therefore He can not be seen with the naked eye.

Islamic sources: There are verses in the Holy Quran and traditions which stipulate the impossibility of seeing God.

a) The Holy Quran says:

1 - O Moses you can never see me.[1]

2 – The eyes cannot see Him.[2]

b) Traditions: "God never appears before the eyes"[3]

"The eyes have never seen you"[4] and “The eyes will never see him openly”[5]

But if what we mean by seeing God is seeing Him through an inner witnessing and witnessing the light of the names and attributes of God in the heart, within the limits that human beings have then it is possible. Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã says: "Hearts can perceive Him".[6] In another tradition he says to Za'lab: "Shame on you! Eyes cannot see Him but the hearts can."[7]

[1] Surah Aaraaf, Verse 143

[2] Surah Anaam, Verse 103

[3] Nahjul Balagha sermon: 49

[4] Nahjul Balagha sermon: 109

[5] Nahjul Balagha sermon: 179

[6] Nahjul Balagha sermon: 179

[7] Mizan Al Hekmat, Vol. 6, P. 190, Hadith: 12095

Source: http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa1748

Contention one: Can we see Allah swt, comprehend him or limit him in our knowledge?

Bukhari

9.530:

The Prophet said, "You will definitely see your Lord with your own eyes."

9.531:

Allah’s Apostle came out to us on the night of the full moon and said, "You will see your Lord on the Day of Resurrection as you see this (full moon) and you will have no difficulty in seeing Him."

Al Kafi

H 261, Ch. 9, h 10- Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

"I asked Imam abul Hassan al-Rida (a.s.), about Allah if He can be described (defined in words). The Imam (a.s.) said, "Have you not read the Quran?" I replied, "Yes, I do read the Quran." He then said, "Have you not read the words of Allah, the Most High, "No mortal eyes can see Him, but He can see all eyes. He is All-kind and All-aware." (6:103) I replied, "Yes, I have read them." The Imam (a.s.) said, "Do they know the meaning of the eyes?" I replied, "Yes, they do." The Imam (a.s.) said, "What is it?" I replied, " It means seeing with the eyes." Then the Imam said, the Awham(mentioned above) of the heart is far greater comprehensive in knowledge than eye-witnessing. It is not able to comprehend Him but He comprehends all things.

(One paragraph taken from the hadith) H 253, Ch. 9, h 2  Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

The Imam said, "How can a person who brought such messages to all creatures and told them

that he has brought such messages from Allah and called them to Allah by His commands and said, "The eyes can not comprehend Him." (6:103) "They can not limit Him through their knowledge." (20:110) "There is nothing similar to Him." (42:11), then he would say, "I saw Him with my own eyes? I did limit Him in my knowledge and that He is similar to a man? Should you not be ashamed of yourselves? Even the atheist have not said that the Prophet first brought one thing from Allah and then announced from Him other things contrary to the first."

Contention two- Does Allah change states, or undergo change?

Bukhari:

"...What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation..."

Al Kafi

H 313, Ch. 16, h 4 – Graded Sahih by Alama Majlisi

The Imam said, "There is nothing in the universe, but that is subject to annihilation, alteration, change, decay, transition from one color to another, from one shape to another and from one quality to another. They increase, decrease and change from decrease to increase, except He, Who is the Lord of the worlds. He alone is eternal and in one state. He is the first, before every thing and the last eternally. His attributes and names do not change as they do in the case of others. A man at one time is dust, at other time flesh and blood, then turns into decaying bones and finally becomes dust. A piece of date  at one time is raw, at another time ripe, mature and then it dries up. With every change, the names and attributes also change. Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious is different from all such things."

Contention three: Does Allah swt have a form?

Bukhari:

"...What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation..."

Al Kafi:
Graded Muwathaq
He said: I said to Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: I heard Hisham b. al-Hakam narrate from you that Allah has a body, supported by light, His recognition is necessary and He bestows this [knowledge] upon whom He wills from the creation. So he عليه السلام said: Glorified be He, whom no one knows how He is except Himself. There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the Hearing, the Seeing. He cannot be limited, nor can He be felt, nor can He be moved, nor can He be comprehended [by sight, nor by] the senses, nor can He be contained in anything, nor does He have a body, nor does He have a form, nor a figure, nor a confine. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 278)

Contention : Does Allah swt move position?

Bukhari:

1145( Abu Hurairah)

“The Lord (Allah swt) descends every night to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains and says: ‘Who will call upon Me, that I may answer Him? Who will ask of Me, that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness, that I may forgive him?’”

Man Lā Yaḥḍuruh al-Faqīh, Graded sahih by alama majlisi

‘O son of the Messenger of Allāh, what do you say about the ḥadīth which the people narrate from the Messenger of Allāh, that he said: ‘Allāh descends in every night of Friday (i.e. Thursday night) to the earth’s heavens’’.

He said: ‘May Allāh curse (la`na) those who distort the words from its place, by Allāh, the Messenger of Allāh has not said that! Verily, he said: ‘Allāh) sends down an angel to the earth’s heavens in the last third of every night, and the first part of the night of Friday (i.e. Thursday night). And He commands him to call, ‘Are there any (who) asks, so that I can grant him?’; ‘Are there any repenters that I should forgive him?’;..."

I conclude with the following excerpt of a hadith:

He said: A man came to Abu’l Hasan ar-Rida عليه السلام from beyond the Balkh river and said: I will ask you a question, if your answer to me is the same as that which is with me [i will accept your cause]. So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Ask whatever you wish. So he said: Inform me about your Lord, when did He come into being? And how is His state? And upon what thing does He rely? So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Allah تبارك وتعالى was there before there was a “there”, and He was being before there was a “how”, and His reliance is upon His power. So the man rose to him and kissed his head, and said: I bear witness that there is no god except Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and that `Ali is the deputy of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله and the succeeding upholder of what the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله established, and that you are the righteous Imams and the successors after them. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 233) Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

This quote of Imam Ali(as) from nahjul balagha says it all:

"The foremost in religion is the acknowledgement of Him, the perfection of acknowledging Him is to testify Him, the perfection of testifying Him is to believe in His Oneness, the perfection of believing in His Oneness is to regard Him Pure, and the perfection of His purity is to deny Him attributes, because every attribute is a proof that it is different from that to which it is attributed and everything to which something is attributed is different from the attribute.

Thus whoever attaches attributes to Allah recognises His like, and whoever recognises His like regards Him two; and whoever regards Him as two recognises parts for Him; and whoever recognises parts for Him mistook Him; and whoever mistook Him pointed at Him; and whoever pointed at Him admitted limitations for Him; and whoever admitted limitations for Him numbered Him. Whoever said: ‘In what is He?’, held that He is contained; and whoever said: ‘On what is He?’, held He is not on something else."

1 hour ago, amirhosein_88 said:

If what we mean by seeing God is seeing Him through the outer physical eye, it something totally ruled out both by the intellect and Islamic sources.

The intellect: the action of seeing takes place only when things are exposed to light beams and their reflection is captured by the eye. This means that there should firstly be an external thing present and secondly it should be captured by the eye in the field of vision. Based on this we cannot see things which are behind us, whereas God is not a physical entity and He does not have the physical features of a physical being. Therefore He can not be seen with the naked eye.

Islamic sources: There are verses in the Holy Quran and traditions which stipulate the impossibility of seeing God.

a) The Holy Quran says:

But if what we mean by seeing God is seeing Him through an inner witnessing and witnessing the light of the names and attributes of God in the heart, within the limits that human beings have then it is possible. Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã says: "Hearts can perceive Him".[6] In another tradition he says to Za'lab: "Shame on you! Eyes cannot see Him but the hearts can."[7]

I too have heard something like this, along the lines at least. That if someone enters paradise, the "veils" of truth and deception will be uncovered. Realization will then dawn upon man.

49 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

This quote of Imam Ali(as) from nahjul balagha says it all:

"The foremost in religion is the acknowledgement of Him, the perfection of acknowledging Him is to testify Him, the perfection of testifying Him is to believe in His Oneness, the perfection of believing in His Oneness is to regard Him Pure, and the perfection of His purity is to deny Him attributes, because every attribute is a proof that it is different from that to which it is attributed and everything to which something is attributed is different from the attribute.

Thus whoever attaches attributes to Allah recognises His like, and whoever recognises His like regards Him two; and whoever regards Him as two recognises parts for Him; and whoever recognises parts for Him mistook Him; and whoever mistook Him pointed at Him; and whoever pointed at Him admitted limitations for Him; and whoever admitted limitations for Him numbered Him. Whoever said: ‘In what is He?’, held that He is contained; and whoever said: ‘On what is He?’, held He is not on something else."

1 hour ago, amirhosein_88 said:

a) The Holy Quran says:

1 hour ago, Hussaini624 said:

I am curious too. In the Sunni books, they have it that we will see Allah swt ( May God forbid ).

This is not the case. The quran verse you quoted is 100% correct. Vision percieves him not. Our eyes cannot comprehend his beauty even.

Sayyidna Ibrahim (a.s) melted when he asked to see Allah.

This is a reply from an agnostic guy, NOT from me. But his answer to who/what god is, is very similar to the answers I'm seeing here........kind of?

quote;

"Max Planck said this: “As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clearheaded science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about the atoms this much: There is no matter as such! All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particles of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. . . . We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” Now, Max Planck has done more research than you or I have, or will ever do. Many pioneers in science like Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Erwin Schrodinger, Paul Dirac, all came to the conclusion that SOMETHING intelligent beyond our comprehension exists behind the scenes. Now, they aren’t really saying it’s a God in the Christian sense, where it’s a man living above the clouds, but rather an extremely unfathomable FORCE of nature, a kind of consciousness that exists on a plane infinitely beyond what our senses can perceive. And this intelligent “mind” is everything. It’s EVERYTHING. We are all really just atoms that take solid form, but the FORCE that holds our atoms together….THAT is “God”. Even Albert Einstein, an atheist, supported this kind of “God” and not a personal one. So, why does “God” allow people to do bad things, because you are thinking of God as some PERSON, or sentient being that acts and thinks like some mortal being. We have an innate blueprint to do whatever we want, just like how this “supreme consciousness” expressed it’s own free will by bringing the universe in existence, therefore, it’s manifested forms (humans) can enact this same power….free-will to do whatever we want. Some do good, some do bad."

Al Kafi

H 261, Ch. 9, h 10- Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

"I asked Imam abul Hassan al-Rida (a.s.), about Allah if He can be described (defined in words). The Imam (a.s.) said, "Have you not read the Quran?" I replied, "Yes, I do read the Quran." He then said, "Have you not read the words of Allah, the Most High, "No mortal eyes can see Him, but He can see all eyes. He is All-kind and All-aware." (6:103) I replied, "Yes, I have read them." The Imam (a.s.) said, "Do they know the meaning of the eyes?" I replied, "Yes, they do." The Imam (a.s.) said, "What is it?" I replied, " It means seeing with the eyes." Then the Imam said, the Awham(mentioned above) of the heart is far greater comprehensive in knowledge than eye-witnessing. It is not able to comprehend Him but He comprehends all things.

(One paragraph taken from the hadith) H 253, Ch. 9, h 2  Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

The Imam said, "How can a person who brought such messages to all creatures and told them

that he has brought such messages from Allah and called them to Allah by His commands and said, "The eyes can not comprehend Him." (6:103) "They can not limit Him through their knowledge." (20:110) "There is nothing similar to Him." (42:11), then he would say, "I saw Him with my own eyes? I did limit Him in my knowledge and that He is similar to a man? Should you not be ashamed of yourselves? Even the atheist have not said that the Prophet first brought one thing from Allah and then announced from Him other things contrary to the first."

2 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

@Qa'im @shiaman14 @Marbles

Wanna weigh in?

Salaam brother,

If you see Him, you contain Him. He who can be contained, cannot be Allah.

Also, the Prophet was with bow length in Meraj and still didn't see him so for us -  not possible. 

Now, can we feel him????

21 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Salaam brother,

If you see Him, you contain Him. He who can be contained, cannot be Allah.

Also, the Prophet was with bow length in Meraj and still didn't see him so for us -  not possible. 

Now, can we feel him????

Doesn't that fall into "sensing". And the senses can't perceive him either, right?

4 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Wanna weigh in?

As has been said in the thread, the eyes cannot perceive Allah nor can the imagination comprehend Him, because that would limit Him. Imam al-Hadi (as) has a tradition that says, if we were able to see Allah, that would mean that we would share the same setting as Him, which would be tashbeeh.

Rather, the hadiths are clear that the reality of Allah will be seen with the hearts. The hearts of the believers with "see" Him, meaning, they will know Him, recognize Him, and know that He is One and All-Powerful. Otherwise, our lack of comprehension of Him is our comprehension of Him. True monotheism is to know that His essence is a mystery.

A tradition from Imam ar-Rida (as) indicates that our "seeing" of Allah in heaven is our seeing the Prophet and the Ahl al-Bayt, because they are the Face of Allah - the ones through whom God is recognized and come to, the representatives of God. Our ma`rifa of the Imam is tied to our ma`rifa of Allah, because the Imam is the ultimate theophany.

@Bazzi_

Following on from what brother Qa'im has said, there is a hadith from the Imam [as] on this issue:

وعنه، عن أحمد بن إسحاق قال: كتبت إلى أبي الحسن الثالث عليه السلام أسأله عن الرؤية وما اختلف فيه الناس فكتب: لا تجوز الرؤية، ما لم يكن بين الرائي والمرئي هواء [ لم ] ينفذه البصر فإذا انقطع الهواء عن الرائي والمرئي لم تصح الرؤية، وكان في ذلك الاشتباه، لان الرائي متى ساوى المرئي في السبب الموجب بينهما في الرؤية وجب الاشتباه وكان ذلك التشبيه لان الاسباب لابد من اتصالها بالمسببات.

And from him from Ahmad b. Idris.

He said: I wrote to Abu’l Hasan the Third عليه السلام and I asked him about seeing Him and the differences among the people regarding it. So he wrote: Seeing Him is impossible, for there must be air (hawa’) between the perceiver and the perceived, or his sight will not be operational. If air is cut from the perceiver and the perceived, then seeing Him is invalidated. And in this there is alikeness (tashbeeh), for when the perceiver and the perceived have the same medium, alikeness must exist between them. And that is alikeness, for the means must have a connection with the source. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 257)

(sahih) (صحيح)
Edited by QuranandAhlulbayt

Bazzi, to see something, it would need to be in the same medium as you are, and you have to share an alikeness. You must both be 'contained' in that medium, something must eminate from what you see in that medium, travel through it, and come to your own eyes.

Allah [azwj] does not have a form or confine, nor can he be contained in anything. He is the one who gave forms, so how can he, himself have a form? He is the one who created space, mediums, confines - nothing existed coeternally with him, and hence he can not be limited and confined to what he himself created.

The hadith from the Imam [as] above is absolutely stunning.

think of numbers. since we are shia I will use the number 5 as an example

when you write the number "5", is that the actual number 5, or a symbol representing it?

no matter where you go in the universe, at any point in time in creation, the number 5 exists and can be represented. it has value and attributes. 

will we ever "see" the number 5, even though it exists? nope. 

fun fact: Pythagoras was a member of a cult that worshipped numbers, so they thought Allah was actually numbers. because (they believed) every description of allahs attributes could be applied to numbers. 

the reason we have non shia hadith saying that we will "see" Allah is because greek/ roman religious beliefs somehow seeped into the non shia madhabs. the hadiths describing how Allah will look (right down to his wearing a white toga) are just descriptions of zeus/ apollo with the name changed to Allah. 

إِلَى رَبِّهَا نَاظِرَةٌ
Looking to their Lord (75:23)

Problem originates from the translation & tafseer of this verse.

Another meaning of "nathiratun" is "Wait or Waiting". For instance, what it means in the following verse:

وَإِنِّي مُرْسِلَةٌ إِلَيْهِم بِهَدِيَّةٍ فَنَاظِرَةٌ بِمَ يَرْجِعُ الْمُرْسَلُونَ
And surely I am going to send a present to them, and shall wait to see what (answer) do the apostles bring back (27:35)

It is very clear from Quran & from the traditions of Ahlulbayt (a.s) that we cannot see Allah, neither here nor in the hereafter. 

14 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

"Vision perceives Him notbut He perceives [allvision; and He is the Subtle, the Acquainted."  6:103

One can however, see Him (His existence) through His creation, with the eyes of the heart, because:

وَهُوَ مَعَكُمْ أَيْنَ مَا كُنتُمْ
And He is with you wherever you may be (57:4)

12 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Doesn't that fall into "sensing". And the senses can't perceive him either, right?

Senses are seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, smelling. None of our 5 senses can accomodate Allah for if they did, they would contain Allah.

As brother @Qa'im put it,

12 hours ago, Qa'im said:

Rather, the hadiths are clear that the reality of Allah will be seen with the hearts. The hearts of the believers with "see" Him, meaning, they will know Him, recognize Him, and know that He is One and All-Powerful. Otherwise, our lack of comprehension of Him is our comprehension of Him. True monotheism is to know that His essence is a mystery.

This means you can feel Allah's presence but never with our limited 5 senses.

Also, each of the 5 senses has limited capacity. There is only so much that we can see, hear, smell, taste, touch but feelings are infinite. And so we can feel Allah but never sense him.