Rate this topic

Salaam,

A few of us were discussing music on chat and I happened to mentioned that "all stringed instruments are haram". A couple of brothers wanted to know the source.

I found this Greater Sin: Music which mentions guitar. I cant find the source that expanded on this further and mentioned that instruments like duff and wind-based ones are permissible but stringed instruments are not.

Can anyone provide reference or correct me?

@Ron_Burgundy

@Gaius I. Caesar

@Heavenly_Silk

tagging the few who were discussing this for their input.

I'm guessing you are looking for a sayed Sistani ruling here, but I'll show you what Imam Khamenei has to say:

To Use Musical Instruments
By itself, there is no objection to using musical instruments to play tunes for revolutionary chanting, religious programs or carrying out useful cultural educational activities.
Also, learning and teaching playing music as well as selling and buying musical instruments for the above mentioned causes are no problem.

Musical Instruments in Mourning Ceremonies
Using musical instruments is inappropriate for the commemoration ceremonies of the Master of Martyrs (a.s.). It is preferable to hold commemoration ceremonies in the traditional way. However, there is no harm in using drums or cymbals in the traditional way.

To Play Tambourine
The rule on playing tambourine depends on how to use it. It is ḥarām to play it in a lahwī manner suitable for sinful merrymaking gatherings. As far as religious ceremonies/occasions are concerned, the sanctity and status of Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.) sould be observed.

Based on those rulings, the conclusion is if you use any instruments with the purpose to play it in a lawhi manner suitable for sinful gatherings it's impermissible, but any other purpose it's permissible.

27 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

I'm guessing you are looking for a sayed Sistani ruling here, but I'll show you what Imam Khamenei has to say:

To Use Musical Instruments
By itself, there is no objection to using musical instruments to play tunes for revolutionary chanting, religious programs or carrying out useful cultural educational activities.
Also, learning and teaching playing music as well as selling and buying musical instruments for the above mentioned causes are no problem.

Musical Instruments in Mourning Ceremonies
Using musical instruments is inappropriate for the commemoration ceremonies of the Master of Martyrs (a.s.). It is preferable to hold commemoration ceremonies in the traditional way. However, there is no harm in using drums or cymbals in the traditional way.

To Play Tambourine
The rule on playing tambourine depends on how to use it. It is ḥarām to play it in a lahwī manner suitable for sinful merrymaking gatherings. As far as religious ceremonies/occasions are concerned, the sanctity and status of Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.) sould be observed.

Based on those rulings, the conclusion is if you use any instruments with the purpose to play it in a lawhi manner suitable for sinful gatherings it's impermissible, but any other purpose it's permissible.

Thank you brother. Ayatollah Sistani seems stricter:

Question & Answer » Music

Question: Is it permissible to listen to revolutionary songs accompanied by sounds of piano, lute, drum, wind-pipe, and electronic piano?
Answer: If the music accompanying it is that which is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, it is not permissible to listen to it.

2Question: Is it permissible to listen to religious songs in praise of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) that are accompanied with music?
Answer: Songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm absolutely. However, singing praise [of the Prophet or the Ahlul Bayt] that is sung with a good tune but is not in ghinã’ form is without problem.
As for the music, it would be allowed, if it is not suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

3Question: Just as many questions are asked about halãl and harãm music, many questions are asked about halãl and harãm songs. Is it correct to say that harãm songs are those that arouse sexual, lustful urges and promote unstable and degrading behaviour? Is it correct to say that songs that do not arouse lustful desires, but elevate the souls and thoughts to lofty levels like religious songs of praise dedicated to the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) and the Imams (a.s.), or the songs that lift the spirits and morale [of the fighters] and the like are halãl songs?
Answer: All songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm. Based on the definition that we accept, al-ghinã’ is the entertaining expression by way of tunes that are common to those who provide entertainment and amusement. In this prohibition, we should include the recitation of the Holy Qur’ãn, supplications (du‘ãs), and songs of praise of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) uttered to the accompaniment of those tunes [that are used by the entertainers]. The prohibition of reciting other non-entertaining expressions —like songs intended to lift the morale [of fighters]— is based on compulsory precaution. However, the tune that cannot be described as such is not harãm by itself.

4Question: Many questions are asked concerning permissible and forbidden music.
Is it correct to say that the music that arouses sexual, lustful urges and promotes unstable and degrading behaviour is the forbidden one?
And is it correct to say that the music that soothes the nerves or causes relaxation, the music that forms the background of a scene in a movie to increase the effect of the scene on the viewers, the music that is used for physical exercise during workouts, the music that dramatizes a particular scene by its tune, or the one that arouses the zeal [in soldiers] is the permissible one?
Answer: Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, even if it does not arouse sexual temptations.
Permissible music is the music that is not suitable for such gatherings, even if it does not soothe the nerves like the martial music and that played at funerals.

Question & Answer » Musical Instrument

Question: Is it permissible to manufacture, sell, or buy musical instruments that are made for children’s play? And is it permissible for adults to use them?
Answer: If the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings comes out of it, then it is neither permissible to deal in, nor are adults allowed to use them.

2Question: Musical instruments are of different kinds. Sometimes they are used in musical gatherings and sometimes for soothing the soul. Is it then permissible to buy these instruments, manufacture them, deal in them, or play them to soothe the soul or listen to the ir sounds when someone else is playing them?
Answer: It is not permissible to deal in the instruments of harãm entertainment: neither selling nor buying, just as it is not permissible to manufacture them and accept remuneration for making them.
“An instrument of harãm entertainment” means that its physical shape—that gives its value and eventually the purpose for acquiring it— is not suitable except for use in harãm entertainment.

3Question: Is it permissible to listen to revolutionary songs accompanied by sounds of piano, lute, drum, wind-pipe, and electronic piano?
Answer: If the music accompanying it is that which is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, it is not permissible to listen to it.

4Question: Is it permissible for women to sing in the a wedding party in whatever tune, even if it is suitable for the gatherings of sinful people? Is it permissible for them to use musical instruments while singing that night? Is it permissible for them to sing, wearing henna [on the bride’s hand and feet], or on the eve of the seventh night [after the marriage]? Or is the permission restricted to the marriage eve?
Answer: Based on compulsory precaution, they should refrain from it, even on the marriage eve, let alone other occasions. As for the issue of music, its rules have already been mentioned earlier.

------------------------------------------
My question is more specific about the types of instruments that are deemed permissible and those that are not.

^ If that is the case about wind and daf instruments, why does this hadith say this?

“A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyāma will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player.”

@shiaman14

1 minute ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

^ If that is the case about wind and daf instruments, why does this hadith say this?

@shiaman14

a sitar is a stringed instrument and along the lines of what I have been saying.

wind instruments and duff are permissible under certain conditions. A big condition Ayatollah Sistani lays out is, "the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings" is pretty much not permissible.

@shiaman14

I asked Sistani this: 

Salaam alaikum, 

I have limited fine motor control in my hands and I was wondering if it was permissible to play a musical instrument as a form of therapy for strengthening my hands?

He (ha) said this:

It is permissible, if it is useful provided that the music is not commensurate with the gatherings of entertainment and moral depravity

^Sounds pretty consistent.

@shiaman14 Both marjas say instruments that are used for entertainment and amusement gatherings are impermissible, and instruments that are not used for that purpose is permissible. However I realized sayed Sistani is a little more strict on the sale and purchases of such instruments.

1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

My question is more specific about the types of instruments that are deemed permissible and those that are not.

I think this is decided upon the mukallaf himself, not the marja. The mukallaf has to decide whether the instrument he's using is used for entertainment and amusement gatherings or not, and if it is than it's impermissible. 

45 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

I think this is decided upon the mukallaf himself, not the marja. The mukallaf has to decide whether the instrument he's using is used for entertainment and amusement gatherings or not, and if it is than it's impermissible. 

Agreed brother.

1 minute ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

So can i sing a song if there is no music (acapella)? 

if the song is "suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings" then no. 

So no "Chaiya Chaiya" for you :hahaha:

Just now, shiaman14 said:

if the song is "suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings" then no. 

So no "Chaiya Chaiya" for you :hahaha:

lol.... but i could sing dil dil pakistan.

4 hours ago, Meesum_Mtl said:

Would you guys mind clearing something up for me? "suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings"--> isn't all music/instruments suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings?

therein lies the dilemma brother.

For example, a country's national anthem would not be consider "suitable for entertainment and amusement gathering". Nasheeds and other poetry about revered figured would not fall under this category either.

56 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

therein lies the dilemma brother.

For example, a country's national anthem would not be consider "suitable for entertainment and amusement gathering". Nasheeds and other poetry about revered figured would not fall under this category either.

See that's what I don't get. In the past a national anthem may have been specific to a countries military / government but now it is played all the time at sporting events. A sporting event is entertainment and amusement gathering. If they play the national anthem at a sporting event than it is suitable for entertainment and amusement gathering. Thus (please correct me if I'm wrong) it would be Haram. To further my point on it being suitable for entertainment and amusement gathering, the hosts of the sporting events specifically find the most engaging singers to bring up their TV views (as it is a form of entertainment). Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?

In the case of Nasheeds and poetry about revered figures I can completely understand that they are not under the category of entertainment / amusement gathering.

Edited by Meesum_Mtl
Added Second Paragraph.