In the Name of God بسم الله

Rites: Last Breath --> Death --> Burial

Rate this topic

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Q1. What religious actions should we do if our father/mother is laying on the bed and in the state of dying? I am a muqallid of Ayt. Khamenei.

ANSWER: For the person approaching death, it is recommended to place him/her on their back such that the soles of the feet are facing the qiblah. Also, the basic tenets of faith should be read out aloud in a language that the dying person understands. There are some du'as that one can recite which are mentioned in books of supplication. If the person is experiencing great torment and difficulty, then it is recommended to place him/her at the place where he/she customarily offered the prayers. It is also recommended to recite certain suras and passages from the Qur'an - Surah Yasin, as-Saffat, al-Ahzab, Ayat- ul-Kursi, verse 54 of Surah al-A'raf and the last three verses of Surah al-Baqarah and/or other parts of the Qur'an.

https://www.al-islam.org/organizations/AalimNetwork/msg00039.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

Say: (As for) the death from which you flee, that will surely overtake you, then you shall be sent back to the Knower of the unseen and the seen, and He will inform you of that which you did. [Holy Qur'an 62:8]

Duas relating to death and funeral: http://www.duas.org/death.htm

• Veteran Member
Bismehe Ta3ala,
Assalam Alikum 

What is said in talqeen.

Translation: Listen and understand, listen and understand, listen and understand, O______ son (daughter) of_____. Are you on the same covenant on which you were when you parted from us? That covenant is the testimony of the fact that there is no God but Allah, Who is only One and Who has no partner. And the testimony of the fact that undoubtedly Muhammad, may the Peace of Allah be on him and his progeny, is the slave and prophet of Allah and is the lord of all the prophets and is the last of them and that Ali is the chief of the believers and the leader of all the successors and he is such and Imam whose obedience has been made obligatory on the whole world. And that Hasan and Husain and Ali son of Husain, and Muhammad son of Ali and Ja’far son of Muhammad, and Moosa son of Ja’far, and Ali son of Moosa, and Muhammad son of Ali, and Ali son of Muhammad, and Hasan son of Ali, and Muhammad, the awaited one, son of Hasan – may the Peace of Allah be on them all – are the Imams of all believers and are the authorities on the whole world, and all these Imams are guides for the pious persons. O______son (daughter) of______, when the two favorite angels sent by Allah approach you and inquire of you about your God, your Prophet, your religion, your book, your qibla and your Imams, do not be afraid or grieved or worried, but say in reply: “Allah, the Glorious and Dignified, is my Lord, Muhammad, peace of Allah be upon him and his progeny, is my Prophet, Islam is my religion, the Quran is my book, Kaaba is my qibla. Ameerul Mu-mineena Ali Ibne Abi Talib is my Imam, Hasane Mujtaba is my Imam, Husain, the martyr of Kerbala, is my Imam, Ali Zainul Abideen is my Imam, Muhammad Baqir is my Imam, Ja’far Sadiq is my Imam, Moosa Kazim is my Imam, Ali Reza is my Imam, Muhammad Jawad is my Imam, Ali Hadi is my Imam, Hasan Askari is my Imam, Hujjatul Muntazar is my Imam. All these great persons, may Allah’s peace be upon them, are my Imams, my leaders, my chief, and my intercessors and I keep friends with them and have hatred for their enemies in this world as well as in the world to come.” O_____son (daughter) of ________, know that Allah, the Exalted, is undoubtedly the best of Providers, and Muhammad, may the peace of Allah be upon him and his progeny, is undoubtedly the best of the prophets and that Ammeerul Mo-mineen Ali Ibne Abi Talib and the eleven Imams who are his descendants, are undoubtedly the best Imams and leaders. Whatever message Muhammad, may the peace of Allah be upon him and his progeny, has brought is true. Undoubtedly death is true, the questioning of Munkar and Nakeer in the grave after death is true, coming to life after death is true, the scale [Meezan] is true, the Path [Siraat] is true, accounting of deeds is true, and undoubtedly there will be a Day of Judgment. Allah will undoubtedly bring to life those who are in the graves. O______son (daughter) of______, may Allah keep you firm on these beliefs and may He guide you on the right path and may Allah introduce you to friends in the vicinity of His mercy. O Allah, make the ground spacious for him (her) on both the sides and raise his (her) soul towards You and direct Your Guidance to him (her). O Allah, pardon us, pardon.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators
  • 2 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

This text explains in detail the meaning of death. It also touches subjects like why we are born, why we live, why some fear death and how understanding death is in itself a part of developing your spirit.

Death, An Excerpt from Murtadha Mutahhari's Divine Justice  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/death-excerpt-murtadha-mutahhari-s-divine-justice

• 10 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Seyyid Ibn Tawus in Misbah Al-Zair says the best day to visit the dead is Thursday, but if you cannot do it on a Thursday, do it on any day you can.

Upon reaching a grave of believer, face qibla and place your hand on the grave. Then recite Surat Inna Anzalna (Al-Qadr) seven times, Al-Hamd. Al-Tawheed, Al-Falaq, An-Naas and Ayatul Kursi. When a person recites Suratul Qadr for a dead Momin seven times, Allah creates an angel to sit beside the dead person and protect the dead person from all afflictions until the day of judgement.

See Mafatihul Jinan in Adaab Ziyarat Quburul Muminin, Pg 655, Arabic Version.

https://www.al-Islam.org/ask/topics/5741/questions-about-Graveyard

• 6 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Wise words from Imam Ali AS in the book Various Sayings of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام).

26. When you get ill do not get nervous about it and try as much as possible to be hopeful.

27. The best form of devotion to the service of Allah is not to make a show of it.

28. When you have to depart from this world and have to meet death (eventually), then why wish delay (why feel nervous about death).

https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/various-sayings-Imam-Ali-ibn-abi-talib

Get PDF

Edited by Hameedeh
PDF link

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

According to Islamic law, the heirs are the inheritors and will receive the share according to their relationship with the deceased. Please be sure to read the section 2. The One-Third Option, which allows the deceased to give 1/3 of the entire estate as desired, so the heirs would get their share after that 1/3 part is set aside.

This right of disposing the one-third according to your own wish can be exercised only by making a will. You can do whatever you like with the one-third: give to a family-member, a relative, a friend, a charitable cause or organization, etc.

For example, you can use the 1/3 or a part of it to make -if you like- the shares of your wife or your daughter equal to those of your other children.

Making an Islamic Will by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/making-islamic-will-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi

• 7 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Finding Comfort at the Cemetery

Losing a loved one is among the most difficult experiences we can have in our life journey. While we are grieving, it is important to stay mindful of what actions we can perform to help us get through this difficult time. Visiting the cemetery and reciting the Quran and recommended supplications near the graves is one way that can help, because it has many benefits for us and our deceased loved one. Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (p) states, “Visit your deceased for they become joyous by your visit to them.”1

Benefits of Visiting the Cemetery

The traditions of the Ahl al-Bayt (pbut) teach us the importance of visiting the cemetery. The Holy Household themselves practiced this. Lady Fatimah (p) used to visit the graves of the martyrs every week and reminded herself where her father, the Messenger of God ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)&hp), used to stand.2 For many people, being physically close to loved ones who have departed from this world (by visiting their graves) while grieving may help with the suffering of such a calamity. Reciting the Holy Quran and different supplications and sending the rewards of these actions to them will  benefit us and them.

Moreover, the visitation to our loved ones not only reminds us of the hereafter and that this life is temporary, but it also brings joy to our loved ones. In another tradition, Imam Jafar al-Sadiq (p) states, “They [deceased ones] are happy and [enjoy] your presence and feel lonely when you leave.”3 This should be an encouragement to go for their visitation often, as it brings contentment to our hearts to know that our loved ones are overjoyed by our presence.

Furthermore, visiting the graves is one way to attain forgiveness from the Almighty and have our own prayers answered. The commander of the faithful Imam Ali (p) is reported to have said, “Visit your deceased for they become joyous by your visit to them, and any one of you should supplicate to [God] to fulfill your [own] need when visiting the grave of their father and the grave of their mother while  they supplicate to God for them.”4

Finally, Imam Ali al-Rida (p) said, “One who visits the grave of his [believing] brother, places his hand on the grave, and recites Surat al-Qadr seven times will be safe from the great fear [on the Day of Resurrection].”5 Performing all these actions will help us in our grief journey, as we will know that our loved ones are in a better place gaining reward from what we do.

Bits of Advice

1. Make a habit of visiting the cemetery: Making a habit of visiting the cemetery will help us stay reminded of the hereafter, which will encourage us to stay away from sinful actions. In addition, it offers us consolation to be near the graves of our loved ones.

2. Recite the Quran near the graves: It is highly recommended to recite Surat al-Fatihah, Surat Ya Sin, Surat al-Ikhlas, Surat al-Falaq, and Surat al-Nas6 near the graves of believers and loved ones. As beneficial as reciting verses of the Quran is for our departed family members, it also helps us build a connection to the Holy Book of God.

3. Recite the following supplication when passing by cemeteries: Imam Ali (p) states, “I heard the Messenger of God ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)&hp) say, ‘He who recites it when passing by the cemeteries, fifty years of his sins will be forgiven [by God].’ At that point the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)&hp) was asked, ‘What if he did not have fifty years of sins?’ He replied, ‘Then for his parents, brothers [in faith], and the general public of the believers [i.e., they will be forgiven instead if the reciter of this special invocation did not have fifty years of sins].’ [This special invocation is]:

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

Peace be upon the of people of no God but Allah (la ilaha illallah) (i.e., the people who believe in the absolute oneness of God), O people of la ilaha illallah, how did you find the [result which came of] la ilaha illallah from la ilaha illallah. O la ilaha illallah, by the sake of la ilaha illallah, forgive those who said la ilaha illallah and resurrect us along with those who said la ilaha illallah.”7

https://imam-us.org/finding-comfort-at-the-cemetery

• 7 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

This text, based on the book Manazil al-Akhira by the Late Marhoom Abbas al-Qummi will take the reader step by step from the moment the soul departs from the body up to the gate of either Paradise and salvation or Hell and damnation.

Stages of the Hereafter, the Path to Eternity  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/stages-hereafter-path-eternity-yasin-t-al-jibouri

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Administrators

• 9 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

Making a will regarding pilgrimage (from Ayatullah Sistani's book Hajj Rituals)  Get PDF

Rule 73: If a person on a deathbed has an obligation to perform his first pilgrimage and has adequate means, he must make sure that it will be performed after his death, even by directing in his will and in the presence of witnesses.

However, if he has no adequate means but thinks somebody will volunteer to perform pilgrimage for him, he must stipulate that in his will. If he dies, pilgrimage must be performed from his estate, as must also be done if he has made a general direction about it without qualifying that its expenses be defrayed from his bequeathable one-third.

However, if he directs that pilgrimage be performed from his portion of one-third in the estate and the expenses can be met therefrom, the expenses must be paid for from that portion and must take precedence over all other instructions in the will. If the bequeathable one-third of the estate is insufficient to meet the expenses, the balance must be defrayed from the entire estate.

Rules 74 - 102 at the links above.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

A Letter from Father to Son, The Last Will of Ali ibn Abi Talib (a)       Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/letter-father-son-last-will-ali-ibn-abi-talib

• 1 year later...
  • Forum Administrators

According to the Fatawa of Sayyid ‘Ali Sistani - compiled and translated by Saleem Bhimji

Rules Relating To The Deceased - Philosophy And Ahkam  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/rules-relating-deceased-philosophy-and-ahkam