Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Study Music

Rate this topic

Guest Yahya

Salam,

I know that most, if not all, music is haram but it has always been helpful to me while im revising. I know i cant listen to Quran while im studying and I think it's a bit inappropriate to listen to a latmiya. What do you guys think is an appropriate Islamic replacement for music? Is listening to dua okay or is it a similar situation as that of the Quran? If silence is the only option then that's okay.

Thanks for the help.

• Advanced Member

:bismillah:

:salam: 

According to my marja' (Sayyed Fadlallah), it's okay to listen to certain types of music as long as the requirements of it being halal are met (E.g. it's not party music, or as another example it helps you focus more).

Personally, I listen to alot of study music mainly due to the fact I can't focus at all while studying, even if there isn't any background noise. Listening to it has considerably improved my focus anywhere I go, even during class.

For anyone that's confused:

Hope this helps.

:ws:

• Forum Administrators
7 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

There is a wide difference on this subject between marjaa'. You need to refer to your marjaa' for this issue. 

Is there a wide difference?

I always understood that the more commonly followed mar'ja are reasonably similar in their advice i.e. anything that adults listen to for pleasure is not allowed. That would cover classical and popular contemporary music.

• Moderators

There are some common things between them, such as 

Any music that talks about haram in a positive light, leads toward haram, 

or is used in immoral gatherings is haram. 

There is a difference of opinion on some types of music, 

for example classical and jazz without lyrics and folk music / ancient music

For example Imam Khomeni(ra) says that classical (without lyrics) and some types 

of soft jazz are ok 

Sayyid Fadlallah(ra) says that as long as the music isn't of the clearly haram kind (above)

and it doesn't lead you toward haram action or haram thoughts its ok. 

Sayyid Goblaghani(ra) says all music is haram, even nashid and lutmiyyat. 

So there is a difference on this issue. 

Guest silasun
19 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Is there a wide difference?

I always understood that the more commonly followed mar'ja are reasonably similar in their advice i.e. anything that adults listen to for pleasure is not allowed. That would cover classical and popular contemporary music.

The rule is used in "entertainment/sinful gatherings", not "used to listen to for pleasure". 

With regard to lots classical music, so long as it remains in its current state in the West (and we assume that it is in the state where, according to the 'urf, nobody would use it in one of those gatherings), it shouldn't be a problem. I have read this according to Sayeds Khoei, Sistani and Khamenei.

Sayed Sistani:

Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, even if it does not arouse sexual temptations.
Permissible music is the music that is not suitable for such gatherings, even if it does not soothe the nerves like the martial music and that played at funerals.

--

To the OP: perhaps it is better to avoid listening to music whilst studying, even if it was of the halal sort. Actually, it's wiser not to listen to Qur'an, nasheeds, latmiyyah etc. It's so much harder to concentrate with these distractions. Learn to appreciate silence, especially when you are studying.

• Forum Administrators
6 hours ago, silasun said:

The rule is used in "entertainment/sinful gatherings", not "used to listen to for pleasure".

I thought entertainment was pleasure.

AIUI a concert is a gathering for the purposes of entertainment and since all classical music started off life in that context, by definition that rules it out.

We did some work on this topic a while back.

Music in Islam v.1.pdf

Guest silasun
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

I thought entertainment was pleasure.

AIUI a concert is a gathering for the purposes of entertainment and since all classical music started off life in that context, by definition that rules it out.

We did some work on this topic a while back.

Music in Islam v.1.pdf

Classical might have started in a haraam form but 'urf means the current societal view.

For example, techno in the UK is haram because it could be played at a haraam lahwi gathering (the word entertainment is a bit vague)  but in parts of the ME its's not haram for the natives. Whereas in Mozart's time, classical might have been haram if it was used in haram gatherings.

The sistani.org Arabic definition of Ghina:

لسؤال: ما حكم الاستماع إلى الغناء ؟ وما هو معنى الغناء ؟

الجواب: اما معنى الغناء فالظاهر انه الكلام اللهوي – شعراً كان او نثراً – الذي يؤتى به بالالحان المتعارفة عند أهل اللهو واللعب ، والعبرة بالصدق العرفي ، وأما الاستماع إليه فهو حرام كحرمة فعله والتكسّب به .
He defines it as what is known amongst the people of frivolous entertainment and play. The definition doesn't say if the music is entertaining or enjoyable.

I actually asked about this with his London office and it's even allowed to use a duel use instrument like a piano - if a piano could only be used in haram gatherings then the response would be that it's haram

--

S. Khoei says classical is allowed.