Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

whats the ruling on eating insects ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

﷽‎ 

'Ammar ibn al-Saabaatee from Abu 'AbdAllah عليه السلام who said:

I asked about beetles, and flies, and locusts, and ants, and what resembles them--if they die in a well, or oil, or similar to them. He said: Everything which does not have blood, there is no harm in it.

محمّد بن يعقوب، عن محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن عثمان بن عيسى، عن سماعة، قال: سألت أبا عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) عن جرة وجد فيها خنفساء قد ماتت؟ قال: ألقها وتوضأ منه، وإن كان عقربا فارق الماء، وتوضا من ماء غيره

From Samaa'ah who said: I asked Abu 'AbdAllah عليه السلام about the jar in which one finds a dead beetle. He said: Throw it out and wash from it (use the water for wudhu). And if it is a scorpion, separate the water and wash with water other than it.

I have not found anything which discusses eating beetles, however, there is a narration which discusses eating flies. Since flies and beetles have been coupled together in the first narration, perhaps the rules are the same.

عنه عن النضر بن سويد عن عاصم بن حميد عن ابي بصير عن ابي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: سألته عن الذباب يقع في الدهن والسمن والطعام فقال: لا باس بأكله

Abu Baseer from Abu 'AbdAllah عليه السلام: I asked him about the fly which falls in oil, or ghee, or food. He said: There is no harm in eating it.

Sheikh al-Tusi says:

ما لا نفس له سائلة، كالذباب، والخنفساء، والزنابير وغير ذلك، لا ينجس بالموت، ولا ينجس الماء، ولا المائع الذي يموت فيه

What does not have a structure (bones, etc.), and is watery (inside), like the fly, and beetle, and wasp, and others like that, are not najis when they're dead. And they do not make water najis.

• Advanced Member

Sayyed Al-Sistani says:

Issue 2633: All birds, like eagle, vultures and wild falcons having a claw and talon, are haraam to eat. And all such birds whose gliding is more than flapping the wings, and have talons, are also haraam to eat. Those whose flapping of the wings while flying, is more than gliding, are halal to eat. Thus, one can identify halal birds from haraam ones by observing how they fly. And if the style of any bird's flight cannot be determined, that bird will be considered halal for eating, if it has a crop or a gizzard or a spur on the back of its feet. In the absence of all these, the bird will be haraam. As an obligatory precaution, one should refrain from eating the meat of all types of crows. Other birds like the hens, the pigeons, the sparrows including the ostrich and the peacock are halal to eat, but it is Makrooh to kill birds like swallows and hoopoes. And the animals which fly, but are not classified as winged birds, like the bats, are haraam; similarly, the bees, the mosquitoes, and other flying insects are, as an obligatory precaution, haraam.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/rules-things-allowed-eat-and-drink

And again:

It is haraam to eat the meat of rabbit, elephant, bear, monkey, jerboa, mouse, snake, hedgehog, and crawling animals and insects.

https://www.al-islam.org/jurisprudence-made-easy-ayatullah-ali-sistani/dialogue-slaughtering-and-hunting

However locust is permissible:

Issue 2592: If an animal whose meat is halal to eat, is slaughtered in the manner which will be described later, irrespective of whether it is domesticated or not, its meat becomes halal and its body becomes Clean (tahir/pak) after it has died. But camels, fish and locust become halal without their heads being slaughtered, as will be explained later.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/slaughtering-and-hunting-animals#hunting-fish-and-locust

Edited by E.L King
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, E.L King said:

similarly, the bees, the mosquitoes, and other flying insects are, as an obligatory precaution, haraam.

6 hours ago, E.L King said:

crawling animals and insects.

This doesn't make sense to me. On one hand they are saying for an obligatory precaution we shouldn't eat and on other ruling they are clearly saying insects are haram.

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

This doesn't make sense to me. On one hand they are saying for an obligatory precaution we shouldn't eat and on other ruling they are clearly saying insects are haram.

The first one is related to flying insects.

The second one, I believe, is related to crawling insects. In Fiqh, also, rats, for example, are considered insects.

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Does it mean we could eat any flying insect, but for obligatory precaution we should refrain from it. 

Obligatory precaution in this case means it is not allowed unless you refer to another marja who allows it. That marja must be the second most knowledgable after Sistani.

As far as I know, no marja allows it. That would make it haram.

• Veteran Member
6 minutes ago, AfricanShia said:

Okay. According to the rulings of Ali Sistani it is haraam to eat any insect that flies. Locusts have quite a nasty stench to them so I dont know who would want to eat something like that. 

Yes but the halal locusts ruling is from sayid al Sistani too.