In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2017

• Veteran Member
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, notme said:

I came across this.

104b4x.jpg

l saw a NHK feature this week. Here is a picture:  engineeratsu.jpg 

This is for areas where wind speed can exceed 60 & 70 kph. That way, the blades do not come-off.

• Veteran Member
On 8/2/2017 at 6:51 PM, E.L King said:

So much fake news! Trump was right...

from page 70 of Thoughts

Here is a good example of a Fake Headline: 

"White House walks back Trump's Puerto Rico comments as Wall Street reels"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/04/trump-puerto-rico-debt-white-house-response-243452  time 1457hrsEDT

BUT: the Dow ended up ~19, and both Nasdaq and S&P500 ~3 points.

• Forum Administrators

The new poll is on the homepage. Vote and/or reply to give your opinion! 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235053169-10-battle-poll/

• Veteran Member

On page 81 of this thread, l did a rant about reporters not knowing what the word 'dotard' was. [l read today that  journalists "everywhere" in the US went rushing for their dictionaries as the word wasn't in their app. Dotard was a common word when l grew-up.]

So tonight l am watching the weatherman talk about the rain and said people should watch out for "poddling".

:cry: "l do not think that is even a word."

l'm correct. No such word.

The weathered-dotard ... errrr....weatherman should have said, "watch out for puddles" or "puddles forming in the road".

lf the weathered-brain ... errrr ... weatherman was trying to say "puddling" this is not correct either. Puddling is the treatment of molten metal. Nothing else.

Yarrabi  Save me from American un-education.

• Development Team
13 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Bet that my sons, especially my son in law, could not just up and buy 30+ guns in a year without somebody raising some red flags. Just sayin'.

Suspicions would be raised even with me, and I am mostly white.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Methinks -to use an old expression- Methinks it is not good to live in California.

http://www.sfgate.com/earthquakes/article/Magnitude-4-1-earthquake-strikes-near-Alum-Rock-12265182.php#photo-14318479 

These little quakes often precede bigger ones. If I lived in California I might consider taking an extended vacation somewhere inland or east coast right now.

• Advanced Member

^ You'd be taking a vacation all the time. The entire Ring of Fire rocks and rolls every day to some extent. California has several earthquakes daily. Most aren't felt,but they register anyway. Poor Santa Rosa got hit with that firestorm, though. Really tragic. I have friends  out there, but they are okay.

• Advanced Member

@notme Speaking of going "east " ( and south). Well, one of my sons announced last night that he might be visiting Arizona. He was at a native rights meeting this summer and might have met a special someone. My husband nodded at SG and told him we already had "enough desert tribe up in here." 

• Forum Administrators

Coincidentally I have been watching a BBC Ray Mears documentary about the Apache of Arizona. The following is not the same one, it's older but gives a flavour of the place:

• Advanced Member

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

( to young people of any ethnicity, religion, or nation)

Some of us older folk who have you as "friends" because you are relatives respectfully request that when you are going through an "epic breakup "with your significant other and decide to put all of your drama on FB or other social media, please do not "tag" or include us in the festivities because:

1. We really don't want to know what kind of a mess your SO is

or

2. We knew already and probably warned you

Thank you very much.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Coincidentally I have been watching a BBC Ray Mears documentary about the Apache of Arizona. The following is not the same one, it's older but gives a flavour of the place:

I get that this is " his" survival skills show.

But did you notice he got through this entire thing without talking to any Apaches?

There are plenty in Arizona. Heck, he could have talked with Cochise and Geronomo's ( to use the name white peoples use) family members.

image.jpeg

• Forum Administrators
10 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

There are plenty in Arizona. Heck, he could have talked with Cochise and Geronomo's ( to use the name white peoples use) family members.

The show I have been watching is heavy on its coverage of Apaches (talking with them etc.) and recounting the 300 (?) mile march, imposed by the U.S. army. But because it is a current series on the BBC (AIUI) it is not on youtube. 

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

The show I have been watching is heavy on its coverage of Apaches (talking with them etc.) and recounting the 300 (?) mile march, imposed by the U.S. army. But because it is a current series on the BBC (AIUI) it is not on youtube. 

l hadn't remembered any Apache "march", yet there was a Winter one of 180 miles.

My Dad left some old books written after 1900 on lndians so l should read them, now.

• Moderators
On 10/9/2017 at 11:49 PM, LeftCoastMom said:

Bet that my sons, especially my son in law, could not just up and buy 30+ guns in a year without somebody raising some red flags. Just sayin'.

Sad but true. 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l hadn't remembered any Apache "march", yet there was a Winter one of 180 miles.

My Dad left some old books written after 1900 on lndians so l should read them, now.

There are several bands of Apaches. There was the Winter March. In addition, the Mescalero band was put on the Long Walk along with the Dineh ( Navajo). 

Tribal websites are good sources of information. "Old books" written by white people are hit or miss. I've read some amazing misinformation about my own relatives..lol. That should not surprise me, though, as I have read some amazing misinformation about myself.

• Veteran Member
On 10/3/2017 at 1:53 PM, IbnSina said:

Speaking of leadership, here is a nice speech from Ayatollah Khomeini(RA):

@repenter

@kamyar

@baradar_jackson

Maybe one of you guys who are better at farsi could translate the above short speech?

Salam Ibn Sina jan, I can't access YouTube currently. It would be good if you can give me this video on another website like Aparat, or at least write some of the sentences of the remarks.

On 10/3/2017 at 8:42 AM, IbnSina said:

I know many people here live in the US, such as my own wife, but I dont see how that is relevant to what I am saying.

Bah Bah, Mubarake Insha'Allah. You don't forget our shirini, do you?

• Forum Administrators
5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Oops. sorry I mixed up the forced marches. The 350 mile march I was referring to was imposed on the Navajo from north Arizona to Fort Sumner. 

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

There are several bands of Apaches. There was the Winter March. In addition, the Mescalero band was put on the Long Walk along with the Dineh ( Navajo). 

Tribal websites are good sources of information. "Old books" written by white people are hit or miss. I've read some amazing misinformation about my own relatives..lol. That should not surprise me, though, as I have read some amazing misinformation about myself.

What surprised me was when the conquistadors first met Apache they were in what is now Kansas.

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ Easy to get mixed up.

This kind of thing happened.

Survived it , though. 

Now in the process of getting land back and having plenty of kids. Good for us.

At least one Shia is helping. Good for him.

You, Leftie, can probably guess what really aggravates me. The lack of accuracy.

What brought that to mind is this morning l was reading an online "history" website about Columbus. Shameless revisionism.

The same with American Natives. lt is either 'inviolable-eternal tribal land' (Navajo as with Spider Rock as one exception) when nearly all the tribes continuously migrated. The 'best documented' -as l read in a history- is the migration of the Cheyenne. Other tribes in the Mid-West migrated from one resource point to another. Such as the salt sources in Kentucky.

Or it is the "heathen savages that have no respect for private property" garbage.

You'll probably like this one: When in college l wanted to take a course on Indians. So l found a history prof that was qualified. When l went to ask him, one of the first questions he asked was, "why not take the anthropology course?" l answered with something as, "l want a history course rather than material interpreted and bigoted". ( l can't actually remember exactly but that was my answer.)  So he narrowed this down to 3 or 4 geographical areas and l chose from those.