Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
sidnaq

lets encourage simpler looser clothes

Rate this topic

Yeah especially for guys as well. I see muslim men wearing skin tight jeans thinking it is all good.

We guys love to criticise women for their hijab and fashion etc but forget about our own clothing which is not very modest as well.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

15 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Yeah especially for guys as well. I see muslim men wearing skin tight jeans thinking it is all good.

We guys love to criticise women for their hijab and fashion etc but forget about our own clothing which is not very modest as well.

Im a guy, all my jeans are tight. Matter a fact, every piece of clothing I own is either slim or extra slim. whats wrong with that? Not all bodies are the same 

2 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

Im a guy, all my jeans are tight. Matter a fact, every piece of clothing I own is either slim or extra slim. whats wrong with that? Not all bodies are the same 

Well you kind of get my point, the guys that wear extra tight jeans to show off their muscles on their legs especially after squats.

1 hour ago, Bazzi_ said:

Tight jeans are girly though. I was still a child, but I remember an era (around 2005/6) where most guys were still wearing baggy clothes. I imagine if you wore tight jeans back then, they would regard that as feminine.

I'm not trying to be insulting my brother I'm just trying to make a point. I think tight jeans is a modern fashion phenomena, and amongst the aspects of modern fashion is to make men wear women clothes.

I agree @E.L King and @ali_fatheroforphans, skinny and tight jeans are just humiliating. The era where men would wear baggy pants was just fine, I don't see where this trend of tights arose from? Surely our generation is corrupting itself by the years. Inshallah He ( the Almighty, the All Knowing, the All Forgiving, the Living, the Sustaining, the Powerful, the Creator ) will help us and lead us towards the right path.

3 hours ago, sidnaq said:

Lets encourage looser simpler clothes again.I dont want to be a tight trendy hijabi fashionista

l saw this once. A Palestinian girl, tall slender type, was wearing shoes-jeans-pullover-hijab that were so tight she not only did not have any wrinkles in her clothes but even the folds in her hijab  looked ironed on.

So tight, she looked like a moving mannequin with clothes smoothly painted on.

Wacky.

Why do sci-fi movies and television usually show characters in tight, often one-piece, clothing? It seems uncomfortable and inconvenient. 

I agree that tight clothing on males looks effeminate, and on females looks like she is presenting herself for sale. Nobody should wear tight clothing. But "tight" isn't a precise word. What I call comfortable, another person might call tight, so aside from extremes it's probably best that we each wear what we find acceptable and let others do their thing. 

Feel free to call out the extremes. 

8 hours ago, sidnaq said:

Lets encourage looser simpler clothes again.I dont want to be a tight trendy hijabi fashionista

6 hours ago, Zarla said:

Definitely! But HOW can we encourage it?!

The Abaya cloak, which generally Iranian women wears is the best hijab. Try bringing some fashion to it. 

1 hour ago, Lover of Ahlulbait (ams) said:

The Abaya cloak, which generally Iranian women wears is the best hijab. Try bringing some fashion to it. 

thats exactly what i want, an abaya, its strange how livnig in toronto, these people accept abaya and loose clothes but its hard stepping out without knowing which clothes will be accepted by them, like if i wear a slight not ironed shirt or God knows what it is i wear , i feel i get treated less than others.

32 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

thats exactly what i want, an abaya, its strange how livnig in toronto, these people accept abaya and loose clothes but its hard stepping out without knowing which clothes will be accepted by them, like if i wear a slight not ironed shirt or God knows what it is i wear , i feel i get treated less than others.

So it's good that people around you accept hijab and do not stereotype Muslim women as prevalent in some cultures. 

12 hours ago, E.L King said:

Tight jeans are girly though. I was still a child, but I remember an era (around 2005/6) where most guys were still wearing baggy clothes. I imagine if you wore tight jeans back then, they would regard that as feminine.

I'm not trying to be insulting my brother I'm just trying to make a point. I think tight jeans is a modern fashion phenomena, and amongst the aspects of modern fashion is to make men wear women clothes.

5 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Tight clothing makes you look poor, like you cannot afford to buy something that fits you properly. 

I see what ur saying, trends change, what people wore in the early 2000's would be considered really odd in todays climate. Personally, I just think it looks good, cleaner. Be honest, the first option looks better

X
2017-mar-mpants-guide-ver1-484-front?scl=1&scale=.5&wid=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=.15,0,0,0 2017-mar-mpants-guide-ver1-1040-front?scl=1&scale=.5&wid=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=.15,0,0,0

49 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

I see what ur saying, trends change, what people wore in the early 2000's would be considered really odd in todays climate. Personally, I just think it looks good, cleaner. Be honest, the first option looks better

X
2017-mar-mpants-guide-ver1-484-front?scl=1&scale=.5&wid=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=.15,0,0,0 2017-mar-mpants-guide-ver1-1040-front?scl=1&scale=.5&wid=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=.15,0,0,0

What do you mean by first option? For Arabs and Iranians the guy on the right is the first option. The guy on the left would be the first option for someone in the West. 

46 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

What do you mean by first option? For Arabs and Iranians the guy on the right is the first option. The guy on the left would be the first option for someone in the West. 

Lol what? What does this have to do with arabs and Iranians, I'm an arab, Lebanese to be exact. I know quite a few from both groups who dress akin to the guy on the left. Again, whats the difference, its just a style preference.

Rule: If showing off is not with the aim of wanting others to fall into sin, then it is not haram. AGKLT

For example: If a woman cooks very good food when guests come over, or cleans the house better with the intention that the non-Mahram men will think that she is a hard-working woman and will be impressed by her; or one gives a very good speech with the intention that others will look at him/her in a better light, or other things like this, then these are not haram.

I think my post is related to the topic of hijab, so it's not off-topic. I am surprised by the above statement I found on al-islam.org. In my culture, there's great emphasis on beauty with brains and men are mostly attracted toward women who are pretty AND they have good cooking and cleaning skills. These skills also cause problems in marriages just like looks of a woman. I have observed that women with good house keeping skills enjoy most power and they are most popular among men. It looks like it is not a problem according to Islam. But doesn't it contradict the whole purpose of hijab? So you are not allowed to impress men with your looks, but you are allowed to impress them with your house-keeping skills? One action which is a sin for some women is not considered a sin for other women? Why is this limited to only work at home? Why cannot women impress men with hard work at their jobs?

People are always looking for loopholes and statements like the above statement provide loop holes. I have noticed that in my community, women are constantly compared based on house-keeping skills and they are encouraged to impress men with such skills. I also want to clarify that I am talking about my real life experience, so if any sister on shiachat has posted about her house-keeping skills, I am not trying to attack you and I am really sorry if you find this offensive.

5 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

Rule: If showing off is not with the aim of wanting others to fall into sin, then it is not haram. AGKLT

For example: If a woman cooks very good food when guests come over, or cleans the house better with the intention that the non-Mahram men will think that she is a hard-working woman and will be impressed by her; or one gives a very good speech with the intention that others will look at him/her in a better light, or other things like this, then these are not haram.

I think my post is related to the topic of hijab, so it's not off-topic. I am surprised by the above statement I found on al-islam.org. In my culture, there's great emphasis on beauty with brains and men are mostly attracted toward women who are pretty AND they have good cooking and cleaning skills. These skills also cause problems in marriages just like looks of a woman. I have observed that women with good house keeping skills enjoy most power and they are most popular among men. It looks like it is not a problem according to Islam. But doesn't it contradict the whole purpose of hijab? So you are not allowed to impress men with your looks, but you are allowed to impress them with your house-keeping skills? One action which is a sin for some women is not considered a sin for other women? Why is this limited to only work at home? Why cannot women impress men with hard work at their jobs?

People are always looking for loopholes and statements like the above statement provide loop holes. I have noticed that in my community, women are constantly compared based on house-keeping skills and they are encouraged to impress men with such skills. I also want to clarify that I am talking about my real life experience, so if any sister on shiachat has posted about her house-keeping skills, I am not trying to attack you and I am really sorry if you find this offensive.

Lol "cooking and cleaning skills". Im a guy, and I really hate that those are desired "traits" in a women, especially amongst us with a middle eastern/asian backround. Growing older and very recently, my mother and my grandmother, both house wives, became very open with me venting about life when no one was around. They love their family, i.e my mother and grandmothers love for their children and husband so it wasn't too bad, but now that they look back and see all the wasted years of mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, wiping tables down, cooking multiple meals and more DAILY, it does a number on them. Every now and then I would tell my mom why she doesn't go look for a job, or find a hobby like painting, bike riding, go to a museum, travel.... SOMETHING, anything for god sake other than follwing the EXACT same motions of, wipe, mop, spray, fry, sleep repeat and she always replies with "if only we had this talk when you were 5". Don't get me wrong , she goes out everyday after everything is done, to the gym or the mall, but what I'm getting at is that all these actions that housewives perform, don't further them in life whatsoever, nor do they add any skill sets and experiences, and life is very short.  These days, one can just hire a cleaning lady whose main source of income is from this task, that swings by 3 times a week and completely wipes the house down, which is what the vast majority of women I know now do, and should do. Its actually quite saddening, the love I have for my mother for all that she's done and sacrificed for us. People should definitely knock loose this stereotype....... you don't have to provide income to the family, the husbands got it all taken care of? Great, go find something you love, something your passionate about and do it every day. 

Edited by Bazzi_

22 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

These days, one can just hire a cleaning lady whose main source of income is from this task, that swings by 3 times a week and completely wipes the house down, which is what the vast majority of women I know now do, and should do. Its actually quite saddening, the love I have for my mother for all that she's done and sacrificed for us. People should definitely knock loose this stereotype....... you don't have to provide income to the family, the husbands got it all taken care of? Great, go find something you love, something your passionate about and do it every day. 

This is what I don't understand. You can hire a cleaning lady or get meals from restaurants. So what's the point of having 2 or 3 women in every house who spend all day trying new recipes or cleaning the already clean house or re-arranging things in the house. Even educated men who have professionally successful wives are always complaining about lack of cleaning and cooking skills in their wives. 

On 4/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, rkazmi33 said:

On 4/11/2017 at 11:25 PM, Bazzi_ said:

Lol "cooking and cleaning skills". Im a guy, and I really hate that those are desired "traits" in a women, especially amongst us with a middle eastern/asian backround. Growing older and very recently, my mother and my grandmother, both house wives, became very open with me venting about life when no one was around. They love their family, i.e my mother and grandmothers love for their children and husband so it wasn't too bad, but now that they look back and see all the wasted years of mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, wiping tables down, cooking multiple meals and more DAILY, it does a number on them. Every now and then I would tell my mom why she doesn't go look for a job, or find a hobby like painting, bike riding, go to a museum, travel.... SOMETHING, anything for god sake other than follwing the EXACT same motions of, wipe, mop, spray, fry, sleep repeat and she always replies with "if only we had this talk when you were 5". Don't get me wrong , she goes out everyday after everything is done, to the gym or the mall, but what I'm getting at is that all these actions that housewives perform, don't further them in life whatsoever, nor do they add any skill sets and experiences, and life is very short.  These days, one can just hire a cleaning lady whose main source of income is from this task, that swings by 3 times a week and completely wipes the house down, which is what the vast majority of women I know now do, and should do. Its actually quite saddening, the love I have for my mother for all that she's done and sacrificed for us. People should definitely knock loose this stereotype....... you don't have to provide income to the family, the husbands got it all taken care of? Great, go find something you love, something your passionate about and do it every day. 

Sorry for responding so late. 

Y'all really are off topic. And sister from where did you get that rule From? Your head? If so, then it's invalid. Since I can do the same thing and have it be just as valid as your rule. 

Rule: Any outfit whose appearance constitutes that of being impermissable fashion by the judgements of the ulema is haram regardless of one's intentions (we all have good intentions at the end of the day. Even criminals have good intentions when they do bad things like murder people.) AGKLT.