Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Livia

Is this all cause I defended the Quran?! Pls help!

Rate this topic

Salaam 3alaikum,

Do you guys remember me? I really want to share this issue with you guys & get some feedback. I'm in a terrible position; I think I've been in the middle of some backbiting & scandal. I believe it has to do with me a Muslim. I'm still attending a graduate program at a university. Now, I have 2 classes with 2 different instructors. One of them being the director (or president) of the program and one is just an regular professor.

This is what happened: 

Several days ago in the class with the regular professor, he had said something completely false and offensive about the Holy Quran. Saying that the Quran teaches and obligates Muslims to be oppressive and unjust to non-Muslims. And that this is essentially what is Sharia law. So of course, I spoke up politely and explained to him that he was absolutely wrong that the Quran does not in any way say this at all. He was quiet and heard me suspiciously thinking about what I was saying. That day during class I'd browsed my phone for a few mins. But then so do the other students and I've witnessed them, even one guy has his tablet out and constantly goes through it during class. I'm used to this being normal because its a grad program and in all the other classes I've attended, this is allowed. Towards the end of that class, my phone gone on so I shut it. The next day I get an email from him berating me about using phones in class. I've never used my phone before in his class & what about other students? So I took offense and replied back to him saying this & it's a grad program & asking about other students using tablets & such. Then he replied back saying he witnessed me on the phone. So I replied back also telling him I've not known any prof to turn something so small into an issue. Then it turned into about 7-8 back-&-forth emails with us arguing. In the end he tells me he expects respect & ettiquette from his students, so I told him I understand the policy and that I've always been respectful to him in class since day 1. (Because it is true). Speaking of ettiquette, one time this professor saw me approaching his class in the hallway and went right in and literally shut closed the door behind him! Though I didn't tell him this. Now this professor was in Iraq, he told us so. Also he has a something condescending against Muslim religion & peoples. He tries to hide it but it is clear as day. Do you guys see why I replied back to him in email? Bc he is not the one to tell me what is ettiquette & appropriate when he is also disrespectful to his student and insensitive to what can offend them in class. When I told a friend from the program about this she told me he'd sent that email in retaliation bc I called him out on the Quran issue but she suggested I'd apologise to him so as to calm the flame. 

The next week I go to the director's class & he gives me a horrible attitude! Now this man is usually polite to me & everyone. He doesn't have aynthing against Islam; he doesn't care for religion & such. But when I took my seat that day he looked at me very angrily and kinda threw some papers at me & told me to pass it around to my classmates. The entire session he kept giving me very angry glances. Then when I took my phone out (for the first time in his class) to check the clock I saw his eyes went on the phone then on me also angrily. Almost  like disbelievingly. When I tried to speak he ignored me twice. Then he said some things I'd felt was directed at me. On a certain topic, he said sometimes the religion lurks in the background. Then he asked who has money on Wall St & when he indicated that he does, he sort of glanced my way. It was all so strange I am thinking what the hell is this guy up to? It gets worse bc after class I waited in the reception to speak to him about my research & he'd seen me waiting then went in his office & closed his door. What is the meaning of all this? It'd never occurred to me that maybe the prof from the first class had probably spoken to him about me. When I went home I began to think this might've been the case? I've NEVER disrespected this man (director) so why would he get so angry at me for what happened?? It is not as if the argument was with him, so why does this matter to him so much??? 

I've already apologised against my will to the prof whom I'd argued with & let him know I'd not meant for it to come off as rude or offensive but that sometimes emails don't convey tone or emotion & also bc english is my 2nd language so usually I sound awkward or mean even when I'm not. (And guys this is actually true). He was VERY VERY quiet listening to me then laughed and told me it's ok. It seemed he took offense with me and it seemed like that argument upset him a lot. Before I left he told me quietly "I was just doing my job as an instructor". Now he's a sneaky guy. One time before all this happened, I'd met him in his office to review some coursework. When he found out I have another class with the director he asked me what I thought about the director & his class. I smiled & said it's fantastic and he is a wonderful instructor. Then he'd smiled and said "oh really you enjoy it"? It came out of nowhere. 

Now what do u guys think about all this?? Is it possible this guy told the director some bad things about me? I have this feeling some extra things were said about me that are either not true or didn't happen. Why would the director turn on me like that out of nowhere and even go so far to refuse to see or help me? Was I just absolutely rude & insolent? I'd really like to get some ideas as to what I'm dealing with and what to do. Is all of this because I defended the Quran???! Please tell me what you guys think it could be?? 

Salaam 3alaikum

Salaam alaikum, Livia, long time no see.

I don't know what his issue is but the director sounds very unprofessional and rude. I am sorry to hear that you going through this,sounds like trouble.

I would perhaps tell the chancellor or the Dean what you are going through with the director, as discrimination against somebody's religion is unacceptable and can be a violation of code in a university.

If it doesn't work out, consider transferring to a different university. You came there to learn, not suffer the contempt of another human being.

13 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum, Livia, long time no see.

I don't know what his issue is but the director sounds very unprofessional and rude. I am sorry to hear that you going through this,sounds like trouble.

I would perhaps tell the chancellor or the Dean what you are going through with the director, as discrimination against somebody's religion is unacceptable and can be a violation of code in a university.

If it doesn't work out, consider transferring to a different university. You came there to learn, not suffer the contempt of another human being.

Hi Gaius, thanks for getting back to me. How've you been? I guess my story was little confusing & long. I didn't speak up about Islam to the director, it was a different instructor whom I argued with over email. But I wanted to know if maybe all of what happened had gotten to the director. 

I grew up with a jewish sounding name, and l know a little about the white-trash playing the hate game in "the name of Gee. Zeus".  You are wasting your time trying to correct anyone because these are arrogant, self-assertive, under-developed personalities who fantasize they are born as-good-as baby jesus and have what it takes to show-off for him.

You'll never get anything "reasonable" in civility or attitude from these Satan-Siders because they are committed to the Words-of-the-Devil ( Gospels says, Satan says, "son of god"),  lie as their mentor Father Shatan does (Book-of-John, Chapter 8), and so forth.

So unless you have a witnessed Hate Crime or discrimination, you cannot win.

Just be careful.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

I grew up with a jewish sounding name, and l know a little about the white-trash playing the hate game in "the name of Gee. Zeus".  You are wasting your time trying to correct anyone because these are arrogant, self-assertive, under-developed personalities who fantasize they are born as-good-as baby jesus and have what it takes to show-off for him.

You'll never get anything "reasonable" in civility or attitude from these Satan-Siders because they are committed to the Words-of-the-Devil ( Gospels says, Satan says, "son of god"),  lie as their mentor Father Shatan does (Book-of-John, Chapter 8), and so forth.

So unless you have a witnessed Hate Crime or discrimination, you cannot win.

Just be careful.

So you think the professor's email over using my phone and the director's behaviour towards me in class is all due to me defending the Quran?? I was thinking maybe I'd just come off as rude and insolent when I answered back to the professor in the emails. It was a pretty long argument and I kept answering back like a ill-mannered spoiled school girl. The only reason I apologised is to show him that I am also respectful and well-mannered and am able to correct my ways if I unintentionally offend anyone. The apology was fake, no doubt. But then again he has control over my grade and I don't want that kind of trouble. 

Now about the director. In a previous class of his, 2 Muslim students did defend the Quran and Islam and he was very open-minded, basically didn't care at all. He never opens up religion as a topic nor anything with the middle east, it's just not his interest. Also he's NEVER said anything false or bad about Muslim religion in general. In fact, it seems like he has some knowledge of it. And the only students in his class who are his favourite are the 2 other Muslims. In fact, he gives them priority over most of us in the class. 

lf other students did the same and nothing was said, then you are likely singled out.

However, all instructors do not like classroom disruptions. l hear students play with their phones in class just as you see it in mosque.

2 hours ago, Livia said:

So you think the professor's email over using my phone and the director's behaviour towards me in class is all due to me defending the Quran?? I was thinking maybe I'd just come off as rude and insolent when I answered back to the professor in the emails. It was a pretty long argument and I kept answering back like a ill-mannered spoiled school girl. The only reason I apologised is to show him that I am also respectful and well-mannered and am able to correct my ways if I unintentionally offend anyone. The apology was fake, no doubt. But then again he has control over my grade and I don't want that kind of trouble. 

Now about the director. In a previous class of his, 2 Muslim students did defend the Quran and Islam and he was very open-minded, basically didn't care at all. He never opens up religion as a topic nor anything with the middle east, it's just not his interest. Also he's NEVER said anything false or bad about Muslim religion in general. In fact, it seems like he has some knowledge of it. And the only students in his class who are his favourite are the 2 other Muslims. In fact, he gives them priority over most of us in the class. 

I would suggest you to go to director and speak about if he has any complains against you by showing that you really have respect for him. Because it often happen that if you don't talk, situations gets worsed.