Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Charging money for doing homework halal or haram?

Rate this topic

I recently signed up on a site, where you get paid for doing other people's homework. I've rejected every assignment proposal that has asked for acknowledgement that the student has done it himself. I refrain from attempting tests or quizzes for people as well. Doing homework for people can be considered as help init? Just like your household or your tutor help you (that's my opinion). If anyone knows a proper mushtahid's verdict on the topic, feel free to answer, thank you!

• Veteran Member
20 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

its cheating for a person who is paying to do his job but not for himm. He is doing his work with his consent and charging for it. 

Based on your logic then its halal to sell Alcohol or Drugs since you're not the one consuming them.

This situation is no different. He's still committing a Haram act. He's just not on the receiving end of it, but on the production end of it.

To submit homework done by someone else is not only cheating but its damaging since you are not completing the required assigments necessary to master the material. He's providing the material to cheat with. 

Guest Umer lol

This is the person who asked the question: Akbar673 by your logic it's haram to manufacture guns since you're providing material that can lead to murder and violence, which are prohibited in Islam. 

What I ask of you guys is that if someone knows a fatwa correspondent to the topic, please leave a reply, keep your personal judgement and opinions out of this.

As far as your answer goes "Hasan-", that's you who's deeming it as cheating, I want to know if any mujtahid thinks it's cheating. Thank you everyone!

• Forum Administrators

@Hassan- @Akbar673 @Ron_Burgundy @shiaman14

Please sort the replies by the date. The OP has replied again.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Guest Umer lol said:

This is the person who asked the question: Akbar673 by your logic it's haram to manufacture guns since you're providing material that can lead to murder and violence, which are prohibited in Islam. 

What I ask of you guys is that if someone knows a fatwa correspondent to the topic, please leave a reply, keep your personal judgement and opinions out of this.

As far as your answer goes "Hasan-", that's you who's deeming it as cheating, I want to know if any mujtahid thinks it's cheating. Thank you everyone!

Doing people's assignments is cheating, how is it not?

Guest Umer again

@Hassan-

Same person: "Hassan-" I respect your opinion but obviously I can't take it for gospel. I feel it's going to be a pointless debate, me trying to shove my opinion of the situation on you, and you trying to convince me that's it's not halal. I want a knowledgeable person's verdict on it, not a morality preaching conference that this thread is turning out to be where people are fighting to uphold their convictions.

• Advanced Member

Some students have no time to do their homework but they are smart students. Back in university I worked and had no time to do my projects but I had the highest marks in the class. So I wouldn't see it as cheating. Plus homework is just homework. It's not like it's an exam that's going to be graded. Just something the teacher looks at.

Some people want others to do their homework so they can see how the problem is solved, etc. There are many reasons.

Guest Umer again and again
15 minutes ago, j.angel said:

Some students have no time to do their homework but they are smart students. Back in university I worked and had no time to do my projects but I had the highest marks in the class. So I wouldn't see it as cheating. Plus homework is just homework. It's not like it's an exam that's going to be graded. Just something the teacher looks at.

Some people want others to do their homework so they can see how the problem is solved, etc. There are many reasons.

Exactly!!!!! @j.angel

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Before anyone says it is harram or not allowed, I think you have to think a little logically.

Firstly, the student is willing to bear the consequences of letting someone do his homework, like we never know what the student is going through. What if the student has already done the homework and just wants to compare his one to a professional? Or what if the student had a very unfortunate event that happened and was unable to do the homework?

We need to quit labelling everything as harram and know that we can never know the intention of that student who wants his homework to be done. Anyways this OP who gets paid is doing his job by taking off his time and effort to do homework, so what is wrong with it.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans
  • 1 month later...
Guest Great Umer Bhai

Thank you to everyone for showing interest and dropping replies (albeit they were of no help whatsoever). I presented this question on sistani.org and they gave me a simple and comprehensive response: "Your income in the described case is HALAL". So for all the self-proclaimed MUFTIs, kindly refrain from passing your own judgement because, as made apparent in this case, most of you lack the knowledge. Directed at you @Hassan-, you are bit of a nuisance. Have a good day everyone!

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2017 at 4:24 PM, Guest Umer said:

I recently signed up on a site, where you get paid for doing other people's homework. I've rejected every assignment proposal that has asked for acknowledgement that the student has done it himself. I refrain from attempting tests or quizzes for people as well. Doing homework for people can be considered as help init? Just like your household or your tutor help you (that's my opinion). If anyone knows a proper mushtahid's verdict on the topic, feel free to answer, thank you!

It isn’t haram,  it might be stupid though... especially if there is a high risk getting caught, and if you are doing yourself a disservice.  But if you are just doing it to beat “the game” (since the grading system is after all just a big game constructed to enslave people in a working class after they graduate, constructed not for your interests and benefit but for the interests and benefit of corporations), then it is fine!  Do cheat, but be good at cheating and don’t get caught!  And yes,  you can do it in God’s name, for it would be a wise thing.  

Edited by eThErEaL