Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How do I stop ppl from spoofing my # ?

• Advanced Member

So I am getting calls from an angry women who claims I keep calling her number when I didn't. I did a search online and "spoofing" popped up. Spoofing is when a telemarketer or a prankster is calling from his own number, but he uses your number to mask his, so that when he dials   victims on his scamming spree, it shows your number on the victim caller ID instead his own. It is really annoying and I'm wondering if they can use this trick to steal  important information. How do I stop this- also I don't really want to change phone numbers anymore. I feel like I changed it so many times due to stupid things like that. plz help asap

• Veteran Member

Yesterday, l got a spoof of --US Gov't, General Services Administration.

l thought, "O.K. l'II bite" (translation: l'II play along)

Picked up the phone at got the same recorded "goofy girl gag" promo as l got two weeks ago.

Well, l got the entertainment value.

Miss W... you will just have to short-explain people for a while.

spoofing phone numbers is very illegal man. report it to your phone service provider so they can investigate. its serious enough that the offender will face serious fines. 

some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing 

Caller ID spoofing is generally illegal in the United States if done "with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value". The relevant federal statute, the Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009, does make exceptions for certain law-enforcement purposes. Callers are also still allowed to preserve their anonymity by choosing to block all outgoing caller ID information on their phone lines.

Under the act, which also targets VOIP services, it is illegal "to cause any caller identification service to knowingly transmit misleading or inaccurate caller identification information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value...." Forfeiture penalties or criminal fines of up to $10,000 per violation (not to exceed $1,000,000) could be imposed.[18] The law maintains an exemption for blocking one's own outgoing caller ID information, and law enforcement isn't affected.[27][28]

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-awareness/how-to-protect-yourself-from-caller-id-spoofing/

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id 

basically - report it to your phone service provider first of all man. this is no joke or prank.